Rear spoiler on 1995 SE - what good is it?

shaggy

I had to remove the spoiler from the rear of my Pathfinder as it will be in the way when I slide my dinghy onto the roof bars. The mounting protrusions of the window hinges still get in the way a bit.

Just curious if anyone has found the spoiler to be necessary? What is it supposed to do, anyway?

Shaggy

if you do not have a 3rd brake light the rear "spoiler" actually keeps your back window clean. Actually called wind deflector, it lost its effectiveness when they added a brake light under it and it changed the wind patterns.

Thanks for the replies.

Mine does have the third brake light.

Yeah I guessed it was meant to blow rain and dust off the rear window, not hold the rear wheels down(!)

I just put on my home made heavy-duty roof bars, which I put on every truck I own. They're 3-4 inches high and obviously right in the slipstream, so I guess the deflector would be useless now anyway. It did look kinda cool if you like that sort of thing, but i like it better off. I'll keep it on the parts shelf.

cheers

Shaggy

You anywhere close to Washington state? I need this! Mine got ripped off by a tree in the woods... friggin ridiculous.

Also, Garret, in (94?) 95 they added a couple "stabilizer" bars that go outboard of the brake light to cancel out any negative effects of the third brake light being in place.

You anywhere close to Washington state? I need this! Mine got ripped off by a tree in the woods... friggin ridiculous.

Also, Garret, in (94?) 95 they added a couple "stabilizer" bars that go outboard of the brake light to cancel out any negative effects of the third brake light being in place.

Sorry, don't want to get rid of it - I always hang onto stock parts. I reckon you could easily make one though.

PS - That's a bummer. Did the hinges get torn off with it?

Shaggy

Edited by shaggy

Sorry, don't want to get rid of it - I always hang onto stock parts. I reckon you could easily make one though.

PS - That's a bummer. Did the hinges get torn off with it?

Shaggy

I just gotta wait for a truck to hit the yard is all. common enough that I shouldn't be waiting too long! hinges are still there, but it took all four screws and ripped the threads out, so I'll need new hinges as well!

I just gotta wait for a truck to hit the yard is all. common enough that I shouldn't be waiting too long! hinges are still there, but it took all four screws and ripped the threads out, so I'll need new hinges as well!

I hope you find one. I guessed it would have taken out your hinges, that blade is pretty strong. Good luck.

Shaggy

75 is a bit rich for my blood! especially when I need the hinges too, I'll just watch the yards like a hawk! Do appreciate it though!

Its really shiny and pretty!

Make me an offer if you want, I might bite!

I can get a spoiler from the junkyard for $15 with hinges attached... I doubt you wanna go that low, yours might be new, but I'd hate to lose a shiny new one in the woods somewhere, cause it's bound to get ripped off again...

I can get a spoiler from the junkyard for $15 with hinges attached... I doubt you wanna go that low, yours might be new, but I'd hate to lose a shiny new one in the woods somewhere, cause it's bound to get ripped off again...

That's why you need an xterra rack in front of it! :D

James

I had to remove the spoiler from the rear of my Pathfinder as it will be in the way when I slide my dinghy onto the roof bars. The mounting protrusions of the window hinges still get in the way a bit.

Just curious if anyone has found the spoiler to be necessary? What is it supposed to do, anyway?

Shaggy

I have noticed that it helps to hold the back end down at speeds over 180mph.

I have noticed that it helps to hold the back end down at speeds over 180mph.

Yeah, I thought I noticed a slight wobble at around 190mph the other day. It straightened up nicely with a bit more throttle though. Still in 4th gear of course. And as always, with the handbrake on, just for safety. :bounce:

Shag