Manual transmission question

tekazgtr1984

Is there a difference between the manual transmission on a TD27-powered WD21 and that of the VG30E-powered WD21?

I'm looking at a '92 Terrano R3M and when I first when to check it out on Saturday, things were good. I was supposed to finalize the sale today but when did another quick check, the underside of the transmission was noticeably wet with gear oil. Between today and Saturday the seller put approx. 1,200km of highway mileage on the truck and noticed nothing out of the ordinary during the drive.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first foray into the WD21 universe.

They run the same tranny.

Are you sure its gear oil? If you have an RMS leak it will drip out the weep hole on the bell housing and get caught in the wind and run back. Other engine leaks can wind up in the under body too.

Whatever the source, It may be only a few drops a day times a few years rather than a lager leak that coated everything quickly.

If you don't back down, wipe everything down and see if you can find the source when you look for fresh trails.

Are you sure its gear oil? If you have an RMS leak it will drip out the weep hole on the bell housing and get caught in the wind and run back. Other engine leaks can wind up in the under body too.

Whatever the source, It may be only a few drops a day times a few years rather than a lager leak that coated everything quickly.

If you don't back down, wipe everything down and see if you can find the source when you look for fresh trails.

Nope, it was gear oil. Clear brown, funny smell. Definitely not motor oil. And remember, it's not a VG-powered WD21.

In any case, the seller took it to a transmission shop this morning, and the gasket's shot.

its prob the gear shifter seal!!! the four bolts that hold the stick in the trans.. i noticed mine was all caked with oil when i got it.. maybe thats where its coming from

Noted. Thanks for the input. :)

The truck's getting a full inspection Friday morning so I imagine everything will be checked and double-checked. Hopefully, it's mine by Friday. :happy:

Is there a difference between the manual transmission on a TD27-powered WD21 and that of the VG30E-powered WD21?

...And remember, it's not a VG-powered WD21.

smiley_on_tredmil.gifJust_Cuz_15.gifsmiley_on_tredmil.gif