CB Antenna Chat

Tungsten

Why do you put the CB antenna back there? That thing goes on the TOP of the truck and nowhere else.

because i am NOT drilling holes all over my truck to look cool. i talk to people within a 3 mile radius of me, it's where i WANT it. ;)

Why do you put the CB antenna back there? That thing goes on the TOP of the truck and nowhere else.

Low mounted antennas hit crap when off the pavement, mount a 4 foot antenna to your roof and really get it tangled into stuff. When it's primary use is trail communication back and fourth, you don't need to talk 4 counties over to truckers complain about those little 4 wheelers not giving them any road respect :treadmill:

On my old hardbody, I would run, and I think they are the best antenna, a Wilson 1000 perm mount on the roof, they also sell a magnet mount, they are nice because the whip is real skinny and flex's very well. Back when I had the triple double roll bar in the bed, I had a 4' firestick fiberglass whip on top of the light bar with a spring for normal street use than would remove the 4' whip and replace it with a 2' one as Nunya said, when your in a group wheeling the shorter antenna works good enough for the close range.

But it's your ride and as you said it's where you want it

A roof mount is the best because it is the most effective. Remember what you see as an antenna is not an actual antenna! Your whole truck is an antenna along with that wire that sticks out. CB waves are very TALL and LONG because the frequency they operate at is very LOW. So the taller your wire sticks up, the better reception you will have. If there is anything that pisses me off more is those illegal export only amplifiers that crowd the entire CB channel. If you are worried about the antenna hitting things, there are things you can do to make it more flexible.

Edited by Tungsten

A roof mount is the best because it is the most effective. Remember what you see as an antenna is not an actual antenna! Your whole truck is an antenna along with that wire that sticks out. CB waves are very TALL and LONG because the frequency they operate at is very LOW. So the taller your wire sticks up, the better reception you will have. If there is anything that pisses me off more is those illegal export only amplifiers that crowd the entire CB channel. If you are worried about the antenna hitting things, there are things you can do to make it more flexible.

That's all great and dandy but for two things-

Philosophy of use- Most 4 wheelers don't care about range. I know my cb only needs to communicate within my group (anywhere from 2 trucks to 50 trucks) who are all reasonably within line of sight, or shouting distance.....so a low/mid mount fiberglass cb is better than a roof mount whip that will be a PITA....

This isn't a 'criticize people's cb setups' thread...its a wanted ad for a tail light..

----------------

because i am NOT drilling holes all over my truck to look cool. i talk to people within a 3 mile radius of me, it's where i WANT it. ;)

More power to ya! I love my tire carrier for that same reason, no holes in the body panels, and it keeps it away from most danger!

Food for thought- the jeepers typically use a little bracket that screws into the body where the tail light is, and protrudes with the cb mount....

Edited by OldSlowReliable

last reply off topic, that's why I mentioned the long and short antenna, way back when CB's were really popular our group did use them quite a bit to communicate to where we were going to meet,etc so the long range was usable, but as I said swapping the normal antenna to the short one worked fine when in close quarters,Also don't forget the reason to mount the antenna on the roof in the center is to have an equal signal 360 degrees around the vehicle as mounting an antenna on a corner makes it most directional the opposite way, ex. pass. rear would pick up best forward and to the drivers side, but as stated in a close group it wouldn't matter. back on topic now.

May be making a junkyard run this weekend I'll keep my eyes open for you.

That's all great and dandy but for two things-

Philosophy of use- Most 4 wheelers don't care about range. I know my cb only needs to communicate within my group (anywhere from 2 trucks to 50 trucks) who are all reasonably within line of sight, or shouting distance.....so a low/mid mount fiberglass cb is better than a roof mount whip that will be a PITA....

This isn't a 'criticize people's cb setups' thread...its a wanted ad for a tail light..

More power to ya! I love my tire carrier for that same reason, no holes in the body panels, and it keeps it away from most danger!

Food for thought- the jeepers typically use a little bracket that screws into the body where the tail light is, and protrudes with the cb mount....

I sit 100% in your corner. I wheel mainly in tight wooded trails, if i cared about damage that much, i wouldn't wheel my truck. It happens, it's what my truck is for (and my DD lol), and sheit happens. btw, i had the same set up on my Jeep... i was actually going to raise my antenna up to the top holes while at Badlands... guess I should've hahaha.

..... but as stated in a close group it wouldn't matter. back on topic now.

:aok: it's all i use my CB for is close quarters communications while wheeling. if Seth doesn't snag me one today, I may just hoof on over to the JY Saturday and snag a few spares, was just hoping to give a NPORA member some money, and lighten their spares load lols

BACK ON TOPIC NOW PLEASE!!! my antenna is going to be where I WANT IT, because it's MY TRUCK, and it works more than PERFECT for what I use it for. k thx bai *stomps foot and kicks dirt* :lol:

the light would've got broken regardless if the antenna was there or not... the tree was still there, just on the other side of the antenna lol :rofl:

Edited by Slick

last reply off topic, that's why I mentioned the long and short antenna, way back when CB's were really popular our group did use them quite a bit to communicate to where we were going to meet,etc so the long range was usable, but as I said swapping the normal antenna to the short one worked fine when in close quarters,Also don't forget the reason to mount the antenna on the roof in the center is to have an equal signal 360 degrees around the vehicle as mounting an antenna on a corner makes it most directional the opposite way, ex. pass. rear would pick up best forward and to the drivers side, but as stated in a close group it wouldn't matter. back on topic now.

Correct, mounting the antenna on the roof also increases its line of sight.

I don't know how well the range will be on the tire carrier but if you say it works for small groups then I guess it works.

I don't mean to jack the thread but it bugs me every time people use stupid antenna mounts and illegal export only amps. :jacked:

Now let's find you some tail lights!

Correct, mounting the antenna on the roof also increases its line of sight.

I don't know how well the range will be on the tire carrier but if you say it works for small groups then I guess it works.

I don't mean to jack the thread but it bugs me every time people use stupid antenna mounts and illegal export only amps. :jacked:

Now let's find you some tail lights!

i know i have at least a 2 mile range. and remember, i have a less than fabulous cb..... your antenna is only as good as what it's plugged in to.