Rear shocks for 2" lift

XPLORx4

Hi guys,

I need some very specific advice from those of you who have the AC 2" lift installed on a 96-99 R50. Earlier this year I replaced my 8-year-old, worn-out Rancho RS9010 shocks. I purchased (from AC) the Rancho 9000 shocks they sell as part of the 2" lift. The part number I received from them is RS999112. The shock bodies are 2.75" in diameter and the shock bodies must be on the bottom in order to work properly.

Here are the specs:

Rancho RS999112

Upper mount: L1

Lower mount: L1

Compressed length: 16.125"

Extended length: 26.000"

Travel: 9.875"

Body diameter: 2.75"

Unfortunately, during extreme articulation, there is insufficient clearance between the panhard rod and the shock, resulting in this:

ranchoshockdent.jpg?w=19e2a542

That shock now "sticks" in certain places along its travel length. Additionally, the amount of damping it provides is not very much. Even with the adjustment knob maxxed out, the damping is only marginally good enough to limit bouncing when my Pathy is empty. When full of gear and people, it's a little too bouncy.

The RS9010 shocks I had before didn't have this problem. The shock bodies were narrower, I was able to mount them upside-down, and the adjustment range allowed for a very wide range of damping.

Does anyone have good experiences with a different shock brand and/or part number? Note: this is for 2" AC lift, not stock or SFD.

Thanks.

Edited by XPLORx4

I personally love the Rancho RS5000's, it is the shock I went with when I had the 2" lift and now I have 6" lift and still run the RS5000's just alot longer. I originally got them from AC but my new ones I had to customize to fit my lift. I have never had a problem with these shocks and recently sold my old ranchos to a buddy of mine and he loves them.

Edited by muddfildvaynes

Does anyone have part numbers for the Rancho 5000's or the Procomp ES3000's? (Part number on Rancho is usually stamped on the shock body.)

And Phantom01, what modification did you have to do to the ES3000's?

Thanks.

Edited by XPLORx4

fleurys- what orientation are you running those shocks in? If it's not too inconvenient, could you take a look at the shock body and see if it is stamped with "mount this side down" (or something like that)? Also, what is the diameter of the shock body?

Thanks for your help!

fleurys- what orientation are you running those shocks in? If it's not too inconvenient, could you take a look at the shock body and see if it is stamped with "mount this side down" (or something like that)? Also, what is the diameter of the shock body?

Thanks for your help!

I just went under the truck for you :-)

The orientation is with the dial at the bottom.. I'm pretty sure I saw mount this way stamped on it when I installed them long time ago.... right now I could not see without removing the wheel...so I did not do it... but since they have oil in ut and that the valving is controlled with the dial, it make a lot of sens that the shock has to be with the dial down so taht the dial can change the ammount of oil that is passed within a specified time... If the dial was installed up, the oil would not be going there.... I'll try to find a closeup of the shock with the stamps on it.

The body diameter is exactly 2.2 inches.

S.

And Phantom01, what modification did you have to do to the ES3000's?

Thanks.

The eyelets on the tops and bottoms were too big so i bought i believe 5/8in diameter copper tubing to press into the shock mounts. Those worked for the tops, but on the bottoms i used garden hose type material because the 5/8 copper tubing didnt fit over the studs on the bottoms. The garden hose type material i used on the bottom, i have no idea what the size was, just found it laying around the garage and it ended up working...