Rocky Mtn R50's

Rick13

Thunderbolt and I went camping/wheeling over near Buena Vista, CO (actually closer to St Elmo) and ran a handful of trails (Colorado Trail Ratings included). I don't think either of us wanted to post up a full trail report, so here is a quick synopsis for our NPORA R50 folks...

Mt Antero (3-4):

http://vimeo.com/27871530

2011-08-13_11-52-21_710.jpg

2011-08-13_11-56-20_269.jpg

Grizzly Lake (5-6):

Thunderbolt entrance to trail:

http://vimeo.com/27871391

Thunderbolt exit from trail:

http://vimeo.com/27871707

Rick entering trail (dash cam):

http://vimeo.com/27871622

Mary Murphy Mine off of Hancock Pass (3-4):

2011-08-13_16-14-37_204.jpg

Mt Princeton (2-3):

2011-08-14_12-24-41_905.jpg

Edited by Rick13

Thanks guys, it was a fun trip.

I have photos but they are mostly of my youngest son. I do have about 3 videos worth watching that are uploading right now:

1 - Me getting way too tippy on a switchback on Mt Antero (2 wheel teeter-totter/pucker action)

2 - Thunderbolt going up the entrance to Grizzly Lake (a 6 rated obstacle) that almost looks impossible when approaching it

3 - Thunderbolt going down the same entrance

Thunderbolt actually took a real camera (I just used my phone) and might have better photos. I know he took video of me entering Grizzly Lake so I'll try to see if I can get that here (or at least the link).

I grew up in Buena Vista and have driven up all those roads. Pretty drive and fun 4 wheeling. Lots of pucker places up there too with some of the roads going across rock slides with the first stopping place if you went off being a couple hundred feet down the hill. Those switch backs are super tight too, I'd have to do a 3 point turn to get around some of them in my jeep comanche! Someday I'll get back up there and do those trails again. Last time I went to Grizzly lake was to go fishing and remember blowing a tire halfway up that section you're speaking of. Not fun changing out a tire on that! That section of road was tricky but definitely wasn't a 6 rated obstacle 10 years ago but got worse every time I've ever been up there so I can believe that it's probably pretty bad now. Can't wait to see more pictures of that area though!

Last time I went to Grizzly lake was to go fishing and remember blowing a tire halfway up that section you're speaking of. Not fun changing out a tire on that! That section of road was tricky but definitely wasn't a 6 rated obstacle 10 years ago but got worse every time I've ever been up there so I can believe that it's probably pretty bad now. Can't wait to see more pictures of that area though!

Yeah, absolutely beautiful country.

We weren't mentally prepared for the immediate rock ledge to get up on to Grizzly Lake trail. It actually wasn't too hard with the line we both chose, but after about 40 yards you make a hard right on to more granite scraggy rock/boulders and loose dirt/rocks. 33's are probably the minimum to even consider the first few hundred yards of that trail. In fact, we decided not to run the whole thing because a huge group was exiting the trail telling us how "crappy" the entire trail was to run (meaning that it was all work and no fun to run to the end). Met up with a Jeeper on 35's who said he ran it and never remembered it being such a pain in the arse to get through. We were kind of glad we didn't continue past the first long hill climb after the first 2 main obstacles. One of us would have broken something.

I've never been on Grizzly before this but I've been up many 5-6 rated trails in Colorado, and this was right in there somewhere - rock ledges, loose boulder field (1-2ft in diameter), steep climb, flex out/dugout holes everywhere. Slider checks were in order several times...

My pathy wishes she was there to join in the sfd goodness

Just let us know if you ever head up this way Andrew. You'd be more than welcome.

Here's on the way to the top of Mt. Antero

208.jpg

209.jpg

Near the top at 13840ft of elevation according to the Gps.

232.jpg

Theses pictures were taking near a mine

292.jpg

295.jpg

Here on the toward the top of Mt. Princeton

Edited by Thunderbolt

Awesome!! I'd love to hit some trails with you guys, I live out in Pueblo West..My girl and I are heading out to Durango this Friday for a three day weekend. We are going to do some passes up near Telluride! :D If you have any suggestions for me in that area, LMK. I know of a bunch of the passes, but haven't been on any yet.

FYI, I am at stock suspension, and just put some Cragar Soft 8's on with 31's. Just little rubbing at full-lock. :D

You need to plan a trip up hear next year, maybe around May when possibly do a trip to Moab or come out hear in August and maybe do a Ouray Teleuride trip.

Awesome pics and vids as always guys! I wish there were cool places to take trips to in Texas but there really isnt.

You need to plan a trip up hear next year, maybe around May when possibly do a trip to Moab or come out hear in August and maybe do a Ouray /Teleuride trip.

Awesome pics and vids as always guys! I wish there were cool places to take trips to in Texas but there really isnt.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I haven't been out in the Ouray area for a couple of years, so I don't know how the trail condition are out there lately, but you can possibly do most of the trails out there with your Rig.. but depending on expericance, if you havent wheel much, stay off Black Bear Pass! it's not a biggie in my book, but there a couple of spots you really need pay attention and not be afraid of heights, also can't be a hero on the switch backs on the down side of Bridal falls(continuse turning)... people have rolled of the that section, due to soft shoulder ... But if you want to take the scenic way go to Teleuride by highway and the take Imogene back to Ouray, I did it back when my Pathy just had All terrains, that is a very beutiful trail.and on the other side of hwy550 or the million dollars hwy is the Corkscrew Gulch in which is fun and connects to a bunch of other trails. Make sure to all the off roading books with you and get a good map of the local area is a plus. Man.. I miss it out there so much.

Awesome!! I'd love to hit some trails with you guys, I live out in Pueblo West..My girl and I are heading out to Durango this Friday for a three day weekend. We are going to do some passes up near Telluride! :D If you have any suggestions for me in that area, LMK. I know of a bunch of the passes, but haven't been on any yet.

FYI, I am at stock suspension, and just put some Cragar Soft 8's on with 31's. Just little rubbing at full-lock. :D

I haven't been out in the Ouray area for a couple of years, so I don't know how the trail condition are out there lately, but you can possibly do most of the trails out there with your Rig.. but depending on expericance, if you havent wheel much, stay off Black Bear Pass! it's not a biggie in my book, but there a couple of spots you really need pay attention and not be afraid of heights, also can't be a hero on the switch backs on the down side of Bridal falls(continuse turning)... people have rolled of the that section, due to soft shoulder ... But if you want to take the scenic way go to Teleuride by highway and the take Imogene back to Ouray, I did it back when my Pathy just had All terrains, that is a very beutiful trail.and on the other side of hwy550 or the million dollars hwy is the Corkscrew Gulch in which is fun and connects to a bunch of other trails. Make sure to all the off roading books with you and get a good map of the local area is a plus. Man.. I miss it out there so much.

I'd take Ophir Pass (from 550 near Silverton) in to Telluride and then Imogine Pass over to Ouray. Unbelievable views. Imogene might give you some fun challenges if you're running stock, but I think it is totally doable. Corkscrew Gulch up to the higher passes (like Thunderbolt said) would be really good for a stock rig and the views are unbeatable. I'd make sure you head up to Engineer Pass (to the overlook) and then you can turn back and explore Animas Forks (old mining town). Yankee Boy Basin out of Ouray is also a great trail for stock rigs (a little challenge at the end but nothing to break you).

Ophir:

IMG_0571.jpg

• 2 years later...