Turbo-whine like whistle from front end of car

PerlNinja

Mine does it at any speed, well, above 30km/h really. As soon as you lift off the gas it starts softly whistling, like something is spinning down. Get on the gas a little bit, it whistles "slower", get on the gas to keep your speed the same and it's gone. At first I thought it's the wheel bearings, but after driving around a bit with my head out the window it's really coming from the engine bay somewhere... dunno what it is :D

front differential perhaps? AFAIK, the R50 has drive plates so the front differential is always spinning.

I wish, it'd mean my 2WD secretly turned into a 4WD :D

Ah! It could be a belt then, and at the higher engine speed, it's making it slip ever so slightly. replace that belt and see if the noise also goes away.

Hmm, that could be it, given that lately whenever the AC clutch engages the belt driving it chirps something fierce, so might just be time to replace the belts. Weird though cos I checked them not too long ago and they seemed fine, but have to admit I've been pushing the terry a little lately.

i had installed need belts and they are loud wine noise and you can hear it until like 50 then my exhuast is to loud. what rpm does your motor idle at?

Varies a little bit, 600 with the AC on, about 700/800 with AC off. It had a fuel filter change (the old one got so clogged my engine would stall out on idle) and I had to tweak the carb some to get my regular idle back. The thing is though, I listened to it a bit more yesterday and it's not the belts slipping. The belt driving the AC does slip but only when the AC clutch engages and I'm over 3000 RPM; and it's a loud chirp.

The sound I described might be something totally different though, I thought it couldn't be my bearings since usually when they go off they make a way different whine, but the fact it only happens when I'm letting up on the gas makes me thinks it's either the bearings going off, or my brake disks have gone screwy again (the dirt/water on the road here at times causes gunk to build up between the pads and the brake disks, or even causes the calipers to stick and not retract fully). Not sure which one of these it could be.

I might just go for a complete suspension and brake maintenance round, see if that changes anything. Now to find a shop that won't charge me an arm and a leg and fskcs it up :/

The whine thing could be three things:

1. Dirty throttle body. Just spray carb cleaner into the throttle plate and the sound will be gone. I solved my whine issue this way.

2. Bad A/C pulley or idler pulley/belt tensioner. A common problem on older Nissans.

3. Intake or EGR valve vacuum leak. The upper intake plenum gasket is usually the culprit but it could be something as simple as a loose or cracked hose.

Edited by Tungsten

The whine thing could be three things:

1. Dirty throttle body. Just spray carb cleaner into the throttle plate and the sound will be gone. I solved my whine issue this way.

2. Bad A/C pulley or idler pulley/belt tensioner. A common problem on older Nissans.

3. Intake or EGR valve vacuum leak. The upper intake plenum gasket is usually the culprit but it could be something as simple as a loose or cracked hose.

I'm thinking AC pulley; given that it's gotten a habit of chirping like a fiend when the clutch engages, that pulley/clutch assembly might be hitting it's shelf life. Hoses are also an option since people here do tend to leave hoses on until they're cracked, which also doesn't take long with the climate down here.

Could be a transmission bearing. The forces on the bearing will likely vary whether you are on or off the gas. I think mine has an issue like this (I know my transmission is in bad shape) but I wouldn't say it is a whistling exactly...

Could be a transmission bearing. The forces on the bearing will likely vary whether you are on or off the gas. I think mine has an issue like this (I know my transmission is in bad shape) but I wouldn't say it is a whistling exactly...

That's not it, I'd hear it more from where the tranny is I figure, this actually comes way from the front of the car, had a friend with me the other day so we played "let's triangulate this noise" :P Turns out it's coming from the area where the AC compressor is mounted, so I guess it's about time to swap bits there, or at the very least see if I can figure out wtf's going on up in there.

Mine has a whistling noise at the front and it is the bearing in the a/c compressor, the one that it rides on while the a/c is not engaged. I took the belt off and it is so quiet without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62o-77HablA

go to about 40 seconds in and when the a/c compressor turns off you can hear it.

Edited by adamzan

Score.

That'd be it; I suspected this already since today I actually ran the car for a while with the AC off (since it was frakkin cold outside, for some wacky reason) and noticed the noise ain't there. Turned the AC on, get the by-now customary chirp off the belt/clutch engaging, and tah-dah the noise is back. Turn AC off, no more noise when slowing down.

Well farq.

Guess I'm going to be looking for a new AC compressor, can't really do without considering the 100+ temps we get here, and if I have wife +kidlet with me they're not going to appreciate not having it :/