please help , mounting CB radio

tsailor21

hi all i just got a CB from a friend but i dont know where to mount it so that it is out of the way. i want to mount it below thw stero but I took of the plastic and there is this black eletrical box

please help

I've had mine mounted in two places, which may or may not work for you....they both WORKED for me, but only one really served my needs.

1st- Under the radio. My pathy has the abs module mounted under the radio in a box sorta thing molded to the dash, but my small cobra cb fit perfectly in that cavity, and with some finesse did not interfere with the auto shifter/transfer case.

Last- On the back of my center console. I have no armrest (haven't for years) so attaching it facing straight up there has really worked wonderful. I kept my mic mounted to the center console right next to the ebrake on the upper most facet...works great, out of the way for 90% of the time I'm not using it.

18ft of cable has done me well, although 12 feet or so would probably work just as well. I have a fair amount coiled (correctly) under my rear seats, and some to spare for the back. This will depend greatly on where you decide to mount it.

I mounted my little Cobra in the cubby underneith the radio. I then ran the coax cable up under/behind the dash, out the passengers side door up by the door hinges & behind the inner fenderwell lower corner & zip tied the cable up around the frame, out between the body & rear bumper up to the tire rack. Mounted the bracket to the flat gussets in the upper right corner of the tire rack. Worked good for me. The only thing I didn't care for was....CB in the cubby so tight, couldn't really hear the CB speaker that well.

I mounted mine in the center console. I dont really use the compartment for storage, and I wanted to keep it concealed. Remember to keep the coax cable away from any control units(electrical feedback, ect). I have a couple of pics in my build thread.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17128&st=0

Go to post #19 on the first page. Gives you a idea on how I did everything.

Oh, there is another thread that was floated around not to long ago, on where everyone mounted thier cb's. Try searching a bit and you might find it(General topics section?). There is a lot of people to rang into that one.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

In my Terrano I ditched the ash tray and fitted a small but powerful UHF Cb in place of it,

my ariel is mounted on my bullbar and gives excellent reception over a large distance

Cheers neil

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I never use the ashtray it just sits full of random stuff. How long was your radio? I might try and stuff my uniden pro520XL in there.

I have mine wedged between my passenger seat and center console at the moment... final placement will more than likely be under the stereo though. on the back of the center console seems like a good idea too!

If you're looking for a place to bring the cable out of the car, there's a little rubber bung (a couple, actually) in the rear quarter panel that could work. One is on the inside (you'll see it from underneath) and is fairly large. The other is covered by the bumper corner, and is rather smaller. I think I'd use the smaller one, just cut a hole in it, force the cable through and stick it back in, maybe with a little caulk to keep it sealed.

The plastic trim inside the back comes out on snaps, so just pull out the little access hatch thingy (I think it's for changing tail light bulbs), grab the panel, and give it a good yank. You should be able to route the cable into the empty space in there through the end (IIRC there are a couple wires already in that area, and a nearby carpet seam to route the wire under).

ok so i got it mounted and all the wires and coax run. it is mounted under the radio where th abs box was mounted. it turned out that it just bolted right in and the coax is run in through the rear hatch and under th carpet all the waty to in front of the shifter. i used a metal coat hanger to help route the coax and i wired my power from the cig lighter so i will never get left on

thanks for the help and pics

Edited by tsailor21