o2 sensors

So I have been noticing that a) I was getting terrible mpg and B) there was some white smoke coming from the exhuast when I accelerated/ started up the car. So I started to check my oil levels, nothing.

So I gave up and took it the garage. They hooked it up to the machine, did a diagnostics and found that it was an o2 sensor (1 of 4) that was shot. They wanted to charge me something like 1000 for all 4 and 350 for just the one that was busted.

I did some research and found that parts on the Nissan parts site, they are about 150 a piece and read some articles on how to do it. My question is if anyone has done this and would care to tell me how hard it is. From the write up I feel like im am capable enough to undertake this, but I have been bitten off more then I can chew before and I'm a bit gun shy.

I guess the part Im the least clear on is the reconnecting of the sensor wire back to the wire harness.

If anyone has some input I would greatly appreciated it.

$1000 for O2 sensor replacements is a huge ripoff. Rockauto.com has OEM direct fit O2 sensors for much less than $150 a pop. These come with factory connections, no splicing necessary.

Which O2 sensor you planning on replacing?

yah that what I was thinking when they told me the cost. Im not sure which one is busted, they wouldnt tell me, Ill call back and see if someone will just tell me now, its been a week, hopefully they will let it slip. :)

Yah I was thinking that 1000 was way over priced and thats why i didnt have them work on it. Im thing at the cost of 60-80 buck per sensor I would just do all of them at once, save the hassel.

Does anyone still have the part numbers from the ones they used?

I got my code scanner at princess auto for like 40 bucks. Its just a basic one but it works. I think part source loans them out too. (you have to give them a credit card but you can do it in the parking lot so its not a big deal)