'96 R50 intermittently won't start

dkpath96

One night after driving to the gas station and fueling, I got in the vehicle, turned the key, and there was no start - just dead silence. All the indicator lights lit, the headlights stayed lit, etc. but no starter turn-over. No codes, either.

I had to push-start it to get it home. The next day, my cousin and I tried to start it while wiggling some wires and doing some wiring diagnostics, but found no problems - and it didn't start. After a good battery terminal cleaning, and applying dielectric grease to them, it fired right up.

Problem solved... or not.

It still intermittently will do this - turn the key, no start. But the clock doesn't lose time, no lights dim, and the terminals are still clean and tight. Which leads me to believe the battery isn't losing connectivity. I haven't done a load test on the battery.

When it does start, which is fairly often (9 times out of 10) it sounds like it always has - starts in a couple turns with no problem, "like new".

And here is another strange addition: I've found that when it does this, all I have to do is move the gearshift (it is a standard) in and out of 1st, and voila, it starts. I've tried engaging and disengaging the clutch while trying to start, but with no luck. Just shifting - will start.

What the heck is going on??

Edited by dkpath96

I also had this issue, but only immediately after cleaning my engine bay. I chalked this up to some overspray of Pledge getting where it shouldn't have. I no longer had this issue after a few days. I got my battery tested at Nissan for free and it checked out. I was going to suggest cleaning the battery terminals, but you've already done so. Perhaps try cleaning the other end of them.

How old is your fuel filter?

Edited by Towncivilian

Sounds like it's a starter issue, or even the cables running from the starter to the battery. Check for loose or corroded connections between the starter and battery. If they look good, it could be your starter.

Alternatively, that "first gear" thing you mentioned may indicate an electrical problem with the neutral safety switch.

Hi there, quick test for you leave clutch out turn your key. You should get the same problem, pop the clutch in and it should turn over. If that idiot switch is failing you will get those symptoms.

The bad news is it is just in front of the gear shift housing. So you have to crawl under there to check the wires if you look up from where the driveshaft meets the transmission you should be able to see it. By the looks of the manual you might be able to see it if you remove to console and look down.

My R50 goes in for trailing arms Monday, I will ask the Mechanic if you can remove that switch without taking the transmission out.

had the same problem, all indicator lights were "on" and checked battery connection and car still wont start, sometimes it would and sometimes not. I also had the battery changed to a new and bigger battery, problem was still there. Changed the statrer and problem was solved.

• 2 years later...

I'm starting to have this problem. a couple of times I go to start the car and dead silince . battery check OK. I thinking that I have a problem with the park switch. (automatic tranny). is there a¨"easy" way to check that wsitch?

Not sure about an easy way to check the switch but, have you checked the engine grounds? Battery cable connections at the posts?

*edit ... I just noticed the suggestions that were previously mentioned. [/baldmoment]

Edited by devonianwalk