95 pathy click click but no start!

Hi y'all I've been having intermittent problems with the pathy starting..It's really weird sometimes it starts right up and other times it just clicks...

The weird thing is when I turn the steering wheel hard it'll engage and start...until now!! now that won't work either ..

I checked relays fuses wires(visually) and it all seems to be ok. My question is could it actually be the starter???

The starter clicks but doesn't engage.. the weird thing is the steering wheel thing why would turning the steering wheel make it work??? a short maybe?

Anything you guys think it might be or have had the same problems???

Thanks

take the starter out and bench test it if it fails a bench test replace it if it passes then your problem could be in the ignition switch and have contacts going bad

how hard is it to take out the ignition and check the contacts? cause of the steering wheel thing I'm thinking it's up in the column somewhere

you can remove the cover for the column with 4 screws from the bottom, then all the wiring will be exposed and you can see if anything is pinched. be careful when you poke around in there, one of the wires is hot.

This is just my 2 cents..so dont take it seriously..but..have you done anything to the alarm system? New key? Anything? Im thinking if it has somethign to do with the steering wheel, seeing how if you lock the steering wheel, you have to turn the wheel some to get the wheelKEY (heh..i was tired when i wrote this..) to turn..so im thinking the alarm system could be killing the starter..like i said just my two cents..jjust an idea..hope everything goes well :D

Edited by NissanNismoZ

This is just my 2 cents..so dont take it seriously..but..have you done anything to the alarm system? New key? Anything? Im thinking if it has somethign to do with the steering wheel, seeing how if you lock the steering wheel, you have to turn the wheel some to get the wheel to turn..so im thinking the alarm system could be killing the starter..like i said just my two cents..jjust an idea..hope everything goes well :D

I think you got something there NissanNismoZ I didn't install or mess with an alarm but while I was looking for the wire problem I noticed a little toggle switch someone installed on the left plastic cover beneath the fuse panel. I followed the wires to a little black box I think might be an aftermarket alarm or disabling device.

I have NO CLUE on how to disable this thing maybe just unsplice the wires and reconnect the originals (Hmmmmnnnn) this might work!

Thanx NissanNismoZ

I gotta go to work in a minute so I'll check tmorrow

I think you got something there NissanNismoZ I didn't install or mess with an alarm but while I was looking for the wire problem I noticed a little toggle switch someone installed on the left plastic cover beneath the fuse panel. I followed the wires to a little black box I think might be an aftermarket alarm or disabling device.

I have NO CLUE on how to disable this thing maybe just unsplice the wires and reconnect the originals (Hmmmmnnnn) this might work!

Thanx NissanNismoZ

I gotta go to work in a minute so I'll check tmorrow

Woot! Try seeing if you can find any sort of LED around that area.. Maybe try flipping the switch when it will start, to see if it acts any different? Most aftermarket systems..well..any that i have seen will have an LED somewhere around the area you're talking about. Of course..do the switch flipping-play when you're home so it doesnt leave you stranded. :)

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!!

Most aftermarket alarms will have a ignition kill, usually the installer will cut the thick wire inside the steering column covers, if you remove the covers look for a thick wire that has been cut with butt terminals on each end of the 2 wires, most likely each side of the cut wire will run down to the alarm module, to put it back to stock, just join the 2 wire halves back together.

it has noting to do with the alarm as there is power getting to the starter solenoid it just not engaging the bendix gear and motor, turning the steering wheel turns attenting that there maybe a issue with ign/switch but im leaning towards the starter itself, if there was a aftermarket alarm you may have a bad conection in the column as stated by others

Edited by WarehouseRat

if you mud opr off road alot its probably dirt and @!*% getting into your starter through things such as the distributor .mine did that too i usually go and turn the belts a little then it starts.or you can disconnect the positive battery cable and then try it again.

Keep turning key, may take an hour of it, but if it eventually works, it'll be a burnt out part of the armichure, just buy a secondhand starter. Mine does the same thing, I still use it but 2 times in last 3months iv been stuck trying to start for over an hour..... and one of those times when it finally worked i had a flat battery... all in good fun.

mine does it. i'm broke, i pulled the top half of my steering column cover off and if you can wiggle the brown plastic piece opposite your key slot, try holding it in place. always works for me.

took the steering covers off and check the wiring everything looks alright the ignition itself seems to be a little loose though..

I'm havin a few beer right now and I'm off for the next 10 days so I'll go out and tear the starter off tomorrow ..

I took a look at the wires goin to the starter and one is lookin a little green might be the problem I'll get back to ya asap!!

BTW thanks for all the input it's very helpful as always!

Are you a 5 speed? Smack the Inhibitor relay by the battery(big blue relay), while someone else cranks it over. Pretty common failure. If its a automatic, there is a writeup in the grage section I do belive on doing some rewiring to the starter. You can also try smacking the starter when cranking over, that will tell you its the starter(or you can check for power to the solenoid).

Got it fixed guys (PITA) jacked up the pathy ,removed the front passenger tire,undid the starter bolts , tried to get the starter out but there was no way it was coming out without taking the oil filter out.

I didn't get a new filter or the oil yet..(Pathy's my only ride) So I disconnected the wires to the starter and found the contact from the MAIN positive from the battery was really really dirty greasy.

cleaned all the contacts and put it back on just for sh@ts and giggles and viola it starts like a charm!

Thanks for all your help guys

Now the pathy lives!!!!muwahaha!

Off to the BEER store!!!!!!

Got it fixed guys (PITA) jacked up the pathy ,removed the front passenger tire,undid the starter bolts , tried to get the starter out but there was no way it was coming out without taking the oil filter out.

I didn't get a new filter or the oil yet..(Pathy's my only ride) So I disconnected the wires to the starter and found the contact from the MAIN positive from the battery was really really dirty greasy.

cleaned all the contacts and put it back on just for sh@ts and giggles and viola it starts like a charm!

Thanks for all your help guys

Now the pathy lives!!!!muwahaha!

Off to the BEER store!!!!!!

Lol

step 1 try to start it

step 2 try again

step 3 hit it with a hammer

step 4 cuss at it

Repeat

step 5 clean it real good and reassemble

Edited by ejin4499