4.56 and 462 ratios

JUNN

If you do this, something's gonna break... you need to have the same ratio front and rear (or very little difference like 4.88 and 4.90... but then again, those who do this have dedicated trail machine that never sees asphalt, so the wheels can spin)... So on our regular rigs, it's a no no...

you could also do it if you put different tire size to match the difference in ratio...but this is really bad if you ask me...

This is a big iffy, you will get drive train bind when trying too crawl in 4x.

Street usage you have no problem doing it, as long as the truck is never engauged into 4wd, but whats the point of having a front diff then?

The genral rule is never too have more then a .05 diffrences in diffs, unless you plan on running diffrent size tires.

you guys are not correct.

the difference is only. .98%.

up to 1.5 % is acceptable.

for example, Ford gears. Front Dana 44- 5.38, closest matching gear 5.43 (for the ford 9" in the rear). This has been done for YEARS. I used to run it in my rig.

Run it.

you guys are not correct.

the difference is only. .98%.

up to 1.5 % is acceptable.

for example, Ford gears. Front Dana 44- 5.38, closest matching gear 5.43 (for the ford 9" in the rear). This has been done for YEARS. I used to run it in my rig.

Run it.

In addtion, with the old fords, quite often you saw a STOCK 9" and D44 combo of 3.5:1 and 3.55:1.

this is .05 in actual ration difference, with what you are talking about is only . 06. (4.56-4.62)

my rig is for offroad use only i dont drive it daily well i think its gonna work just fine :crossedwires: jeje

ok, cool. you should be ok then.

however, if you want to run any larger than a 33" tire, your not going to have enough gear.. example.

to get back to stock ratio with 36" tires, you need to go to 5.38:1

ok im not so good in this 4x4 gearing thing, whats the :1 for :scratchhead:

the numbers mean for every turn of the wheel (ring gear in the axle) the pinion gear will turn a certain number of times, for ex. 4.62:1, pinion gear (driven by driveshaft) makes 4.62 revolutions the ring gear (wheel) will turn 1 time, hence the 4.62:1