CRAZY ELECTRICAL or STARTER ISSUE?

Hawzzy

I need some major help...here the issue

I undid the neg. on the battery (to clear codes) when i went to put the neg. cable back on, it was leaning against the battery holder and once reconnected...the battery was COMPLETELY drained...i mean COMPLETELY!!!!!!

So, i boosted it, drove home no prob!!!!!!!!

Once home i turned truck off and NOTHING...NO BATTERY POWER!!!!!!

Ive tried FOUR batteries, and the truck WILL NOT START WITHOUT A BOOST from another vehicle or a good battery.

I use a good batttery to boost it with NO PROB...then i put that good battery in, thinking it should start..and NOTHING..then i boost it with the battery i just took out of another vehicle, and OILA!!!!! IT STARTS!!!!!

Cant figure it out, and I NEED MY TRUCK RUNNING!!!!

tye

Id check that big 100 amp fuse in the fuse box above it

Are you assuming the battery is dead before you get a boost or are you measuring the starting voltage??

test the voltage at the terminals, then the terminal connectors, then the starter hot and bat neg. Then test them AGAIN when it's running (minus the starter) plus at the alternator.

Should let you know exactly where the juice is lacking.

EDIT: wouldn't hurt to test resistance from the Neg terminal to the engine (pretty much anywhere metal) and then the body for ground continuity. As well as from the Positive terminal to test for some type of a short.

Edited by MrT

It sounds like the negative battery cable could be bad. As mentioned above, with all cables connected to the battery, use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the battery posts, then check the voltage at the positive battery post and the engine block.

When you get a jump start, where do you attach the negative jumper cable?

When you jumped it you connected the negative jump lead to metal on the Engine...correct ?

If so yes its the negative terminal or negative cable.....

Ive assumed the battery was dead...when i crank it and there is nothing...then i boosted it. I then changed batteries to one i new was good..and nothing. BUT with a good battery in and a boost it starts everytime..and runs just fine!!!

When we boosted it, we hooked the cables to the battery terminals...not the engine/metal.

Maybe its in the cable somewhere..i dunno...i DO have a voltmeter, so ill check all the points listed above..thanks...im really not that electrical savvy...so this is a crap-shoot for me!!!

Tye

O.K....so i just went out with the meter.....the battery reads 12.5 at the terminals, the same at the engine (positive post/neg on engine)

The dash lights are dim/barely visible...and the battery says 12.5 v...as soon as i hook up a second battery (or boost it)the dash lights are fine and it starts....you would say then...its the battery...so i rotated that batery out and tried another....it reads 12.8 v at the terminals and on engine ground and it still wont even try to turn over and the dash lights are barely lit!!!

i wanna pull my hair out......

So i put the voltmeter on the terminals once it fired up and it was everchanging from 13 v AND HIGHER...IN FACT the meter wouldnt read it a couple times.

Oh ya...i took the terminals off just last week when the problem started and i cleaned them with my dremel tool and a wire brush...in fact the positive is showing signs of green corrosion already.

Tye

if you cleaned them with a dremmel, did you take too much material out of them possibly and they are not gripping the battery terminal tight enough possibly?

It sounds like they are not clamping tight enough. Try putting a vice grip on them to hold them tighter and see what happens if so you either need a new terminal or you can put a screw in to space it out (I would only do this if money is real tight).

take the terminals off the battery, clean them good and make sure you put them on nice and snug like. Start simple :aok:

Yes, this is always a great place to start. My stock ground terminal has small bolt stud jammed in it because it got loose and sloppy over the years.

im really not that electrical savvy...so this is a crap-shoot for me!!!

It's very easy. Should have 12.6-8 with the car off at the terminals and 13.8 with it on.

Yes, this is always a great place to start. My stock ground terminal has small bolt stud jammed in it because it got loose and sloppy over the years.

Ok good I thought I was the only one who did this

in fact the positive is showing signs of green corrosion already.

Time for a new battery... Green corrosion can be from (most likely) the copper in the wire or (less likely) the iron on the terminal connector. Either way, if it is appearing this quickly you have battery acid present.

Wash your wire and connectors with baking soda and water and then let them dry out before you reconnect to neutralize any acid.

... and make sure they're nice and tight P...

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone....heres the thing...ive cleaned and tightened the terms...i cant see how i can get the clamps any tighter, there isnt any slop in them and they dont wiggle at all...but as soon as the booster cables touch this battery/posts from another vehicle or battery...its all good! :scratchhead:

Still confused and getting frustrated.............Tyler

This is really sounding more like a battery issue. You earlier said you tried four other batteries. Were they new or in an unknown condition?

Check the water levels in the battery. You should also have the battery load-tested to see if it's good.

I recently had to replace my old Optima yellow-top. I ended up replacing it with a Sears Die-Hard Platinum maintenance-free battery. All is good now.

Edited by XPLORx4

This is really sounding more like a battery issue. You earlier said you tried four other batteries. Were they new or in an unknown condition?

Check the water levels in the battery. You should also have the battery load-tested to see if it's good.

I recently had to replace my old Optima yellow-top. I ended up replacing it with a Sears Die-Hard Platinum maintenance-free battery. All is good now.

I tried three others....all are used...all are charged and showing 12.5 (ish) volts. One is a marine battery...right off our work boat...it works great for us daily. In fact...the only way ive been able to get to work this week...is by carrying around, and using that very marine battery, to boost my truck twice a day!!!!

This is why i havent shelled out the $$$$ for a NEW battery yet...havent been convinced yet that this is where the problem lies...BUT maybe its time.

Like i said before...i switched out my battery for the good one mentioned above...it boosts the truck just fine...BUT when i put it in the truck...figuring it would fire right up...NOPE....dash lights dim and just click..click...dead!!! Take it off...test it...shows 12.5 (ish) volts.

I'm screwed.....(pardon the french)

Tye

Are the battery terminal mating surfaces clean? I mean, the exterior of the posts need to be completely free of corrosion, grease, contaminants, etc., and the interior of each battery cable terminal needs to be similarly clean. Don't use a Dremel on those. A little baking soda mixed with water can help remove corrosion. You can buy a special battery terminal cleaning tool, if your wire brush doesn't do a good enough job.

702910.jpg

Are the battery terminal mating surfaces clean? I mean, the exterior of the posts need to be completely free of corrosion, grease, contaminants, etc., and the interior of each battery cable terminal needs to be similarly clean. Don't use a Dremel on those. A little baking soda mixed with water can help remove corrosion. You can buy a special battery terminal cleaning tool, if your wire brush doesn't do a good enough job.

702910.jpg

Just and FYI, Tyler, you can get that terminal cleaner at Canadian tire for like 2 bucks. I have one and it really does a great job.