Stupid Maf problem!

onefast87

here is my situation, my truck is bone stock and i decided to do a cold air intake.At this point i had 0 problems, once i installed the cone filter i could hear a hissing noise, so i made a gasket and used gasket maker to make sure there was no air leaks. The noise is coming from inside the maf sensor, its a very high pitched noise wich changes when throttle is applied. after a week i couldn't take the noise so i reinstall the factory airbox and what do you know, its still noisy.

Now my question is what is going on with my maf sensor? i inspected it, it's clean as a whistle, but yet i hear this really high pitched air sound.

I can't take it anymore, it's just way to annoying.

any idea's on whats going on? i can make a video if you guys need, but its pretty simple, just a high pitched sound coming from the maf.

post a few pic and a video if possible but its pretty normal for a little whistling from the intake system stock or aftermarket, look at the T/B make sure its clean as well, a little build up makes alot of difference in drivabiltiy and mpg

I am aware than there is air noises. This is the 4th air filter ive done. I did 2 z31's another pathfinder and my old sentra, and none of them were high pitched like this.

This truck made no noise until i installed the new air filter,after the new cone filter it was high pitched and now i have reverted back to stock and it still is noisy.

I just don't get it.The MAF was clean, no dents, the screen is perfectly intact, all my hoses are tight.

This is really just a stupid problem to have.Im ready to replace the MAF if i have to.

Sounds to me like you have an air leak somewhere near there. Try pinching the little lines, wiggling everything to see if you can get it to change the pitch (maybe have some one hold the throttle open a bit to help). Spray something around like wd40 to see if you can get the engine to rev up.

Ive checked all of the above.

The sound stops when i pull out the maf sensor from the intake tube. also i put a vacuum on the maf sensor and it whistles like a mofo.

The only thing i can think of is that small debris must be stuck inside the maf after the screen causing this annoying sound.

Sounds like the MAF has a vacuum leak, and you're probably right about it having some dirt in there. You may have dislodged something when you took the airbox apart. Clean it out however you can (suck the screen end with a shop-vac? A little duct tape should seal the hose to it) and try it again.

It may just be worn out, like a plunger or a seal or something going bad and letting air whistle past, but I'd expect that to be more gradual.

But yeah, if you can't get it figured, try a different MAF.

Thanks for the replies,and i have a stereo in my truck, Im running an Alpine deck with an 800watt Pioneer amp with a 15" PPI sub, and i can still hear it.

Ill have to take another look at it once it stops raining.