Self-Depreciation Alley

Precise1

You got owned.

True that. Except for the poison ivy, it was pretty much good typical goonage. :friday:

Wow, ty you seem to party hard man :itsallgood:

Yeah, I try to keep it to a minimum. That might explain why I go so hard when I do party these days, though... :lol:

Oh, I win this one EASILY. No chance of any competitors beating me on this one.

This is me today. Well, maybe about 80%. I slacked off on working out for a bit and am now back in full swing. But basically the same guy.

MeWithPath-2.jpg

This is me in 2001. I looked like this from 2001 till about 2006, when I finally got serious about losing weight and exercising.

FatJaya1.jpg

Edited by GoPathyGo

How is losing weight in any way self-depreciative? :scratchhead:

I'd say that's a huge accomplishpment and thus positive. :D

GPG, do yourself a favour and leave the self-depreciation to the professionals, man. :lol:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

How is losing weight in any way self-depreciative? :scratchhead:

I'd say that's a huge accomplishpment and thus positive. :D

GPG, do yourself a favour and leave the self-depreciation to the professionals, man. :lol:

:lol: It's more like,"Dude, check out what I ended up doing! I was the poster child for Lipitor!" I now look like I did in college. Don't ask me what happened in the intervening 7-8 years... I'm still figuring that sh!t out...

:lol: It's more like,"Dude, check out what I ended up doing! I was the poster child for Lipitor!" I now look like I did in college. Don't ask me what happened in the intervening 7-8 years... I'm still figuring that sh!t out...

Key word being "was", my man! That's a stellar accomplishment, IMO. :aok:

Dare I say you start a Self-Appreciation thread on the forum, Jaya? ;)

Dare I say you start a Self-Appreciation thread on the forum, Jaya? ;)

That's what I was thinking...

Sorry Bud, you have to start your own thread... ;)

B

hmm its been a while...tore my rotator cuff again...got tattooed on my forearm by a line drive...got tattooed on my knee with a line drive...got tattooed in the chest with a bad bouncer...gotta raspberry on my ass from sliding into 2nd, cut up palm, forearm and cramps...we won...that's all that matters

• 1 month later...

New one for me.

For my job this past Monday we were ripping up a ceramic tile floor that was improperly installed and cracking all the grout up. Some tiles popped up full, others broke to bits. We stacked the fulls and bagged up the pieces. I was taking the first bag of pieces out to the trailer and it bumped my leg...no biggy, it bumped my leg....Then I got to thinking, hey, there are sharp chipped pieces of tile in there :unsure: . Look down and see a little scrape, upon further inspection there is a nice flap of skin hanging out off my ankle. Go in the house and snag a paper towel then run out tomy truck and grab the painters tape (3M blue, you know it!), fold up the towel and tape it in place over my leg and go back to work. No further injury for the day (I was very mindfull of where the bags were from then on).

A few days later, but how it looks now:

0903091935.jpg

• 3 months later...

When changing my brake calipers I put them on the wrong sides of the truck, and tried bleeding them for 3 hours and still couldn't get any pedal...When an npora member and one of my buddies showed up, wow did I look stupid!

I don't know if this counts, but I didn't change my thermostat when I did my timing belt and of course I had to change it on friday in -20 weather...

Feel down a hill and hurt my ankle,fell into a ditch after getting out to pee one day(was like 4 feet deep)Fell into the st.croix river after telling every one theres pleant of ice...this was all in the last four month.Put a used tranny in my 95 and burnt it up in 9 miles...shall I go on...Running into a light pole...Picking my mom up and getting yelled at by her boss because I had mud falling off in the parking lot...digging trenchs in my moms job grass part of parking lot...getting chased by a pyco for spinning my tires...getting pulled over pulling out of my drive way becuase the cop said somebuddy in a blue car had been doing donuts in the park...backing into a stump and tearing the rear bumper half way off...getting high centered and burn the orignal tranny in the pathy up...

Edited by nismothunder

Shattered my little toe one day before Christmas, in three places! How do you shatter a toe that small in three places, IT'S NOT THAT BIG!!!!! Now I look stupid hobbling around in a can boot because of a little toe! All this from falling out of the bunk in an RV! I WASN'T EVEN DRINKING! :headwall:

• 3 weeks later...

While it's not really something I did, the way this played out dumbfounded me...

Ok, last week I sold a 95 Honda Civic to extended family. Please remind me never to do this again!!

I change the oil and have to jump it to start it, which is strange, the battery is 2 years old. My GF's sisters husband picks it up to show it to his mom. We don't hear anything other than she will probably buy it. Monday morning (the next day) the GF has a text saying that his dad is going to drive it to work. We call and explain that this is not cool, we are still liable, he is not insured for the vehicle, etc. Test drive is one thing, but commuting is another. Bring the car back today, we'll hold it if they want to buy it. That night he comes over, pays us for the car (with attitude, apparently because we didn't want people driving it all over), we transfer title and the deal is done. The next day the GF files release of liability.

That evening the sisters husband calls my GF and tells her that her car is about to blow up. She hands me the phone and the husband proceeds to tell me that the battery is smoking, bulging dangerously and about to explode. I ask why he is on the phone with me and not grabbing a fire extinguisher and disconnecting one of the battery cables to break the circut.

The GF asks if I want to go over there and I say no, it's 20 minutes away, by the time I get there it is either not an issue or it has burned to the ground...

I later learn that his father went to a mechanic after work because he smelled something (boiling battery acid perhaps?) and was told that there is something wrong with the battery. He then proceeded to drive 30+ miles home, at which time the battery is ready to burn!! The husband thinks that it is a bad battery because it is 2 years old and that is when they have to be replaced. I explained to him the bulging 72 month Interstate battery is a symptom, not the cause, and to pull the alternator and have it tested. My guess is that the voltage regulator is bad and the alternator was charging 100% non stop.

The next day they buy a new battery, install it and start the car. Apparently the alternator made strange noises so they were going to have it checked... :rolleyes:

That is all I have heard so far. I know the husband is well intending yet not all that bright (yes, 2 kids already) but damn!!

My thought was that the 6 year old alternator was already damaged or I damaged it somehow when I jump started the car. I will probably pay them back for the cost of the alternator (a good will gesture) but I will not pay for a new battery. As far as I am concerned they killed it by continuing to drive it when there was something obviously wrong.

I told the GF, imagine that we had let people drive around in the car without having sold it, etc and it caught fire on them (it almost did). How would we handle that??

B

Just a wild hair, but I distrust people who take themselves too seriously. We have all done something stupid and to be able to share and laugh not only shows you are human and have a sense of humor, but demonstrates strength of character. Tell your story; make us wince, whimper, or laugh ! Recount your idocy, lunacy, or lapse of judgement. Heck, tell a friend's story for him if nothing else (your perspective is probably better :P ) It can be Pathy, automotive, or just life...

I'll start, and I'm sure I'll chime in later with something else, but this is an easy one that comes to mind when my mind is...... dainbrammaged.....

I got my first vehicle (a Suziki RM80 dirt bike) when I was 10. My dad knew squat about mechanics, so I read, listened and asked, then wrenched. This gives me about 25 years from the start. About 10 years ago I had an unofficial mechanic thing going on. I did tune ups, brakes, that kind of stuff on the side. I'm also a machinist for over a decade. I say this to explain that I'm no stranger to cars, motorcycles, machinery in general, basic trouble shooting, systems, principles and work habits.

My previous truck was a 83 Nissan 720 kingcab 4x4. I had let the registration almost expire and needed a smog check, tomorrow. It needed a tune up and was during the work week so I did it after the usual 10 hour work day. Full tune up... no problem... 2 hours max. As I was finishing up I realized I hadn't checked the valve clearance for a while, so while I'm under there... Ok, get butt in gear as this has to be done when things are hot, and there are some parts to pull first. I ran it for 10 minutes to heat it back up, and then removed all that stuff, checked, adjusted as necessary, rotating the motor with a ratchet/socket and short cheater pipe off the crank/pully bolt. Maybe 1 hour later the sun was almost down, so rush to get it together. Ok, all together, time to get clever. I HAD a remote starter unit. For the uninitiated, it is a hot and cold lead you clip on the battery, and a hot to the starter with a button switch. It will turn the motor or start it if the ignition is on. I hooked this up because I like to listen to things... I fired the motor, and heard WIFF, BLAM, RRRRRRRRRRRRRx10 VERY LOUD all in about 1/2 second.

Now, I have a sharp mind, so I realized very quickly that I had left the ratchet on the crank/pully bolt and things had suddenly become very wrong. Panic insued as this was my only viable vehicle at the time and I had visions of the ratchet handle going ape shet down there... Unfortunately, a remote start has no remote stop... Ever hear a ratchet going 850RMP backwards(THANKFULLY!!) ?? I can't describe it, other than it would make you wet your pants coming from your engine compartment while you have your head in it listening for valve noise. So I did the only thing I could do... I grabbed the coil wire and yanked it out. Anyone ever pull a plug wire with the engine running while grounded ?? YEP !! WOW !! Coil wire doesn't last as long, but it is X4 pulse in this case.

Ok, with a Z24 motor there are 2 coils, a 2 level dizzy, and 8 wires/plugs. 1 set to intake, which run the motor, 1 set to exhaust for smog/afterburn. (the system works very well by the way). I pulled the exhaust coil wire. Now the motor and ratchet are only at about 800 rpm. As soon as I got my eyeballs pointed the same direction, and my right arm to listen to directions, I grabbed and pulled the wire from the intake coil. YEP !! WOW !!! It felt like this one had more juice, but maybe it was just me.

It was a singularly enlightening experience. I've been blasted by plug wires, but there's nothing like asking for seconds !! In hindsight, I should have just gone for the ignition, but, um, yeah... As it was, no damage done by the ratchet (still have and use it today) and remote starter switch was cut up for the wire and switch that night. The WIFF noise I can only assume was the 1' cheater pipe I was using as I never did find it. Score is... Bernard -1 life, X to go... Way to hurry dumb A$$ !!

Bernard

well how about i was under the hood with the pathy runnin' had just put new plug wires and stuff on it and for some reason i cant remember why ( some memory was probably lost)

i decide to pull off the coil cover on my vg30 i knocked off the wire as i was pullin the cover up and blammity blam for as many times as it took for the motor to stop it was alot.....

the gaps in my memory seem to coincide with each shock it gave me lmao

very nice spark output on the oem equip lots of sparks too, that was before the msd ignition....almost didnt get it cause i was sure it was already shockin 6 times per plug anyways lol

thats no where near as good as the ratchet thing....although by buddy came to visit me and brought his kayak..i was workin the first day so i told him where to fish and set it up with a local guide friend of mine to shuttle his frontier to the spot he would get out....my buddy calls and says something is wrong with the front end i get to about 30mph and it starts makin an awful racket...so he limps it to my place and i go and hear it too ....but cant get a complete fix on where its comin from but it seems to be coming from the front pass axel...so to fit it in the garage we take the boat off just fits under the door so we started to tear it down thinkin maybe the al hubs....nothin wrong we zipped her up and i said let me take her out so off we went....ran awesome no noise........ problem somehow solved so he gets up the next day loads the truck we say lates an all and he takes off down the road......he comes right back sayin its doin it again ohhhhhhhhh he has to drive a day then be back at work.....i say lets take her so i can hear it again everythings great 30mph yay....at jus before 45 it starts quiet but gets fast and strong but now from the drivers side???? as I slow it slows and gets harder sounding and as presise was saying I too have been around semis, farm and large equip, cnc lathes mills any thing mechanical lots of diff vehicles and couldent tell

what it was it had a funny thump almost like a cvj or something so i set the cruise to 35 told him to grab the wheel and i lean out the window drivers side and can hear it like right under me so i lean out a little more and grab onto the rachetstrap holding the kayak onto the roof for steadiness.........

the noise stopped

we thought we had fixed it the day it happened (while i had thought the kids doing the shuttle decide to take my buddy frontier for a offroad test and jacked it up) but we had to take the kayak off to work on it then he put it back on to leave was all because of a few twists of the rachet strap

without twisting it, if its flat it vibrated like hell.....and even fooled me...till i tried like an idiot to lean out a little further hell i couldent even tell with my head pokin out lmao........

Edited by pathfinderfisherman

• 10 months later...

Im from Muskoka..."cottage country" and we like to party a little. Im a carpenter and we build dream "cottages" (8-12000 ft sq) on the lakes around here and we work hard. One day...we got off work early, noon i think, and 3-4 of us go to a buudies to drink so Crown and beers, and play a little darts. About 4 hours later i stumble down the road back to house and no one is home, so i decide im gunna grab another beer from the fridge. I "two step" my way into the kitchen, open up the fridge and grab a nice cold beer. Of course nothing goes better with a nice cold beer than a nice thick, extremly heavy glass frosty mug...in the top of the freezer...which is important because when my drunk ass opens up the freezer the mug falls out... SMASH and lands on my second last toe. S P L A T!!!!!!! OUCH!!!! F#$%^%!!!! Instanstly to the ground i go with blood EVERYWHERE and my toe three times wider than possible im sure.

Well about ten mins go by and my wife and kids get home to take me to hospital....very embarrassed...very drunk and its only 4:30 in the p.m. I think i appologized to the hospital at least 50 times...LOL

Oh ya...Xrays showed i chipped a couple of pieces of the bone off and 3-4 stitches. FUN TIMES ILL TELL YA!!!

So here's one from my 21st birthday party....

I needed to take a leak, but my fiance(at the time) and her best friend were in the rr. So i decided I would go out on the front deck and take care of business. Well, the apartment we were in was one of those not so great apartments above a store, three unit deal. Well anyways, I'm doing my thing through the front railing, over the parking lot. Turns out, this railing was very weak, and I am very drunk(read: leaning). The railing decided it doesnt want to hold up any more, and I stumble out on to the metal roof of the stores storage room. Now, mind you, it is raining, so this metal roof is rather slick. I stumble around this roof for a couple of seconds before going of the edge of the roof. Luckily it slopes down, so I only fell about 5 feet.... Onto the hood of my maxima (one of the third gens, the silver one)... on my back... I didnt get a picture of the dent, because I had the hood changed the next morning... but it did put a damper on my 21st birthday party, from what I hear after that, I crawled back up the stairs to the apartment, rolled up in the living room carpet like a burrito, and passed out...

from what I hear after that, I crawled back up the stairs to the apartment, rolled up in the living room carpet like a burrito, and passed out...

:rofl:

Beautiful visual Burrito Meat!!

*wipes tears*

B

ok, here's a stupid moment from my past:

Was driving down the main drag in my hometown late at night in my lifted 87 Hardbody, got into an altercation (for whatever reason) with a car full of Spanish people, had my GF and a friend with me, we all get out and a yelling match starts up, next thing I know these guys are kicking my truck throwing beer bottles at it, so I get out my shovel (from my required beach equipment) and threaten to smash the guys window, they get back in the car and are waiting for the light to change, so I tell my GF and friend to get in the truck and that I'm going to ram this guys car up onto the sidewalk with the back bumpber of my truck, I was very pissed and didn't care at the moment. So I pull up and proceed to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the road, as I start going in reverse with this guys car in my sights some old man innocently drives between us WHAM !! backed right into his front fender!. No damage to my truck as the double tube bumper was pretty strong but the old mans fender had a nice half round tube imprint in it!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

m'kay, i'll play.

ohhhh the date was ... yeah i don't effin' remember. new years party a few yr back.. well, we were gettin a-fickered up.. and well, everyone's girlie was there but mine so i figured i didn't need to stay concious.. and i didn't. i wound up passed out on the floor, side of my face pressed against the floor, my knees on the ground. ass up. .. friends say i was moaning like a whore.. but i don't remember anything beyond hiding behind a washcloth.