Oil leak from Valve Cover?

feyded

I havent driven, or even started my truck for about a week and a half. Well today I decided to drive it, I started it, but then noticed that there was a very noticable oil burning smell. I popped the hood only to see smoke, the smoke looked to be coming from the exhaust manifold, like oil dripped onto it. I checked the oil, it is plenty high still, so it must not be a lot of oil leaking, but I havent yet seen any oil collecting under the truck either while it was parked.

The only thing I can think of is the valve cover gasket is shot, it was doing it on both manifolds as well.

Its a 1987 Pathy VG30i 4x4.

Any help or guidance as to what it might be would be greatly appreciative, I tried searching and couldnt find anything directly related to my issue.

Try tightening the screws a bit to see if that stops it. If not you'll have to replace the gaskets, they're not very expensive and shouldn't be too difficult on the vg30I.

if you replace the gaskets swap out the screws for hex bolts grade 8 and apply servicable thread locker, no more leaky v/c gaskets, they start to leak because the screws back off and allow oil to pass past the gasket, when the motor has repeated hot and cold cycles the opil breaks down the gasket material and makes it very hard and this is why it will continue to leak because the gasket can not compress and seal any more its hard as a rock and would break if flex in your hands

its what i stock for the repair shop yah it over kill a grade 5 is more then enough a well but really the price difference is small hell even stainless is cheap and they look cool :itsallgood: you said tractor lol thats what i call my pathy :fireworx:

Thank you everyone for the help, I will take the advice of the thread and try tightening first(it's an import engine with supposedly around 30k miles from Japan). I figured if the gaskets hadn't been replaced already, they are probably comin soon because the age of the engine.

This forum is amazing with the mass amounts of informative posts, and helpful people.

As far as brands for valve cover gaskets, what would be the best brand to look for?

Edited by feyded

Don't let the age fool you, both my 1995 pathys (132k & 106k miles respectively) and my wif'es 1999.0 (160k miles) all have the original valve cover gaskets and don't leak. Hers were leaking so badly when we bought it, the spark plug wells were partially filled and all I did was snug them back down.

They certainly can be damaged like WarehouseRat said, but my experience is that Nissan used very good material for the valve cover and oil fill gaskets.

For replacements, check out Alkorahil (aka Rob Lacy) who runs an online parts department in Texas. Great guy (drives a pathfinder) who knows his stuff and has great prices, for a stealership... :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18653

Glad you like the site. :aok: Most of us try to be helpful and still have a little fun...

B

Thanks Precise for the great website, I will be ordering the gaskets just to replace it for good measure(havent had a project in a while, and its dirt cheap) and secure it with bolts instead.

I pulled a set of valve cover gaskets off an '84 VG with 102,000 miles and they were hard as a rock, very brittle. Leaked oil like a MOFO. The ones that I pulled off my '88 VG with 196,000 miles were still pliable and were original. Obviously, the '88 gaskets had many more heat cycles on them but were four years newer. The gaskets on my '87 VG leak like a siv even after tightening, they only have 120K on them too. I guess it all depends. :shrug:

Grade 8 bolts for valve covers?!? :rofl:

Sorry Bud, but that is overkill like swatting a fly with a tractor trailer!! :D

B

thanks B! now i need an excuse to use that!

Thats what I plan on doing today 87Pathy once I get off work today, if that doesnt fix it, Im just going to replace the gaskets and use bolts like stated above.

Thanks for the input though.