Not off to the best start...Oil Pressure Light

If you dont mind me asking, what ended up costing you 1300$, guessing it was a full tune up with some extras?

Good to hear that it was a simple fix though for the oil light, I dont doubt you will get your moneys worth and more out of her.

you can put 4 quarts in these pigs with no issues.

when i change my oil, it gets 4 quarts.

when i have oil pressure i worry, cuase i never do.. the sending unit is bad.

if your lifters were not tapping, don't worry about it.

i bet its a sending unit with a loose wire.

My 88 had that same problem and it turned out to be a loose wire, that would be the first thing I would check. Mine was a yellow wire might help might not.

Good Luck!

Edited by trogdor

I think the biggest part of making a pathfinder work is working on it yourself and show it you care then it will love you and work for you.

I think there really is some truth in that!

His comment "Boy you're good! I should hire you" uhh.... ok

I would get a new mechanic..... just my two cents.

Should you need to replace the oil pressure sender switch, here is the part number:

Part Number: 25240-8996E

Description: SWITCH ASSEMBLY-OIL

MSRP $21.87

I would get a new mechanic..... just my two cents.

Should you need to replace the oil pressure sender switch, here is the part number:

Part Number: 25240-8996E

Description: SWITCH ASSEMBLY-OIL

MSRP $21.87

Good to have the part info, but if you were to bother replacing the oil switch I would strongly consider installing an electrical oil pressure gauge, either one that also runs the dummy light or with a tee to include the nissan switch too.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a electric oil pressure gauge recently. The thread in the block for the sending unit is 1/8" BSP for anyone wondering. So when you get your sending unit and it comes with 1/8" NPT you'll need to get an adapter to go from 1/8" NPT-27 to 1/8" BSP-28. I finally found one after much searching at O'reilly - Equus part number 9848.

I ditched the dummy light, who needs it when you have a real gauge :shrug:

I added a electric oil pressure gauge recently. The thread in the block for the sending unit is 1/8" BSP for anyone wondering. So when you get your sending unit and it comes with 1/8" NPT you'll need to get an adapter to go from 1/8" NPT-27 to 1/8" BSP-28. I finally found one after much searching at O'reilly - Equus part number 9848.

I ditched the dummy light, who needs it when you have a real gauge :shrug:

Do you know if that gauge is more responsive than the stock ones?

The 87-89's(might be other years as well, but those years are what Im knowledgeable in) gauges respond slow to oil pressure, as well as the fuel gauge, not sure if you've seen what Im talking about.. just curious though if an aftermarket gauge is much more responsive..

Thanks.

Edited by feyded

I'm not familiar with the 87-89 factory oil gauge as I have a 93 that came with a dummy light only. I will say it probably is more responsive than what you are describing. I can detect the change in pressure when it changes gears. Or to say it another way, I can tell the pressure is higher with higher rpm's and vice versa.

I have this gauge:

gauge

It is quite responsive. There isn't really any lag, so you see the needle move up and down all the time, whenever the engine speed changes. It comes with the 1/8" BSP adapter, and also has two electrical outputs, one for the gauge and one for your existing dummy light.