AC LIFT INSTALL

OKAY so im almost there on buying my new ac lift but i want to save as much money as possible, on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to install the lift my self with help with some friends and what tools would be needed to do the struts coils and shocks? im on a 3000 dollar budget for the lift and wheels so every quarter counts. and how do you install the brake extensions and the camber alinment kit? pictures and diagrams would be most appreciated. :sly:

I didn't touch my brake lines and have yet to see the need to have them lengthened with the AC 2" lift.

The camber alignment bolts install in the two mounting points on the bottom of the strut. There is an arrow stamped on the camber bolt head that indicates where to "point" the bolt for the correct alingment. There will be instructions included with the camber kit. It is very simple!

I took my springs to a shop to have them put on the struts since I don't have a spring compressor. the rest of the lift was pretty easy with regular tools nothing special. Just be careful when you take struts out not to cut the cv boots. Get some buddies and some beer and you will be done in no time :friday:

I can't imagine you having any trouble doing everything for under $3000...

The budget was for the lift, rims, and tires right?

yeah for the wheels and lift, but id rather install it my self since shops charge to much for somthing small.

i don't think you'll need that. there should be a few how-to's around and just check an FSM to help fill in any blanks.

it's a very simple install, especially the rears. if you just jack up the truck, take the wheels off, and look around for 10 minutes or so. i'm certain you could figure it out without any of that (as long as you're decently, mechanically inclined).

Everything you're going to install can be treated as replacement stock parts. The only things that make up the lift are the springs. So everything that needs to be taken off and put on can be found with diagrams and how to's in the FSM. I used a Haynes Manual. If you have that or can get it at a nearby auto store, I would suggest using it. It helps a lot. If you have any questions while doing the lift, just post it up here and someone will answer!

what do u mean i dont need new struts for the lift?

I dont believe that is what he is saying. I think E34R1017 means that its the same process to install new parts as it is old parts.

You dont HAVE to get new struts, but i would highly recommend it if you got the originals. you should have left over money too if you budget is $3000. i spent about $2100 for everything, struts, lift coils (AC lift), OEM hardware, wheels, tires, WARN manual locking hubs and i think thats it. i installed the back with a friend and had my mechanic do the front coils...

so you can use the extra cash for CV's (because 1 is eventually going to fail), skids, maybe rockrails?

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

i spent about $2100 for everything, struts, lift coils (AC lift), OEM hardware, wheels, tires, WARN manual locking hubs and i think thats it. i installed the back with a friend and had my mechanic do the front coils...

Yeah, same here. Wheels, tires, camber bolts, Warns, the whold nine yards! (basically everything listed in my sig)

im going to through on 20 inch enkei rt6 wheels with some 33inch a/t thats where most of the money is going.

Funny thing you mention that. I actually went from the factory 16" wheels to the 15's so that I would have more "meat" on the tires. I figured that a 31" tire on a 15" rim would look bigger than a 31" tire on a 16" rim. Wouldn't a 33" tire on 20's look kind of like rugged rubber bands? :shrug:

no you got a good 5 inchs of side wall and i dont do any rock crawling or anything to rough so 5 inches of sidewall is good enough from preventing curb rash

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the enkei RT6's on my ride (17") with 265/65 BFG Rugged Trails and like them. I'm getting the parts together for an OME lift front and rear. If I get my stuff together before you, I'll post some pics!