2003 r50 top speed

hey guys, so i was driving down the parkway and some kid in a celica threw a snapple bottle out the window and needless to say i was pissed. i started chasing him and by the time i caught up i was at 105 and the speed limiter kicked in. i followed him at like 103 for about 3 minutes and finally he pulled over and we left the parkway and he called his mother and she wrote me a check for 250 for a replacement windscreen. now my issue here is i wanna know why can i only go 105. is there a way i can remove the limiter? the truck felt fine at that speed, no swaying or shaking at all. i really thought id make it to 115-120

I thought we were limited at like 111 mph or something.

I dunno how to remove any such limiter, the FSM likely doesn't say much about it. I'd imagine it's something in the ECU or maybe TCM. I don't think I'd like to try seeing how fast I can go - I've got a spare on right now, and my suspension and brakes aren't too great either.

I believe most cars have the limiter for what the tires are rated at. At least that's why my dodge stratus had a 105 limiter. My impreza was 135 because it came stock with z rated tires. We never found the limiter on my brothers eclipse. All of these top speeds were found on a track not on the highway.

Awesome story by the way and I'm glad you caught the kid. Had people throw stuff out like that in front of me before but nothing actually hit so I can understand how pissed you'd be!

I had my ecu reflashed for $225 with shipping and got the limiter removed and some slight tweaks done. Had it done by a vendor on Nicoclub.com

Kinda stops accelerating after 125 though

I believe most cars have the limiter for what the tires are rated at. At least that's why my dodge stratus had a 105 limiter. My impreza was 135 because it came stock with z rated tires. We never found the limiter on my brothers eclipse. All of these top speeds were found on a track not on the highway.

Awesome story by the way and I'm glad you caught the kid. Had people throw stuff out like that in front of me before but nothing actually hit so I can understand how pissed you'd be!

You took a dodge stratus to the track :rofl: ahahahahhahaahah

http://www.uprev.com/

My titan used to stop at 110mph. I bought a cable and program from these guys so I can reprogram it my self. Top speed is now set at 320mph, no problem with ever reaching that. Now it stops at 130 because it doesn't have anymore to give, I need some headers and Jim Wolf cams. Give them a call, they can probably do pathfinders too.

James

Here's a titan with headers, Jim Wolf cams, and uprev tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxYKNBL80M

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think I'm better equipped with sway bars and highway tires... but either way, it's probably a good idea for neither of us to be going over 100 mph unless we want copious amounts of fines and tickets. It's nice to know that an eleven year old vehicle can still get "up to speed" easily and pretty smoothly.

Hah!! Glad you got some $ and hopefully scared the crap out of the kid enough that he'll be a little more careful and considerate now.

r50s are limited but d21s/wd21s are not :tongue:

They are limited by having the aerodynamics of a brick and the power of a weed eater... ;)

I seriously wonder if my WD21 would pull up to 100mph without a downhill and/or a tailwind at work and mine has full headers/exhaust system. In all honesty I don't plan to try either...

B

i can personally say a wd21 will reach 101 according to my old gps on a very slight hill. with 31" mud tires. and i had stock exhaust and manifold leak when i did it. no death wobble either. 4k rpms. not too bad id say for a 17 year old truck with a lil 3.0 v6 in her.

http://www.uprev.com/

My titan used to stop at 110mph. I bought a cable and program from these guys so I can reprogram it my self. Top speed is now set at 320mph, no problem with ever reaching that. Now it stops at 130 because it doesn't have anymore to give, I need some headers and Jim Wolf cams. Give them a call, they can probably do pathfinders too.

James

Here's a titan with headers, Jim Wolf cams, and uprev tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxYKNBL80M

Nice airbag light! :lol:

Now that's some good power there with the mods that guy has. That poor chunk of aluminum... :lol:

I did it just to see what she would do. one time on the mud tires. when i first got her and didnt have a gps, i buried the needle goin down a really steap hill on almost bald 31" a/t's. messin around with a friends yota. which couldnt keep up. and im not braver. just dumber. but only 2 times ive ever did that with the pathy