Rear Main Seal poll ( weighing options)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rear Main Seal Options

• Let her ride, and add stop leak and lucas
    • Replace the seal and take the hit
    • Trade/Sell get something different
    • other options (please make suggestion)

Ok heres the scoop. I have an 01 LE with 198,000 mi. on the clock. Ive ran mobile1 full syn. for past 5 years. I believe my rear main is the culprit as i see oil dripping from around the inspection port at the rear of the oil pan. The size of the leak is about a the size of a quarter after i park it for a day. Now I now my options are 1)Let it run with the mileage as high as it is and add some lucas and some bars stop leak. 2) Replace the seal 3)Trade/sell get a different car and have a dreaded car payment. The lowest price I have found on replacing the seal is $671 which would be about 2-3 car payments. Or if i change it would i be opening a can of worms. So now im just stirring the pathy pot and seeing what comes out.

Thanks

Edited by shortysmash

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same leak, about the same amount too. Nissan wants $1800 to fix. Screw that. I think mine's been leaking since around 100k, and I have 123,465 miles on it right now.

Don't use Lucas, it's just some crappy thick gear oil that shouldn't be in your crankcase - it causes cavitation (aeration of oil) too. Try using M1 10W-40 High Mileage for a few oil changes, it might slow it down or even stop it.

$671? Where did you get that quote at?

Edited by Towncivilian

I have started to notice that I have a leaky rear main seal too. Its not so leaky that its dripping yet. Just leaves everything covered in oil and looks wet. I have around 109k on my pathy now. Hoping it stays good for awhile longer, or if it gets worse look into other options.

Try using the High Mileage version of the mobil 1. They put additives in there that are supposed to condition seals and make them not leak anymore.

If you put any type of Lucas or Bars additive in there, you're going to cause even more problems.

Try using the High Mileage version of the mobil 1. They put additives in there that are supposed to condition seals and make them not leak anymore.

If you put any type of Lucas or Bars additive in there, you're going to cause even more problems.

I already said that :P

If it's a good dependable vehicle (which most nissans are) fix it and be done with the problem. In the long run it's cheaper than a note. Band aids just prolong the problem.

James

Never use that stop leak @!*%. It will gunk up your lifters and your truck will be junkyard bound.

Fix the seal, take a small hit, drive for 100k more miles happily. :)

Also, good thing you use synthetic oil, especially on a VQ. Forget the BS about synthetic oil making seals leak. Dust should not be holding seals in place anyway.

On an r50 it's easy to drop the trans since there are no torsion bars in the way like the wd21s. You could probably do it yourself in a day (maybe just slide the trans back after disconnecting everything) if you have the tools/space/etc...

The viscocity of a 15w-40 dino and synthetic will be close at 100C. If syn was significantly thinner vs. the same grade dino, it would be rated differently, wouldn't you think? Thinner oil is always preferable during cold starts.

I voted for you to take the hit and fix it...but I think it always depends on what your plans are for your rig.

Were you at a point of being close to selling it? If so, maybe that changes things for your decision.

I love my 01 LE but it only has 98K on her...so I'm keeping her for at least another 100K. Point being, maybe my circumstance is too different to offer up an educated decision on your circumstance...but good luck!

BTW - what is the "can of worms" that you're worried about? (Just curious)

no love for Lucas :thumbsdown: that stuff saved me from having to swap motors earlier than i want to (which i still havent done in this truck) and helped me baby many motors alot longer than they should. As for it fixing leaks? thats a whole different story...

Yeah, I would fix it if I could have for $671. I'd still love to know where you got that estimate.

I got that quote from calling around to some transmission places. They seemed to be cheaper as they are used to pulling the trannys etc.

I guess if you have a manual transmission it could possibly be leaking from there too.

Unfortunately its an automatic.

I voted for you to take the hit and fix it...but I think it always depends on what your plans are for your rig.

Were you at a point of being close to selling it? If so, maybe that changes things for your decision.

I love my 01 LE but it only has 98K on her...so I'm keeping her for at least another 100K. Point being, maybe my circumstance is too different to offer up an educated decision on your circumstance...but good luck!

BTW - what is the "can of worms" that you're worried about? (Just curious)

Yeah i was originally considering selling for a while as its high in milage and the value is going down. so i figureed trade or sell while its worth a little. Also the can of worms is just the fact that its almost 200k and once you start moving things that havent been moved befrore things could start going bad, i was just afraid that by doing so more things would start going bad like other seals, the transmission or anything and everything.

This is coming from what I would do, given the situation, but if I had already considered selling it, I would, and just buy something different.

But if your tune has changed and you kind of want to keep it another 100k miles, then get it fixed. I think that is a very reasonable price to do so.

If it hasn't given you many problems to this point, it will probably continue to be reliable for you.

This is coming from what I would do, given the situation, but if I had already considered selling it, I would, and just buy something different.

But if your tune has changed and you kind of want to keep it another 100k miles, then get it fixed. I think that is a very reasonable price to do so.

If it hasn't given you many problems to this point, it will probably continue to be reliable for you.

Knock on wood. The only thing major was a transmission at 135k. and the tune hasn't changed yet but may in the next few months with budget cuts at work and what not. a.k.a will i still have the job im at

• 3 weeks later...