Had carpet fire in my 1995....burned wires.,,sad day

zack1978

Hi everyoene,

I had a sad day with my 95 SE-V6 yesterday.....There is a rust hole in the drivers side floor just below the gas pedel area, which is just above the exhaust pipe. In the past it had melted the rubber of the carpet, but I put some metal in there and it seemed to stop the melting. Well yesterday on the highway I was towing my trailer, and I guess the exhaust temp get hotter than usual, and the carpet started smoking bad, and before I even had a chance to pull over there were a few flames comming out the side by the shifter area. I was able to stop the flames, and the when all the smoke cleared, I had a badly burned carpert, melted air dict, and three burned wires. I also noticed that I lost my clock, radio,interior light, brights indicator, fog lights, pass side headlight, brights, and the door open light was lit on the dash (no door was open). When I got it home I replaced the three burned wires by the shifter (yellow, purple, and I forget the third color), but it did not get anything working. So then I checked the fuse box, and all the fuses are fine except the 10amp interior light fuse. As soon as you replace the fuse, the new fuse burns out in seconds. Any ideas as to what to check, or where to start?

This makes me sad because I think this might be the end of our 16 year love affair, as I am the original owner. There is so much rust on my truck that it would cost a huge amount to fix it, as well as the frame has already been patched. It needs a good amout of mechanical work as well.

When I think back over the years, I have had a great time with my Pathie....so many fun memories that I will cherish forever! I hope that I can get it back together because this would be a terrible way for it to come to an end.

Zack

Hi everyoene,

I had a sad day with my 95 SE-V6 yesterday.....There is a rust hole in the drivers side floor just below the gas pedel area, which is just above the exhaust pipe. In the past it had melted the rubber of the carpet, but I put some metal in there and it seemed to stop the melting. Well yesterday on the highway I was towing my trailer, and I guess the exhaust temp get hotter than usual, and the carpet started smoking bad, and before I even had a chance to pull over there were a few flames comming out the side by the shifter area. I was able to stop the flames, and the when all the smoke cleared, I had a badly burned carpert, melted air dict, and three burned wires. I also noticed that I lost my clock, radio,interior light, brights indicator, fog lights, pass side headlight, brights, and the door open light was lit on the dash (no door was open). When I got it home I replaced the three burned wires by the shifter (yellow, purple, and I forget the third color), but it did not get anything working. So then I checked the fuse box, and all the fuses are fine except the 10amp interior light fuse. As soon as you replace the fuse, the new fuse burns out in seconds. Any ideas as to what to check, or where to start?

This makes me sad because I think this might be the end of our 16 year love affair, as I am the original owner. There is so much rust on my truck that it would cost a huge amount to fix it, as well as the frame has already been patched. It needs a good amout of mechanical work as well.

When I think back over the years, I have had a great time with my Pathie....so many fun memories that I will cherish forever! I hope that I can get it back together because this would be a terrible way for it to come to an end.

Zack

Don't give up hope yet...I know how you feel being the original owner of my '92, it really is much like a love affair.

I'll bet the third wire is green...that would be the fog light switch mounted on the center console. It is routed under the carpet in that area...

Sounds like more fried wiring is causing shorts galore...gotta fix that before wasting any more fuses.

With that much damage you may want to go to a self service bone yard and pull replacements (wire harnesses, carpet, trim etc...). You get the added advantage to see how all the pieces go together before you rip yours apart...

Buy a cheap welder and save her!

Well I fixed all the wires...The yellow, purple, and green wires were replaced (fog light wires), and as I said in the original post, it didn't fix anything. Then I got myself contorted under the dash, and looked for more burned wires....I found that the factory wire harness leading to the radio was burned, as well as some of the aftermarket radio harness. I pulled the radio out and and seperated all the wires in the factory harness, a few were bare. With that I replaced the interior light 10amp fuse, and everything worked except the fog lights, pass side headlight, and brights and bright indicator. I was stumped, but then I remembered the fuse block under the hood...I checked and the pass side 15amp fuse was blown, I replaced that and all worked again.

I stopped by the junk yard, and they have one 95 Pathfinder. I got the new HVAC duct for $30.00, I need to go back and get the factory radio wire harness.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the carpet and smoke smell. I need the entire drivers side carpet in blue, anyone have it that they want to sell me? If I can't get the factory carpet, what else can I use? Any ideas?

Also how do I get the smoke smell out? The inside has a burnt plastic smell, and in some areas there is black soot. Of course I will clean whatever I can, but the smell is still there. I sprayed Ozoium in the truck a little while ago hopefully that might help. I also purchased Febreeze to spray the seats. Any other good ideas as to how to get the smell out?

Thanks,

Zack

Great work sorting that mess out! You could get carpet from the pull a part too...Old carpet would make it look original! New carpet would make me want to drive barefooted :tongue: so it is a toss-up