New Pathy owner in El Paso

I was involved in an accident on April 2, 2011 that totaled my 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax and put my motorcycle in the shop. As I was now without a ride and doing a lot of traveling for work made rentals a royal PITA I decided to look for cheap transportation to get me to and from work until I got paid for my truck. While going to look for at a Suburban I ran across a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 that said $1500, 4x4 and A/C on the windshield. I test drove it and looked it over and was able to purchase it for $1300. It needed new tires, a radio and some TLC but everything worked except the passenger door tumbler. So other than only being able to unlock it from the driver's side I was VERY happy with it.

Immediately after buying it and getting some new tires I decided that it needed to be tested off road to see how it did. I have been nothing shortly of astounded by how well this thing does off road. It has the typical exhaust leak due to broken studs on the manifold and the red interior isn't the prettiest but I have been able to go places that my co-worker's Jeep Rubicon (with locking differentials) was not able to follow. After a short while of owning this truck my initial thoughts of possibly selling it once I got paid for my Silverado have vanished!

So now comes the plan (which is where these forums are most highly anticipated). I realize that the weakest point right now is that I don't have locking differentials, I plan to get a set of ARB air lockers for the front and rear. I browsed through Rugged Rocks website and I really want to get the Calmini 3" suspension lift and Doug Thorley headers. Upgraded alternator, clutch, bumpers and roof rack are also in order. I would like to add rocker panel sliders, skid plates for the entire underside and front and rear bumpers. For the engine I would like to go 12:1 compression with forged pistons and rods along with bigger injectors, fuel pump and a good fuel pressure regulator all tied together with a piggy back fuel management computer and an AEM UEGO wideband O2 sensor. So far Rugged Rocks has been the only website I have found that has much for these but I know there has to be plenty of other sites. Thanks for reading and I look forward to what people have to say about my truck and my plans for it!

IMAG0199.jpg

Shortly after buying it

IMAG0185.jpg

As it sat when I found it

IMAG0175.jpg

The carnage that got me my favorite vehicle I have ever owned with 4 wheels (this being my eleventh)

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

Congrats souds like you found a great deal. I thought I stole mine for $2200! After market seems to be drying up a little for the older Pathfinders. There are still all the parts you are looking for, but not a huge selection. There might be some ARB bumpers floating around out there but I think they discontinued making them for the 87-95. Here is a link to a similar item.

http://www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAGStore/TAGStore/tabid/71/List/1/CategoryID/364/Level/a/Default.aspx

4x4 parts.com also caries a good selection of parts. http://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/

Good luck

Rugged Rocks is ran by a member here (search Steeevo :aok: ) and is good people. There is a thread around here somewhere with links to a bunch of sites that got wd21 parts (might have to weed through some dead links). The garage section, how tos, and the (for you) 90-95 wd21 sections will be great assets to you and dont forget the free FSM download. And dont, I repeat DON'T downtalk the "Rape-me-Red" interior!

Thank you all for your interest and welcomes! Yes, I will have a little bit of money to play with, the biggest problem will be allowing myself to not have the truck while it's getting new parts lol. The first thing I was thinking of doing was the headers because of the exhaust leak then getting a full 2" header back exhaust done at a shop in Tucson that has done the exhaust work on all my vehicles I have been able to get there. What is the FSM download?

Those TAG bumpers are EXACTLY what I wanted thanks a ton for the link. Most of the work to the truck will probably get done when I deploy next year. Like the engine build and suspension work. I have thought about doing the suspension before I deploy but then I will want bigger tires, which will make me want more power, which will lead to the never ending cycle of missing weekends driving because I'm working on the truck lol. Since I can't take the truck to Afghanistan with me I may as well pay someone to do all the upgrades so that I come home to a truck that is just how I wanted it.

One of the things I forgot to ask about was 2" fender flares to keep 33x12.50s inside the fender wells and to confirm that I can get a disc brake rear end from a newer Pathy to put on mine. The rear drums annoy me to no end lol. Thanks again for your welcome and interest in my truck!

Rear disc is a wd21 thing, just find a donor with the same gears and swap the whole axle out :aok: (more drum brake hate! Am I the only one who thinks about swapping my disks FOR drums? ) as for the KMA TAG bumper, seems to be 50/50 shots with them here, some people like em, but if you want some fear of them, check MY1PATH's postrunner bumper thread. You can get a set of factory flares, but they ain't 2" but offer some extension. Otherwise think about either fitting on a set from something else, a homemade set (think garden trimming), or watch for a used set as I think aftermarkets are pretty much outa production

If you would like to swap rear axles I would be more than happy to trade for discs lol. The drum brakes probably work better (semi trucks use drums) but I want the discs because they are so much easier to change when I have to do a brake job lol. AS far as the TAG bumper goes, that is just the look that I want. Any idea how wide the factory flares are? Even if they are an inch I could go 32x11.50s and be happy, while saving a few bucks when I buy tires. I think since all I want is a 3" suspension lift 33s may be a little big. Any idea how the fiberglass front fenders from 4x4parts.com work? I like the look and they would give me the flare I want I think, then I would just need some rear flares. Is there a specific WD21 I should look for for the rear axle swap? I have looked at every Pathy since I bought mine looking for rear discs and have yet to see a single one (including the body style after mine). Thanks for your help Nunya!!

EDIT: Never mind on the fiberglass fenders, they are a 4" wider fender so way overboard. I will look at some generic ones.

Edited by SnailPowered

I think it was a SE trim level package, but pretty much luck of the draw as there ain't much method to the madness that is the package system. Stick with checking wd21s though (your bodystyle, 2 and 4 door) as the r50s I belive never had the rear disc option. As for the stock flare width, I'll measure mine later but am pretty sure they are about an inch tops of extra tire coverage. Don't forget to factor in wheel width/backspacing too though, my winter 31s hang out past my flares due to the wheels they are mounted on but my fair weather 32s on my blings are nice and snugish

Rugged Rocks is ran by a member here (search Steeevo :aok: ) and is good people. There is a thread around here somewhere with links to a bunch of sites that got wd21 parts (might have to weed through some dead links). The garage section, how tos, and the (for you) 90-95 wd21 sections will be great assets to you and dont forget the free FSM download. And dont, I repeat DON'T downtalk the "Rape-me-Red" interior!

as Josh said, RR is member run company, he is a GREAT guy to deal with, fast, helpful, and just good service all around. You can check the vendor section for other parts companies widely used by our members. (steve also did a nice SAS that was featured in 4x4 magazine, which he sells and i plan on getting when finances allow)

The first thing I was thinking of doing was the headers because of the exhaust leak then getting a full 2" header back exhaust done at a shop in Tucson that has done the exhaust work on all my vehicles I have been able to get there. What is the FSM download?

most of us with the thorley's run 2.5" pipe through. the FSM is the Nissan factory service manual which is our bible... you can DL it here off the site.

vendor section linky VENDORS SECTION

One of the things I forgot to ask about was 2" fender flares to keep 33x12.50s inside the fender wells and to confirm that I can get a disc brake rear end from a newer Pathy to put on mine. The rear drums annoy me to no end lol. Thanks again for your welcome and interest in my truck!

you MAY be able to find some bushwhacker flares (what I had on King) kicking around on ebay or craigs list.. they don't make them for our pathy's anymore, and i sold my set to another member. i don't like having flares on my rigs as they cause rub marks/damage to the body, especially if you wheel in all kinds of crap like i do, crud gets under them and acts like sandpaper against your body.... but different strokes for different folks.. just my personal preference (i run 33x12.5x15 STT's).

and where are my manners! welcome to the family! WAVEY

*edit* yes, you can do a disk swap, several members have done it, just make sure, unless you are going to change your gears all together that you get an open diff, disk axel with the same gearing (open diff for lockers, some have LSD) as your front diff. there are 3 or 4 different gear options for our rigs.... 5 speeds usually have 4:37's, autos 4:63 are the most common.

Edited by Slick

Welcome!! I'm glad you like your pathy, a lot of members are fiercely loyal to them. They aren't perfect, but your upgrades should address the vast majority of them. A few notes...

Thorley headers-well worth it, I went with 2.25 piping but a 2" magnaflow high flow cat (California laws).

Rear Disk-true- brake changes are quicker, but also more expensive. Parking brake pad is $100 alone IIRC. Drums shouldn't need changing for 30,000-40,000 miles but will fade faster from heat. I see them in the junkyards here often enough, and I believe MY1PATH was offering the parts for sale (he pulls them from the junk yards too)

Locker-Many people run a lockright mechanical locker on their daily driver with little complaint. It would save you a lot of $ and you could decide if you really need/want the front locker. You need an open diff for the install though, not LSD.

Fender flares-I'll measure when I get home. They are often for sale here or found in junkyards.

FSM-Factory Service Manual can be downloaded for free, 1994 is the earliest verdion, but covers everything the sasme as 1990 other than dash/some interior, trim, and a few details. There is a thread pinned in the Garage section with the instructions of where to go.

Gearing, you can also go with 4.9 gears out of an Xterra.

Motor-You can always put in a VG33 out of an R50 (you have a VG30) which nets you another 20hp. Add cams, intake, headers and engine controller and you should hit 200hp+ easily. The engines bolt right up, with the VG30 parts on it. Some mods like AC bracket required.

That shoul;d be enough for you to digest for a bit. Take some time to look around and ask questions before just buying parts, you have more options than you think.

Oh, bTW, looks like your T-bars are sagging. Time to crank them up and/or reindex them... ;)

B

Given $2000 and a bone stock WD21 SE-V6 4x4 what would you guys do? I'm thinking headers, 3" lift, 2.5" exhaust and RR polyurethane motor mounts. Of course I am pretty sure it needs ALL the suspension bushings replaced...Can I do that when I put the lift on or would I need a shop to do some of it? Thanks for your help Slick, and I don't think I have mentioned but I am currently jealous of all your trucks lol. ::sigh:: Mine will be there as soon as I can make it all work! Thank you for your compliments and after having one for a short while I must say I am hard pressed to believe that any other factory 4x4 offers so much for the price of a Pathy! Yeah, I was looking at the torsion bars myself today thinking that they need to be cranked up some. I will probably do it after work tomorrow if I get enough of my online class done today. A VG33 sounds pretty sweet but I have always wanted to build an engine from the block so I figure a little research and a donor Z31 or Pathy at a junkyard will yield up a sound long block for cheap. Thanks a million for the support, I know I have found the right spot for all my Pathy love :D

EDIT: Precise1, I just read your thread about Calmini's severe lack of support for their product and although the kit looks really nice I believe customer support is more important than good prices. Is there another 3" lift that is recommended?

Edited by SnailPowered

Thanks a million! I looked on there before and somehow missed the suspension lifts altogether! I had a run in with a Jeep today :( Now my hood is bent and the bumper needs replaced soon. I know a guy that has a D21 he has done a TON of work to and he said he can get it fixed for pretty cheap though. I feel so bad!!

Given $2000 and a bone stock WD21 SE-V6 4x4 what would you guys do? I'm thinking headers, 3" lift, 2.5" exhaust and RR polyurethane motor mounts. Of course I am pretty sure it needs ALL the suspension bushings replaced...Can I do that when I put the lift on or would I need a shop to do some of it? Thanks for your help Slick, and I don't think I have mentioned but I am currently jealous of all your trucks lol. ::sigh:: Mine will be there as soon as I can make it all work! Thank you for your compliments and after having one for a short while I must say I am hard pressed to believe that any other factory 4x4 offers so much for the price of a Pathy! Yeah, I was looking at the torsion bars myself today thinking that they need to be cranked up some. I will probably do it after work tomorrow if I get enough of my online class done today. A VG33 sounds pretty sweet but I have always wanted to build an engine from the block so I figure a little research and a donor Z31 or Pathy at a junkyard will yield up a sound long block for cheap. Thanks a million for the support, I know I have found the right spot for all my Pathy love :D

EDIT: Precise1, I just read your thread about Calmini's severe lack of support for their product and although the kit looks really nice I believe customer support is more important than good prices. Is there another 3" lift that is recommended?

you're welcome, and if I had $2k, i'd sooooooooooooo go SAS! lol, but i have all the other goodies already, so in your case, lift, tires, exhaust and bumpers, (and engine if you really feel the need for more power. my old boy does juuust fine on and off road for me).

:aok:

What is it with Pathfinders vs. Jeeps? Are they magnetic? Sheesh!

Hope it dosen't cost ya' much to fix.

Mini Me HATED the Blue Meanie (my 90 wrangler)......

At least you don't constantly get people calling you Pathfinder a jeep like they do WhiteOwl.

Hit up a junkyard though for a hood (4 bolts and 1 rubber hose for the windshield washers. And a d21/HB hood IS a direct swap) and use sone pennies towards a bumper with beef :aok:

All you need for a 3" suspension lift is some upper control arms, rear springs, rear shocks and a pan hard drop mount. It is highly recommended to inspect/replace suspension bushings especially the one on the frame/rod to the lower control arm.

I honestly think that Calmini makes good product most of the time, but if you just get blown off when there is a problem, I have no use for them. :shrug:

If you want to build a motor, then build a VG33. You can go a lot farther with it. Info in the custom section... ;)

B

Oh, quit running into things, dammit!!

Edited by Precise1

I ordered bumpers from TAG today. The guy that called me was super nice and said that he has a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder as well. They also offer a 5% military discount. Not a whole lot but it did chop shipping in half basically. They won't be done until the end of June beginning of July is what he told me. The front end should get fixed shortly after Memorial Day weekend. RR motor mounts, all suspension bushings and Thorley headers are next on the list. I should have the headers, motor mounts and suspension bushings on before I get the bumpers. Now I have to impatiently...I mean patiently, wait for my parts to arrive. My motorycle will be done before Memorial Day weekend though!