Wheel bearing brand experience

fleurys

I need to redo my wheel bearings on my pathy and have decided to redo it inner and outer at the same time. The price of the oem nissan would bring me around 250 for all 4 bearings.... But there is also generic brand like KOYO and F.A.G that would bring the price to about 60$ for all 4.

Thats a BIG change and asking your opinions based on experience... My truck is a keeper, so I,m not looking for lesser quality than oem.... but cannot know if it is as good or not.

Anyone out there that changed their wheel bearing with KOYO or F.A.G bearings or even other ones than oem ? what was the results, the fit etc... any comments are welcomed... Thanks

S.

Edited by fleurys

Rockauto.com has Beck/Arnley brand for $8-$12. My understanding is that Beck/Arnley doesn't make anything; they repackage OEM stuff under their brand name. I just got a Beck/Arnley water pump for my frontier; it came in a Nissan NA bag! Alternatively, you could try Timken - they have a very good reputation.

Timken on my WD21. No problems. I'd argue most bearings will work fine as it is the preload, usage and maintenance (keep greased) that really matters on the life of bearings. In 25 years the only wheel bearings I have had to replace have been when I first buy a vehicle from the PO.

B

Thanks everyone... I have enough info to go ahead with aftermarket instead of oem... I,m still gonna go with oem for the grease seal just because of my previous nightmares with aftermarket diff seals that leaked bad.... but I guess with maintenance the bearing will be ok...

It was my mistake really... in 2.5 years of trail I had never serviced the bearings... just did not know.... so they are starting to growl on one side... lesson learned...

Tks. !

F.A.G bearings are actually very high quality. I have not replaced wheel bearing but at work we use them in large indutrial pumps and other machines. I've never seen any fail except when they were not lubed properly. Good luck with the change out

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know anything about the brand 'SKF' for wheel bearings, Ive never heard of them but I looked on their website and they seem to be a pretty big company. Rockauto is limited for brands it seems for front wheel bearings.

Thanks

Edited by feyded

I just had my inner and outer bearings replaced after my break fiasco. My replacements are from F.A.G. Much cheaper than the Nippo stock bearings. I'll let you know if they wear out prematurely.

SKF is a huge bearing company. It's what I used in my wd21... they seemed of high quality.

Ideally wheel bearings shouldn't even need much attention... but you need to make sure they go in clean, with enough grease, and that they are adjusted properly and stay that way.