Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUV's

In the end the appraisal company calls me to say the pathfinder isn't repairable, and they offered me a more than acceptable buy out offer. I signed the truck over yesterday, and I am waiting for the cheque in the mail.

Somehow after almost two months of total bull@!*% and frustration, things worked out ok.

How much was the offer so we know what to expect? What was the mileage?

Edited by 2kpath

They brought in the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles inspector to consult on the "kit", because technically fibreglass cannot be used as repair on car frame components in Nova Scotia.

now THERE'S something I agree with!

OK, I noticed the rust problem on my 01 Pathfinder when I replaced my Struts back in April. Spent 3 months getting ready for my wedding and once the honeymoon was over I dug out the Recall notice and took the vehicle into the local dealership. I figured I'd add my experiences for future reference.

First, the Damage. When I replaced my struts (April) I noticed a rust crack on the fender. I could stick a screwdriver through some areas of the crack but it was not seperating. If Nissan had not issued the recall, I was just going to cut out the section with serious rust (2" x 8") and weld in a steel patch.

4 months after I originally found the crack (last week) it had opened up to a hole 1 1/2" wide x 8" long. It wasn't rusted, it actually started peeling back the strut tower mount. Pic below

DSCN0249.jpg

So I called the dealership and they took a look. When they put it on the lift and took pressure off the strut tower the gap closed back up. The first 2 spot welds had broken and the strut tower was peeling open like a sardine can. Dealership said it was repairable but not driveable. They overnighted in the parts and I should have it back Monday or Tuesday.

I was curious what the fix so I dug up the full recall notice and the detailed fix. If anyone's interested you can read here

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCRIT-11V244-1111.pdf

The one thing that I noticed is that the inspected areas (Area 1 and Area 2) are not really the bad rust areas or even the failure areas. They are the areas the repair bracket bolts to. As long as the steel in that area is solid the bracket will reinforce any weak areas and prevent further failure.

Bigmatt

Thank you for posting that NHTSA PDF. It appears that owners of Pathfinders with no or only surface rust around the strut towers (both driver and passenger!) will get a free undercoating with this recall. I will print out the first page and ask the dealer for this service soon.

Thank you for posting that NHTSA PDF. It appears that owners of Pathfinders with no or only surface rust around the strut towers (both driver and passenger!) will get a free undercoating with this recall. I will print out the first page and ask the dealer for this service soon.

You probably have as much (none at all) rust as I have. I can't get over some of these pics you guys are putting up in this thread! :ohno01:

The dealer found no corrosion on my Pathfinder. They also didn't need to remove the airbox for inspection. Non-salt states have a different recall # (R1108), I assume the inspection instructions are different as a result, and I won't be receiving an undercoating. I can't find R1108 on the NHTSA site.

And yeah, some of these pictures are crazy and unimaginable....

Edited by Towncivilian

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure many of you guys know what's going on... but i just got my letter today.

Pretty cool if you ask me - the fact that they were able to find me that is. I've never gotten any official letter/notification from Infiniti/Nissan before, especially being the 3rd owner.

Infiniti_Recall_mailing.jpg

I don't live or don't believe the truck has ever been to any of the listed states/areas, but I'm considering taking it in to see what might happen.

Pretty cool if you ask me - the fact that they were able to find me that is.

Not very hard for them to do so. They get your info/address from the DMV. Any time there is a recall they go into the DMV records all over the country looking for the VIN numbers of those vehicles affected and get your info so that they can send you a letter.

You might not live in one of those areas but is worth a check. It is free anyways.

I never got a letter from Nissan but I called up the local dealer and he looked up my VIN number and it came up as on the recall list. Truck was looked at this week and they informed me that they are going to scrap it. Waiting for the call now telling me how much they are going to offer.

Ok, so I did my first full on repair the other day. I followed the TSB to a t, then did a bit extra. As you can see from the before and after photos, there was some rust holes on this vehicle. I sprayed a rust inhibitor as well as a etching primer on the holes as well as the entire shock tower. You can see in the second photo the new brace is installed and has structural adhesive on the back. I used the adhesive at nissan when the Quest had a customer satisfaction campaign a few years back, and man is that stuff strong! The holes were covered with several layers of fiberglass and the entire area was covered in two heavy coats of undercoating. Im not saying this is the best repair possible, but it is a good repair if done correclty. Let me know what you think.

rustrepair1.jpg

rustrepair2.jpg

Not very hard for them to do so. They get your info/address from the DMV. Any time there is a recall they go into the DMV records all over the country looking for the VIN numbers of those vehicles affected and get your info so that they can send you a letter.

You might not live in one of those areas but is worth a check. It is free anyways.

I never got a letter from Nissan but I called up the local dealer and he looked up my VIN number and it came up as on the recall list. Truck was looked at this week and they informed me that they are going to scrap it. Waiting for the call now telling me how much they are going to offer.

That's interesting... I would not have thought that corporations would have access to DMV records and the personal information therein. As far as I know...they don't. I know the DMV would not give that info to me...and with all the privacy laws in place today...I'm surprised they'd give it to Nissan. I mean..yeah they sold the vehicles....but that doesnt' give them special rights. Just curious.

Dropped my 96 off on Wednesday evening and have a loner. Was called on Thursday saying they can't fix it and now waiting on engineers to take a look at it for the final decision. I have mixed emotions, I want it fixed because I really like my Pathfinder but it needs some other work done and may cost a couple grand to get back on the road with no issues. If they offer me a buyout it probably won't be enough to replace the vehicle and I'm not at the point I want to be to buy a new one.

They said it could take a couple of weeks to get an answer. Driving a 2011 Altima right now, very nice car.

That's interesting... I would not have thought that corporations would have access to DMV records and the personal information therein. As far as I know...they don't. I know the DMV would not give that info to me...and with all the privacy laws in place today...I'm surprised they'd give it to Nissan. I mean..yeah they sold the vehicles....but that doesnt' give them special rights. Just curious.

They get the info from the DMV for sure. Where else would they get the info? Most people don't bring their vehicles to the dealer every time and they need a way to find you when there is an important recall. If they couldn't get the info through the recall, how would they know who owns the vehicle after it has been sold to a dozen different people over the years? Is not just Nissan, but all the major car companies.

Doesn't mean that they can do anything they want with the info. Dozens of agencies/corporations have access to DMV records. There is nothing special about it.

I once owned a 95 Jeep Cherokee (before I came to my sense and got a Nissan) that had been owned by several different people over the years and I never brought it to a dealer, let alone any garage. Yet I got a recall notice for it in the mail for a possible defective heater control (which they say could have caused a fire). How else did they get my info other than the DMV?

Like I said before, is nothing special and is done all the time by dozens of agencies. Is specifically for things like recalls where the companies need to get in contact with you.

Mine is being scrapped.

I signed the offer for my truck as then signed over the registration.

The offer was more than acceptable. Unless your truck is a complete rust bucket, I would not worry about the offer they give you.

Truck will be at the crusher in a few days. The company told me all the trucks from the recall being bought back will not be sold to a junk yard for parts. All trucks must be crushed then sent through the chipper.

I was allowed to remove my tires/rims and put back on the originals as well as get all my stuff out. My custom steel bumpers had to be left on the truck unless I put back on the originals (which I didn't have anymore as they were cheap plastic). Though the replacement Nissan truck I will be buying will not be an R50 (but it will be another Nissan).

R.I.P baby.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is being bought back as well. They offered me the KBB value for excellent condition as a private sale.

I need help on what I should do. A day before finding out about the recall from dealership #2, dealership #1 performed scheduled maintenance ($650) without informing me about a recall. I contacted dealership #2 about it which took my truck in and said that if it can't be repaired, I would have to contact Nissan about a reimbursement. Well it can't be repaired and Nissan is telling me they don't do reimbursements and that the dealership would have to do so. What should I do? Is it too late to contact my credit card company since the bill has been paid already?

Edited by 2kpath

to help clarify my situation...

this is right out of the recall notice:

"DEALER RESPONSIBILITY

It is the dealer’s responsibility to check Service Comm for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall which for any reason enters the service

department."

I was NOT aware of the recall when I went in for scheduled service. The dealership did NOT mention the recall to me. The NEXT DAY I found out about the recall. At that point the dealership confirmed that there is a recall and took my truck. The dealership manager said that if the recall issue can't be repaired then Nissan will reimburse me for the scheduled service I had done the previous day. Turns out that my truck can't be fixed; Nissan said they don't do reimbursements and to contact the dealer. I haven't been able to get a hold of the dealership manager who told me about the reimbursement. Basically I spent $650 on work I should NOT have had done. The dealership did NOT tell me about a recall at the time of work. The dealership took my truck the NEXT day as it was deemed unfit to drive (How did the mechanics not even notice the damage when doing work on it?). The DEALERSHIP MANAGER told me that Nissan will reimburse me if need be.

Besides me, is anyone else ignoring the recall? Aside the safety issue, I'm not taking any chances with a dealership taking my truck away! I'll deal with the rust and wheel well issues on my own time......besides mine seem pretty OK, at least from a visual inspection.

Well.............Just heard that they are not going to be able to fix my Pathfinder. I have sent them the required documentation for them to determine what offer they are going to make me for the buy back. I'm hoping for something north of the KBB value for excellant condition so I will have a good downpayment for a new ride.

Good Luck to everyone that is ignoring this recall, I hope you have ZERO issues with your Pathfinder!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So i dropped my pathy off on thursday morning for the recall. Waited all day patiently for the dealer to call me to tell me what was going on. Found out Friday morning that all they had to do was the level 1 underbody sealant coating. Picked her up today and am soooo happy everything worked out well B):jig: . I had a feeling it was going to be ok after i saw the 3 other pathys in the dealer lot that had holes rusted all the way through. One actually was leaning real bad on the drivers side...

Now time to invest in some lockers and sliders!!! :tongue::dance:

Why doesn't nissan acknowledge the most important problem with theses platforms which is, the excessive oil consumption issue VQ35's have been plagued with. If your one of the lucky ones, I am envious. If not, I feel your pain. I cant believe this problem has not been acknowledged by nissan... Its the first thread on google if you search "excessive oil consumption"

Why doesn't nissan acknowledge the most important problem with theses platforms which is, the excessive oil consumption issue VQ35's have been plagued with. If your one of the lucky ones, I am envious. If not, I feel your pain. I cant believe this problem has not been acknowledged by nissan... Its the first thread on google if you search "excessive oil consumption"

I am thinking because it is not a safety issue.

I am sure there are tons of other engines with the same problems. If it doesnt involve bodily harm, then they are not going to try to fix the issue. At least thats how I look at it...

There has been reports of crashes due to the strut tower housing failing...

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

My '98 Pathfinder (196,000 Chicago miles) was taken to the dealer in April 2011 when I spotted the recall recommendation on the NHTSB website. The dealer wasn't even aware of this specific recall at that moment. Still, they looked, and confirmed it was a real recall.

So, off I go in a loaner/rental 2011 Nissan Rogue, at Nissan expense.

Repeated calls to Nissan throughout the summer resulted in no information on the PF's status.

Well, here it is November 2011. (6 months have passed.)

Just got a call from Nissan's agent. They said the car is not repairable and they were preparing a buyback offer.

I checked the Kelly Bluebook for value and it came up around $1800-2000 USD.

However, they offered $4200 USD.

And we've been driving the Rogue the whole time.

All in all, not a bad deal !

Still, I'm now minus a much-needed vehicle, and what can you get for $4200 ?