Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUV's

Having young children I can fully appreciate your take on this. But OTOH....if repaired PROPERLY it can be made to be as strong or even stronger than the day it came off the factory floor. Not trying to change your mind...just saying....the structure of the vehicle when originally built had lots of welded steel to begin with.

You are correct, the integrity of new welded steel to new welded steel is pretty sound. The problem is when you have 11 year old corroded steel and welding on new steel that is structural.

So we had a meeting today with some clairification.

The pictures that I posted above, are infact, repairable, and they are expecting a repair within the next month or so.

For them to be unsafe to drive, that rust hole must be right at the bottom, where the actual frame rail runs.

If you're looking at your truck, look for where the brake flex line and the steel brake line connect at the bracket.

Basically, there has to be a perforation BELOW that to be unsafe. Above that, and it's just a hole in the inner fender.

They will still be fixing that, but it's ok to drive for the next 30-45 days till they finialize the repair.

There's also the 2nd location to inspect at the top for broken spot welds.

• Like 1

so being that my inner fender was rubbing on the steering shaft I am betting they would have called that unsafe?? I thought it was, I towed it on a flatbed to the bodyshop :) and they cleaned up the rail till they found shiny metal to weld to . a good shop will make it safe

You are correct, the integrity of new welded steel to new welded steel is pretty sound. The problem is when you have 11 year old corroded steel and welding on new steel that is structural.

That wouldn't meet my definition of "repaired PROPERLY".

morpheous,

Before knowing anything about the recall I had found some rusting in the inner fedner area. I have already sanded/painted the area. Will Nissan be able to see the affected area? Should I sand all the paint off before bringing it in for the recall? There was no "rust thru" or perferation so I was not that alarmed.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an update from my dealer. They said Nissan said my pathy was fixable but at this time is undriveable. The fix has yet to be determined and should be figured out by late july. Meanwhile my pathy will have been sitting stagnant in the dealer parking lot under the sun cooking. I was amazed they didnt say they were just going to repurchase the vehicle considering the corrosion and holes in the wheel well and below. Even the mechanics were shocked. I spoke to Nissan Consumer affairs and they said nothing is in stone, so as they go forward there is still the possibility that they will purchase it. I'm not holding my breath.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just caught wind of a repair for these vehicles. It is a "patch" kit(for the lack of a better term). If your vehicle needs the repair, the kits are going to be shipped out soon, but will be on restriction, so pack your patience. It looks like panels will be riveted in, sealed and covered(im not sure about paint at this time). As I find out more, I wll lwt everyone know.

was informed by my dealer that my pathfinder isn't repairable. looking at the recall campaing bulletin, I would think it's repairable. what do you guys think? if it is repairable, what can I do about it? also, any word on how much nissan is buying the suv's back for?

th_2011_0720AILarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AHLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AFLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720ACLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AALarge.jpg

th_2011_0719AKLarge.jpg

Edited by 2kpath

Its a little hard to tell. Currently the bulliten is now updated with a repair. There are specific areas that the reparis apply to. This does not mean you get a whole new fender tower!!! For those without rust, the area will be prepped and undercoated as needed. I would ask your dealer if they have read the updated bulliten and point out the specific areas of repair.

Hello, It is 100% repairable, I did my 97 Pathfinder in January of 2011, cost at local body shop was $1280.00 plus PA Tax. They replaced 3 subframe panels on front drivers side, spot welded together, just like factory and welded to main frame which was not rusted. There is no band aid to fix this problem, once the area is rusting out, it just keeps getting worse. It is repairable and costly to do..

was informed by my dealer that my pathfinder isn't repairable. looking at the recall campaing bulletin, I would think it's repairable. what do you guys think? if it is repairable, what can I do about it? also, any word on how much nissan is buying the suv's back for?

th_2011_0720AILarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AHLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AFLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720ACLarge.jpg

th_2011_0720AALarge.jpg

th_2011_0719AKLarge.jpg

thanks for the quick replies! looking at the pics in the recall campaign bulletin, my pathfinder doesn't seem to be affected in the areas that are deemed unrepairable. am I possibly being misinformed by the dealer? is this something I can contact nissan directly about? as well, would I be forced to accept the buy back offer or can I have it towed to a repair shop and have it fixed if it really is repairable?

th_Capture3.jpg

Took my pathfinder back to dealer for recall inspection; my pathfinder doesn't seems been affected, so anti-rust undercoat was applied on both side of tower, but the service manager came get me and pointed out the both real upper and lower control arms bushings are worned and needs to be replace for $1,100!!! No thanks! Pickup my car and order those bushings from 4x4parts for $185 (plus shipping), going to my local shop have them install for me since I need to have it done regardless...

Took my pathy to a local dealer yesterday afternoon to get it checked out. I had glanced at the area in question a couple of times after reading this thread, but it didn't seem too bad, maybe a chip of rust. Once they got it off the lift (well over an hour) the service manager told me that it was 80% (?? to failure? rusted through? idk, he didn't specify) and would require about a business week in the body shop. They won't be able to even schedule the work until next week, and it could be a few weeks past then. All he told me was "not to baja it" haha.

I'm grateful to Nissan for getting these looked at/ taken care of. Still a little concerned about having a DD for a week to get to my 8-5 and such, but I'll figure that out. I will keep you guys posted.

thanks for the quick replies! looking at the pics in the recall campaign bulletin, my pathfinder doesn't seem to be affected in the areas that are deemed unrepairable. am I possibly being misinformed by the dealer? is this something I can contact nissan directly about? as well, would I be forced to accept the buy back offer or can I have it towed to a repair shop and have it fixed if it really is repairable?

th_Capture3.jpg

Im still in limbo on my 01 pathy. Its been sitting in the dealers lot for 2 whole months. Damn thing has been cooking on the lot the whole time because they deemed it undriveable. Based on those recent pics, mine is in way worse condition with a 1 foot by 3 inch rusted out hole in area 2. and I can poke my finger through area 1. However, Nissan said it was fixable. I dont get it.

I am going in for the inspection tomorrow on my Q. I've looked at the area and it has some rust, I can see from the engine bay where it looks like it is coming through. Hoping for the best. Here is a shot of the damage.

IMG_0820.jpg

Edited by qx403

so what if you were like me and had it blow out already (rubbing on the steering shaft) and had it repaired at a body shop for about $1500?? any chance of getting some cash back on that repair? happened the day after I bought it, and it SUCKED lol

I'm in the same boat as you though my wifes uncle fixed ours so no out of pocket expense, but the hole is still there and I'm not sure if it did any damage to the steering shaft - kinda affraid to take it in to be checked out, they may keep it or tell me since I had it fixed already I'm outta luck!!

Hello all. I'm new here. I wanted to add mys tory. I drive a 98 pathfinder. It had 209,000 miles on it. I got my recall notice and took it to the dealer after looking at the gaping hole in the wheel well. I had about a 2 inch by 8 inch hole in mine. Dealer called me the next day and said it was unrepairable. that was 2 weeks ago. I went in that night and got a loaner. it's an '08 p-finder. Great ride. I got a call last friday from the independent firm that Nissan Corp. hired to re-inspect the vehicles. The inspector checked mine out and sent the report to Nissan. I am waiting and should hear from Nissan this week. I'm quite sure mine is done. I'm just wondering what nissan is going to do for me. We're looking at newer Pathfinders now, so it'd be nice if we got a bonus for buying another Nissan from the dealer. I'm also hoping that they will reimburse me for all of the work I had done on it in the past year. I have new tires, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, timing belt, water pump, muffler etc. Easily $2000 worth of receipts to show them. I wish the mechanic had caught the strut tower while doing my front end 2 months ago.

So as you can see in the picture below that i posted before my friend's r50 had some serious rust issues and when brought in it was deemed unrepairable...well after 1 month of them not paying him for the car and no word or updates and refuasl of phone calls and getting jerked around he called back and asked what the deal was. The answer he got was they are going to fix it now and are waiting on the repair parts. So another 2 weeks went by and no word on it and it hasnt moved yet in the parking lot. He filled a complaint to corporate Nissan because no one would talk to him and they all seemed clueless as to what was going on and the next day they called and said it was fixed. Well I figured that was way to fast of a fix so I went and checked out what they actually did at my friends house. Guess what they did.....they put duct tape over the hole only on the outside of the wheel well, didnt sand any of the rust off, and then sprayed some black paint and bed liner on it. If i look from the inside i can see all the rust still and the back side of the tape. How is this a fix? Are these guys f u c k i n g retarded? My friend lives out in the country a rock is going to hit that sooner or later and go right though so that fix didnt do s h i t... What can someone do about this? Shouldnt they have to reweld that up or something that spot support the shock tower for cris sake!

Well heres some photos it was pretty bad that hole wasnt there they tapped it with a hammer and it all became visable and fell out so be careful its not always visible.....and they took it from him they are suppose to call him tomorrow to know the exact amount they are going to give him.

IMG_20110606_164110.jpg

IMG_20110606_164121.jpg

A quick question for all of you. My P-finder sits on the dealer lot and is unrepairable. Nissan has yet to contact me after Morley vehicle services has inspected it and sent them the report. I am driving an '08 pathfinder as a loaner from the dealer. I am going on vacation next friday. I intended to take my pathfinder on vacation and drive on the 4wd beach in the OBX. Would you take the loaner? I am saying that if Nissan doesn't contact me by friday that I am taking it. I hate to do it because it is the dealerships vehicle that they are trying to sell, but I also don't want to have to rush around to buy a vehicle to take on vacation because they've been dragging their feet. I feel like I'm screwing the dealer, but on the other hand, their parent company won't call me to settle up. My only other option is to buy another vehicle, but we're looking at another Pathfinder and I'm afraid that Nissan corp will offer me an extra bonus to buy another Nissan, so i don't want to lose out on that. What would you do? Should I even tell the dealer that I'm taking it or just goo and don't look back?

A quick question for all of you. My P-finder sits on the dealer lot and is unrepairable. Nissan has yet to contact me after Morley vehicle services has inspected it and sent them the report. I am driving an '08 pathfinder as a loaner from the dealer. I am going on vacation next friday. I intended to take my pathfinder on vacation and drive on the 4wd beach in the OBX. Would you take the loaner? I am saying that if Nissan doesn't contact me by friday that I am taking it. I hate to do it because it is the dealerships vehicle that they are trying to sell, but I also don't want to have to rush around to buy a vehicle to take on vacation because they've been dragging their feet. I feel like I'm screwing the dealer, but on the other hand, their parent company won't call me to settle up. My only other option is to buy another vehicle, but we're looking at another Pathfinder and I'm afraid that Nissan corp will offer me an extra bonus to buy another Nissan, so i don't want to lose out on that. What would you do? Should I even tell the dealer that I'm taking it or just goo and don't look back?

thats what they were doing to my freinds pathfinder and then they randomly fixed it with duct tape and underbody (not the correct fix but wanted him gone) so i wouldnt buy another car expecting that to stay unrepairable. I probably wouldnt take it 4 wheeling just because if something did break its ur ass and im sure it wont be cheap.

My pathy has been sitting on the lot for 2 months. Ive had a loaner the entire time. Nissan will not be fast. Take what the dealer is giving you and go with it. Its business.

On a side note, They put the 'kit' on my pathy. I am not happy happy about it. They said the 3" by 12" long gap of rusted out structure was not in the 'danger zone'. So they put bondo on it. A front impact collision and the driver is probably dead. I refuse to get back into that car. I am currently in 'discussions' about what they are going to offer up. I will update once a decision has been made. I think they are going to offer me $1500 off Dealer cost on a NEW vehicle. Big Fn Deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience from Canada:

My 98 had rusted through on the driver's side strut tower. I brought it in to the local dealer for assessment after the former owner notified me of the recall (nice thing to do).

A day or two later the dealer told me it wasn't drive-able but repairable. I was put in a rental (Enterprise, Maxima) and told to wait.

A few days later things really turned south. They brought in the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles inspector to consult on the "kit", because technically fibreglass cannot be used as repair on car frame components in Nova Scotia. His job was to sign off on the repair design as OEM and provide me with a letter to prove the repair was road legal. While he was in the shop, he pulled the sticker off of my Pathy (in NS, we have bi-annual inspection stickers), because of the recall issue as well as some brake issues. I had known about the brake issues, and was waiting to fix them myself once I knew the recall issue was going to be fixed.

The dealer then called to say that Nissan had decided to not cover the recall, because the recall only pertained to insured and stickered vehicles. They wanted me to come tow my vehicle off the lot. You wouldn't believe how steamed I was. I called the Nissan Inc call centre, and they said I should sit tight, and they would look into it some more.

Fast forward another week, and I am on vacation with my family. I get calls from the dealer and nissan demanding the rental be returned, and that I would be responsible for paying the rental if it wasn't returned a.s.a.p. I ended up spending an entire day of my vacation on the phone with Nissan and the dealer trying to sort everything out. They "allowed" me to keep the rental until the following Monday, but they weren't going to budge on the recall work. They offered me 1000 bucks and "special" pricing on a brand new nissan. You can roll into any dealership with anything on 4 wheels and get 1000 bucks minimum trade.

Fast forward another week, and I ask for the offer in writing, because I was tired of dealing with the whole mess. I get completely different responses every time I call, from "it was supposed to be emailed yesterday", to "I have no idea what your talking about, there is no offer." (quotes are paraphrased)

Fast forward to this week, when I email the dealer who calls me to inform me that Nissan has hired an appraisal company to value the vehicle.

In the end the appraisal company calls me to say the pathfinder isn't repairable, and they offered me a more than acceptable buy out offer. I signed the truck over yesterday, and I am waiting for the cheque in the mail.

Somehow after almost two months of total bull@!*% and frustration, things worked out ok.

My pathy has been sitting on the lot for 2 months. Ive had a loaner the entire time. Nissan will not be fast. Take what the dealer is giving you and go with it. Its business.

On a side note, They put the 'kit' on my pathy. I am not happy happy about it. They said the 3" by 12" long gap of rusted out structure was not in the 'danger zone'. So they put bondo on it. A front impact collision and the driver is probably dead. I refuse to get back into that car. I am currently in 'discussions' about what they are going to offer up. I will update once a decision has been made. I think they are going to offer me $1500 off Dealer cost on a NEW vehicle. Big Fn Deal.