Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUV's

Hello Everyone!

I came across this forum after reading about the Pathfinder Recalls in the states, and must thank all of you for sharing your experiances that I found extremely helpful.

I have a 1999.5 Pathfinder XE with stick shift that has/had 298,000km on it.

My car was severely affected by the rusting issue, as it started developing rust holes in the front left wheel well.

I dropped Big Blue (Thats what I call my Nissan) off at the dealership, and they deemed it unsafe and unrepairable.

They said they were going to contact Nissan Canada's headoffice (I think it's in Mississauga, Ont.), and gave me a short term rental for the time being. It's been 2 weeks, I have no idea what to expect, any ideas? I'm getting a little worried now.

Thank you in advance.

Wow, that sucks... glad you found us, but sorry to hear how you found us. Besides asking your dealership, maybe Morpheus will have some idea of time lines. Best of luck.

hello guys, first question: is this a sticky? because i consider this as very helpful information.

next, i just schedule my inspection for this friday.

but after reading that they can hold your pathy if its deemed "unrepairable" or "unsafe to drive"

got me all spooked up. mine is all rusted on passenger side fender and some inside the engine bay. also driver side bottom.

Now i don't know if i should take it in. man im really scared!

any suggestions?

If I were you I would do the following:

If you want to take a look yourself, look in at the strut over the left front wheel. Look at the unibody behind the spring. You are looking near the top for rust, then look straight down at the bottom of the unibody and look for rust flaking. The other area to look is at the front of the strut tower just behind the air box. Look to see if the panels have seperated and ar coming in contact with the steering shaft. Yes, you may loose your vehicle if you take it in, so I would check ahead of time.

Not having your truck for a while, or indefinitly would really suck, but not as much as if the problem fails when you are carting your family around town.

Not having your truck for a while, or indefinitly would really suck, but not as much as if the problem fails when you are carting your family around town.

Yeah, I agree, the problem is that there is lots of stuff that a car manufacturer won't want to deal with fixing (cost of fix > value of truck) but you might want to, especially if you can do it yourself, or with help etc. This sounds a bit tricky though...

Also, after they confiscate it, can you pull all your mods off and still get the compensation? If not, then people need to choose if they want to strip their truck or take it in...

Ok, here's some pics of what you're looking for.

There is a 2nd location that we inspect as part of the recall as well, that are higher up. This vehicle only had the perforation in the one spot, no seperation of the welds up higher, so I don't have pics of that...

DSCF1769.JPG

DSCF1770.JPG

Edited by morpheus

Ok, here's some pics of what you're looking for.

There is a 2nd location that we inspect as part of the recall as well, that are higher up. This vehicle only had the perforation in the one spot, no seperation of the welds up higher, so I don't have pics of that...

DSCF1769.JPG

DSCF1770.JPG

And this is only on the driver side??

Is this pathy able to get fixed??

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

so i took mine in at 10am today and got it back at 4pm.

its ok! they only replaced the gas tank filler tube.

they also suggested to do a complete tune-up.

which i will because i got to take it to get the emission test.

My friend just took his 96 into our local nissan dealer and they took it deeming it not safe to drive and to take everything out he wants to keep. Should they have provided a rental car free of charge? I will post pics and more info later today.

Well heres some photos it was pretty bad that hole wasnt there they tapped it with a hammer and it all became visable and fell out so be careful its not always visible.....and they took it from him they are suppose to call him tomorrow to know the exact amount they are going to give him.

IMG_20110606_164110.jpg

IMG_20110606_164121.jpg

I promise it will be worse if the thing fails while you are driving!! you can always skip it and get it repaired on your own like I did. I wasnt trying to skip the recall though, it just had not happened yet when I fixed mine

so i am from NY and have a 2001 pathy. bought it a year ago for $4400 as it had some fender damage. Just put 4 new tires on, got the fender fixed, new cv shaft, new brakes, etc. driver side front end was still making noise after the cv shaft was replaced. turns out that the strut tower was rotted out. a 3 inch by 6inch long hole was there it used to be. Took it to my dealer (they missed the diagnosis 2 weeks earlier- which I am pissed about) and its un fixable. Been driving around a 2011 Altima until they call me with an offer. Any suggestions on this? Is this a negotiation? Or are they just dictating to me how much they are giving me? Can I say, I just put $2k into this thing? I want $2k on top of that to buy another nissan? Any suggestions? Any idea what I am looking at as far as a check?

I know and understand this is a warranty thing and safety issue... But dam, don't anybody have welders or a shop that CAN weld?

Nope no welder for me...but that would be awesome. i just checked my truck today again from the outside, was banging the hammer on it seeing what it was like and found no issues...but ill be replacing a CV soon on the drivers side so then ill be able to look more into it

so i am from NY and have a 2001 pathy. bought it a year ago for $4400 as it had some fender damage. Just put 4 new tires on, got the fender fixed, new cv shaft, new brakes, etc. driver side front end was still making noise after the cv shaft was replaced. turns out that the strut tower was rotted out. a 3 inch by 6inch long hole was there it used to be. Took it to my dealer (they missed the diagnosis 2 weeks earlier- which I am pissed about) and its un fixable. Been driving around a 2011 Altima until they call me with an offer. Any suggestions on this? Is this a negotiation? Or are they just dictating to me how much they are giving me? Can I say, I just put $2k into this thing? I want $2k on top of that to buy another nissan? Any suggestions? Any idea what I am looking at as far as a check?

if you got reciepts, show them all that. if i were you i would fight tooth and nail to get as much as possible out of it. how many miles do you have on yours?

• Like 1

if you got reciepts, show them all that. if i were you i would fight tooth and nail to get as much as possible out of it. how many miles do you have on yours?

130,000 miles. I plan on fighting tooth and nail. It also has the Solenoid TCM issue as well with the flaring. I would also prefer to not drive around a patched up vehicle with my 3 year old son in the back. Welding a structural problem like this is like putting a bandaid on a flesh eating virus.

130,000 miles. I plan on fighting tooth and nail. It also has the Solenoid TCM issue as well with the flaring. I would also prefer to not drive around a patched up vehicle with my 3 year old son in the back. Welding a structural problem like this is like putting a bandaid on a flesh eating virus.

Having young children I can fully appreciate your take on this. But OTOH....if repaired PROPERLY it can be made to be as strong or even stronger than the day it came off the factory floor. Not trying to change your mind...just saying....the structure of the vehicle when originally built had lots of welded steel to begin with.

We havent had this issue down here since we are in TX but I did see the internal bulletin when it came out. Those are some ugly pictures.

After the Toyota thing last year all of the manufacturers are being very very cautious (maybe even overreacting) about anything that may cause a safety problem, and lead to bad publicity or a news frenzy like Toyota had. This is both a good and bad thing I think.