Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUV's

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110424/AUTO01/104240321/Nissan-to-recall-195-000-Pathfinder--QX4-SUVs-in-cold-weather-states#ixzz1KYlMctF8

Last Updated: April 24. 2011 6:27PM

Nissan to recall 195,000 Pathfinder, QX4 SUVs in cold weather states

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- Nissan Motor Co. will recall at least 195,000 Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 SUVs sold in 20 cold-weather states over concerns that rust could cause the steering column to break and cause a crash.

Nissan said in a notice posted on a government website Saturday that the recall of 162,658 1996-2004 Pathfinder and 33,333 1997-2003 Infiniti QX4 vehicles includes those sold or currently registered in 20 states that use heavy amounts of road salt could face steering problems because of corrosion issues.

In January, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened a preliminary investigation receiving 35 reports alleging a corrosion-related failure of the driver's-side front strut tower. In 18 of the reports there were allegations that failures impacted the vehicles steering, including five that reported the steering "shaft" or "column" broke resulting in a loss of steering.

In October, Nissan investigated an incident resulting in the loss of steering of a 2001 Pathfinder in Canada. In the last two months, Nissan collected several vehicles and shipped them to Japan for investigation. Nissan also purchased and evaluated several vehicles in the United States.

Nissan said salt and water can enter an assembly location hole in the upper strut housing, causing water to collect at the mating surface of the strut housing panel and the inner hood ledge assembly. Over time, this snow/water and salt may result in corrosion of the strut tower housing in some vehicles. Based on duplication testing, Nissan said it expects this condition may create a grinding noise and in some increase in the steering effort, though the vehicle would remain drivable. If this is ignored, in extreme cases, the steering column shaft may break and could result in a crash.

The recall covers vehicles in Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Some additional number of vehicles currently registered in other states, will also be included in the recall campaign.

Nissan will initially notify owners on May 16 of the recall. Dealers will inspect the strut housing and if no corrosion or only minor surface corrosion is present, an anti-corrosion sealant will be applied. If moderate corrosion is present, resin patches will be applied in addition to the sealant. If there is evidence of more significant corrosion, a metal reinforcement plate will be used to reinforce the strut housing assembly. In rare instances where it is impossible to repair the vehicle, Nissan will "provide an appropriate remedy."

Nissan hasn't said when it will begin fixing vehicles. But it said if drivers have "immediate concerns about their vehicle, they can have their vehicle inspected at a Nissan dealership at no charge. If necessary, Nissan will provide an appropriate remedy at no charge."

NHTSA has been aggressively investigating corrosion issues on older vehicles over the last year, and several automakers have issued large recalls to address the concerns that high mileage vehicles may face rust problems in salt-belt states.

• Like 1

Nissan Motor Co. will recall at least 195,000 Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 SUVs sold in 20 cold-weather salt-rust states over concerns that rust could cause the steering column to break and cause a crash.

Ok, personally I don't think that this issue with 8-14 year old vehicles drenched in salt water is an accurate reflection of a design flaw or manufacturing problem, but hey, some people may get lucky and get cashed out of a rust heap. :shrug:

B

Its basicly the same thing as when they recalled the fuel necks. I have only replaced one in my time, and that includes Pathfinders and QX4's. Personally, Im happy about this. Gives me a chance to sell something to a person/rig we havent seen in a while!

Ok, personally I don't think that this issue with 8-14 year old vehicles drenched in salt water is an accurate reflection of a design flaw or manufacturing problem, but hey, some people may get lucky and get cashed out of a rust heap. :shrug:

B

No, but in this case at least they're protecting their customers from potential injury. Chevrolet is recalling a few new Cruzes because one girl said her steering wheel came off while driving. There hasn't been any other reports if the same problem...

No, but in this case at least they're protecting their customers from potential injury. Chevrolet is recalling a few new Cruzes because one girl said her steering wheel came off while driving. There hasn't been any other reports if the same problem...

Makes seanse what kingman said, even if it had the word Cruze in it...

B

Sheet metal I have no problem with rusting, real frames that crumble at 10 years of age is BS... Now that where talking about caR50 mini vans yeah its whats going too happen. All strut mounted cars do this unless they in dry storage for years.

On this topic I think that nissan is in no way liabel for retarded drivers that dont take there cars in when the towers blow out.

Spoke to my Local dealer here in Nova Scotia today. They say they are not aware of any such recall here YET. When I told them what I read, they seemed dumb founded?!

This is from Morpheus, who is on my local board, as well as here:

Canada recalls are usually about 3-6 weeks behind the usa, and only if transport canada agrees they are a safety recall.

Ministry of transportation usa might say this is excessive rusting that is a safety concern. Transport canada may say, what do you expect, this is canada, cars rust...

Previous recalls that specified "salt areas" usually included canada in the end, but the repair might not be the same.

I had to do the same repair on my R50 when I got it, driver side tower had failed, had both sides done at that time too.

Update for my fellow canucks:

Recall has been accepted by Canada, and transport canada has been notified.

They expect to release furthur information mid-may.

Subject: 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder Front Strut Tower Corrosion Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign

Attention: Dealer Principals, Sales, Parts and Service Managers

***** Corporate Statement *****

“Nissan will be conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to inspect the front

strut tower housings on Model Year 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder and 1997-2003

Infiniti QX4 vehicles in Canada.

In certain rare instances, in areas where heavy concentrations of road salt are used in the winter, the front strut tower housing on the potentially affected vehicles can develop corrosion that may cause weakening of the seams on the edge of the housing and, over time, it may lead to strut tower damage. This may allow portions of the strut tower to come in contact with the steering column. This condition is expected to create a grinding noise and increase the steering effort which should alert the driver to the existence of a problem. However, if this condition is ignored, it could in extreme cases lead to damage to the steering column and potential loss of steering.

Nissan will begin contacting owners of potentially affected vehicles in Canada in mid-May to advise them about this campaign. Nissan is committed to a high level of customer safety, service and satisfaction and is working with dealers to promptly address this issue.”

***** Campaign Details *****

Nissan will alert the owners of potentially affected vehicles in mid-May to advise them of the issue and to offer an immediate inspection if the customer believes their vehicle is affected by this condition. If necessary, Nissan will arrange to provide an appropriate remedy.

Second, Nissan will issue a second owner notification once the remedy is fully

developed advising all owners of the subject vehicles to have their vehicles inspected and

remedied. The dealers will inspect the strut housing and if no or only slight surface corrosion

is present, an anti-corrosion sealant will be applied. If moderate corrosion is present, resin

patches will be applied in addition to the sealant. If there is evidence of more significant

corrosion, a metal reinforcement plate will be used to reinforce the strut housing assembly.

In addition to the campaign remedy, and in the interest of customer satisfaction, owners of

similar vehicles that are not subject to this recall because they were originally sold in and are registered in states where corrosion causing this issue is unlikely to occur will receive a

courtesy notification. For those customers wishing to have their vehicles inspected, the strut housing will be inspected and repaired, if necessary, in the same manner as described above.

***** Vehicle Identification *****

Nissan Online Applications (NOA) is not yet activated for this campaign, and will be visible by 04/29/2011.

***** Repair Instructions *****

A Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign bulletin including initial inspection instructions and claims information is currently under development. A campaign update will be sent to advise dealers when the bulletin will be available on ASIST and the dealer portal, www.nnanet.com.

***** Parts Availability *****

The campaign remedy is being developed. A campaign update will be provided as soon as the remedy plan is finalized.

***** Dealer Responsibility *****

It is the dealer’s responsibility to check NOA – Campaign I.D. R175/R1101 on the 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder, for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall campaign which for any reason enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in dealer inventory. If an affected VIN was part of a dealer trade, the letter associated with that VIN should be forwarded to the appropriate dealer for service completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little more information.

We are now able to inspect the affected vehicles.

If there's any "scab rust" or perforation in the driver wheel well, the vehicle is not repairable, and we are to hold the vehicle at the dealership and provide the owner with a rental vehicle until furthur notice.

There are 3 areas to inspect spot welds, if the welds are broken in one specific area, the vehicle is repairable, but not driveable, we are to provide the owner with a rental vehicle until furthur notice.

If the welds are broken in one of the other 2 places, the vehicle is repairable, and is driveable, and we are to return the vehicle to the owner and tell them repair information will be provided in the near future.

WORD OF WARNING!

We have reviewed the complete inspection proceedure, and if the vehicle is found to have a certain spot weld broken, or excessive rust, you will

lose your vehicle

It will be deemed "unsafe" to drive, and must stay at the dealership. You will be provided with a rental car, and nissan will pay for the rental. They will then contact you at a later date for what sounds like a "buy out" of your truck.

Keep this in mind if you want to schedule to have this inspection completed.

Just did my first inspection on a QX4. It was pretty easy to inspect. Yes, the TSB does state that we are to hold your vehicle if we find excessive rust. The one I did was perfect and it ahd 160,000 miles on it. If you want to take a look yourself, look in at the strut over the left front wheel. Look at the unibody behind the spring. You are looking near the top for rust, then look straight down at the bottom of the unibody and look for rust flaking. The other area to look is at the front of the strut tower just behind the air box. Look to see if the panels have seperated and ar coming in contact with the steering shaft. Yes, you may loose your vehicle if you take it in, so I would check ahead of time.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

As much as I would hate to loose my Pathy, it doesn't make a great deal of sense to keep driving it if it is unsafe enough to warrant that kind of action on Nissan's part.

I checked my dads for him, the drivers side is perfect yet the passenger side is starting to go. I'll probably just weld it up for him.

He has 285,000 kms on his 2000.

Edited by adamzan

My service adviser said my VIN is not affected yet. I'll post if anything changes about that in the future.

I will still take a glance soon, but I'm expecting either very little or no rust.

2 days ago i went to my dealer to find out if my pathy was affected. They said they knew nothing about a recall. I was shocked. So yesterday i showed them the recall info (i printed off all the info from the government site) and they ran my VIN and said i wasnt affected. Does anybody else find this fishy? lol.

I called Nissan North America many times but waited on hold forever...so im just going to keep calling...

so what if you were like me and had it blow out already (rubbing on the steering shaft) and had it repaired at a body shop for about $1500?? any chance of getting some cash back on that repair? happened the day after I bought it, and it SUCKED lol

so what if you were like me and had it blow out already (rubbing on the steering shaft) and had it repaired at a body shop for about $1500?? any chance of getting some cash back on that repair? happened the day after I bought it, and it SUCKED lol

I did too, I asked, they don't know yet.