Hello NPORA! Rambling & some Q's on Brakes !

winnipegjohnston

Hello NPORA!! I purchased a 2001 pathy auto/se 3.5L roughly 4months ago and I'm loving it! Well, I'm loving everything but the transmission flare when its cold. I have the "2001.5" which this is supposed to be solved on (from what I've read) but alas it is a problem that makes me nervous! The trans fluid looks like new and the truck only has 100k kms on it. Whatever...cant seem to find a solution to this problem at the moment so I will move on.

Since buying my pathfinder I have done the following modifications to it:

- Installed K&N CAI

- Installed Magnoflow 2-1 muffler (resonator delete)

- Installed Jackson Motorsports `the missing link`

- Installed Class III hitch with 2inch receiver and plug n play wiring harness

- B&M trans cooler (16k lbs) IN THE MAIL!

- Added Redline Water Wetter to rad coolant

- Installed factory Nissan hood/bug deflector (and blacked it out)

Thoughts on these modifications:

The K&N CAI and the Magnoflow exhaust REALLY brought this truck to life! The intake sounds like its going to rip your nuts off when you hammer it! Also, after adding the I/E combo, my gas mileage increased by close to 50kms per tanks!

The Jackson Motorsports `missing link` was the best suspension/chassis mod I have ever done and it only cost $40! (and I have subaru sti as my fun car and I`ve thrown $1k parts on it that havent made as much of a noticable improvement as the missing link!) The missing link made the pathfinder feel like more of a truck...more solid...HIGHLY recommended.

Nothing really to say on the other mods...

Okay, so now I have some questions for you guys. I have a 18`starcraft bowrider fiberglass boat w/ inboard 4.3l V6. The boat weights approx. 2450lbs dry. I`ve looked thru the owners manual and found all the specs on towing. I believe it says anything over 1k lbs you should have trailer brakes, but I will NOT be installing trailer brakes on my boat trailer. Alternatively, I would like to upgrade the brakes on the pathy (I understand the push concept that the boat/trailer will have on the truck hence the manual recommends trailer brakes but I'm just not going to listen to them! I live on the prairies and will not be tackling any hills or travelling any major distances...this is my justification). I looked on all of the big brake websites ie Brembo, Willwood, Baer and I couldn`t find any applications for my truck? Are there any aftermaket brake kits for these trucks with a rear disc conversion? Or, is there other years of pathfinders that have compatible rear discs for my truck? If I can grab some rear discs w/ axels off another pathy that would work for my truck that would be ideal. So far the "highest" level of upgrade I have found for my truck are rotor & pad combos off ebay...would you guys suggest either of these packages http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350449926174&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280658104214&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT ???

Please, any suggestions and advice is welcome!!

Side note: I'm also in the midst of ordering some OME coils from Rugged Rocks. Just waiting for Steve to get back to me... I cant find the heavy duty coils for the rear, only the front on their website??

Whowahh!! That is a mega ramble!! Input/advice/questions all welcome!!

Thanks!!

Edited by winnipegjohnston

first welcome

as for your brake questions, theres a vendor on here "frozenrotors" or something along that line that might be able to give you some pointers on a product they make, rockauto.com has some cross drilled ones on their site, and I belive "Kingman" had a crossdrilled setup on his old 2door wd21. Cant remember though if he had any noticable difference with them or where he got them. (sorry)

it 'might' be possible to swap a rear disc setup from a wd21 onto an r50 as well but I ain't too sure there either, depends on how much you like work :whistle:

For brakes, I got the ATE slotted rotors and pads from part source, and it made a huge difference in the braking power. I've towed a couple cars on a trailer and never felt like the brakes were lacking. The old brakes were ok too (raybestos), but they were nearly done after a summer of towing a lot!

Also, great idea on the transmission cooler, your trans will love you for that. :aok:

Welcome!

No real bolt-on BBK (Big Brake Kit) for the Pathfinder. No easy swap either. As others have said, rotors and pads are the best upgrade. I switched to blank Brembos with EBC pads and the difference was remarkable. Way better than what the truck had on.

Don't think anyone has found an "easy" way to replace the rear drums with discs on the R50. The H233B came with drums on Frontiers and Xterras, too. Keep in mind that the parking brake setup is built around drums, too, complicating any swaps.

I would also suggest a brake fluid replacement. Full replacement, not top-up or bleed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic - absorbs water over time. That lowers the boiling point and degrades the braking power. I boiled my fluid while wheeling. I have found speed bleeder screws (basically, bleeder screws with a one-way valve) invaluable for bleeding and replacing brake fluid.

Good call on the tranny cooler.

Honestly, if you're going to be trailering anything heavy, I would save the money from a BBK or rear drum swap and allocate it to trailer brakes. Folks often realize trailer brakes would have been good at the worst possible time - when slamming on the brakes because some doofus up front suddenly slammed on his/hers.

So two suggestions for EBC pads... I checked them out but I'm not sure which ones to get, the yellow stuff pads or green stuff pads. Which ones did you guys get? Maybe I a retard, but I can't tell which pad states the most stopping power, yellow or green. The yellows are more expensive which naturally leads me to believe they are higher performing brake pads?

More suspension Q's. So I'm talking with Steve from Rugged Rocks and he has informed me that OME does not have a rear HD coil for my truck, only a Medium. Can anyone share their experience with these OME medium springs ie stiffness compared to stock and lift compared to stock?

Are there any other reputable coils out there with a heavy duty spring rate that have little to no lift over factory height? I'm fine with 1-1.5" MAX

Thanks guys!

Edited by winnipegjohnston