New Pathfinder vs 1995 Pathfinder vs G35....

mickyficky

So, I currently have a 1995 SE 4x4 with 200k. Runs strong, I love it, but is starting to have some minor issues.

I am buying a new car and want to hear what you think, especially if you know or have the newer pathfinder.

Here are my options

1) buy a 2008ish Pathfinder (4x4, v6) and maybe get a cheaper old fun car - alfa, gti, whatever, OR

2) buy a G35 or similar sports car and keep the 1995 pathfinder

I need a car to drive to work in (45 m/day) and I use my pathy for everything it was intended for....I work out of it, use 4x4, use it to haul sporting goods - mt bikes, kayaks, etc - and to haul home depot type crap and the dog....

Are the 2008 - with the newly revisited body on frame - pathfinders pretty awesome or not? I drove the 2008 g35 with a 6MT and it was awesome!

Edited by mickyficky

I don't know the newer Pathy, but here is my take on it.

Keep the old pathy since you use it for what it is and get another vehicle to supplement it. It will keep the miles off of it, make it last longer and you can take it off line to put a little $ and love into it so it lasts another 80k miles.

A new pathy won't be used as this one is and probably cost a bundle, and you never know what/how deep you buy into with a new fun car. Better the devil you know, eh?? ;)

:my2cents:

B

x2 to what B said, and keep the Pathfinder. Since you are out in Cali where the rust monster doesn't seem to visit, you'll still have a solid vehicle if you need to unload the G35 for some reason.

The newer pathfinders seem to have a lot of gremlins. I looked into them for my wife when we were looking for something with 3rd row seating. They are affordable but don't seem to have the reliability that the older ones had. Just my .02. I'd keep the pathy and get a sports car or look into a wrx or forester xt 2500lb towing, plenty of room for a dog or the occasional groceries and decent gas mileage.

Newer pathfinders have all independent suspension. Have not done as well as the R50 and WD21 in off-road tests. Much more geared to comfort; in essence, the Xterra has become what the Pathfinder used to be and the Pathfinder has become a sort of rugged-looking urban vehicle. It has suffered from a number of little gremlins as folks mentioned.

The G35 is a great fun car. Nothing bad to say about it.

I don't know if this is a consideration, but parts and servicing on newer cars can be pretty expensive. If you keep the older pathfinder, which shared parts with the Hardbody and many many other Nissans, you're guaranteed availability of cheap parts for a few years. Older cars are usually pretty well-known and most folks can work on them. Newer cars have a whole lot more electronics, doodad features and far more cramped engine bays. So if you do need to take either the G35 or the new Pathfinder to a mechanic, you could end up paying more.

Just my $0.02.

Hey, thanks everyone! I was kinda leaning the way you guys are too, keep the old Pathy (by the way, it runs like a champ) and get a car....whatever I get will probably be recycled after about 5 years, so it won't be a keeper like the Path

I'll post some pics when it happens!