Floor jack

bsb1957

Im looking to buy a floor jack and was wondering if anyone had any comments as to the pros and cons of different brands.I was also curious as to what weight capacaties you guys think is best along with lift heights.

everyone has their own loyalties, at work all our floor jacks are Lincoln brand, 1-5 ton load capacities(with one overkill monstrosity I don't even know what it is. 1 or 2 ton should suit you just fine for a Pathfinder). DEFINATLY add jackstands to your list WITH the purchase of a floorjack as I suggest you NEVER put yourself under a vehicle of any size only supported by a jack. My head ain't the greatest lookin but I've grown rather fond of it...

1-2 ton will be strong enough but most of them do not lift high enough for a lifted pathy.

The wife got me a 4.5 ton jack that had plenty of height but it broke my back to move it arround. (wheels don't work on stairs)

I personally prefer bottle jacks and hi-lifts for the pathy. They are light easy to position and don't take up near as much space.

I literally do all my diveway jacking with the factory bottle jack.

Yep, good advice all the way around. Since you specify a floor jack, I assume this is staying in the garage/driveway. I have 6 jacks but the one I'll grab first at home (expecially for the 4x4) is the full sized 3 ton floor jack with the matching 3 ton jack stands. It has enough height for most jobs without using blocks, is very stable and doesn't require a lot of elbow grease. Of course, I don't pick it up much...

As for brands, I don't know as that one showed up in my driveway from a moving neighbor. I do know that the small Craftsman 2 ton floor jack I've used for 20 years still works fine so I guess you can't go wrong with that brand. Before you go spend big $ though, check to see who actually makes the jack as I suspect many are made overseas and simply rebadged...

B