Yeah so my front diff took a dump today....

Well - not to fully turn this thread into a "where's your jackstand dude?!" but... I was always skeptical about jacking up the truck from the from cross-member. But seeing you do it and hopefully not having bent or broken anything makes me wonder if this is ok. Also - nobody commented on you using the cross-member as a jacking point.

Next time I jack up the truck, I'll considering using the cross-member.

I thought they put that cross member there just for my jacking convenience! B)

edit: err, have I have a wd21, so I don't know how similar they are

Edited by sewebster

Jesus people talk about beating a dead horse. I was never actually directly under anything. If the truck were to fall, it would fall on the lower control arm and even then it would not come anywhere near hitting my body.

I can easily see clearance issues if it came down. Blow it off if you like, it's your arse that pays, but everyone else is right.

That is a terrible disregard for safe work practices and I appreciate everyone pointing that out. Most 'accidents' are easily avoidable...

B

I wasn't going to, but since you asked for it....

You need to use a jackstand.

Guys in the tire shop (not ours, thankfully) have gotten hurt pretty badly having not used a jackstand and we're not under the cars at all. They had maybe a foot or a partial leg barely under and gotten pretty well injured. So, yes, i'd say you would've gotten hurt a pretty fair amount.

You know, go to almost any tire shop around your area. Watch them work. I can almost guarantee you that none of them use jack stands, only jacks identical to Andrew's. The Les Schwab I worked at was the same way, never had an issue... and neither has any of the stores in the area for as long as they've been open.

I'd be more worried if it was one of those POS 1-ton weenie jacks, not the big 3-5 ton gear driven ones.

I always use jack stands when I can if the vehicle is going to be off the ground for any length of time, pushed/pulled on, or I'm underneath it. Especially with a cheap weenie jack. I don't trust those things as far as I can throw them.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

What kingman said, these guys I work with are mechanics by profession, and build racecars as a hobby. They have nothing but the best stuff. Those jacks are stout, takes all of 5 pumps to jack up the truck that high. And they are super wide, thus very stable. The cup on the jack is around 5in wide also.

You know, go to almost any tire shop around your area. Watch them work. I can almost guarantee you that none of them use jack stands, only jacks identical to Andrew's. The Les Schwab I worked at was the same way, never had an issue... and neither has any of the stores in the area for as long as they've been open.

I'd be more worried if it was one of those POS 1-ton weenie jacks, not the big 3-5 ton gear driven ones.

I always use jack stands when I can if the vehicle is going to be off the ground for any length of time, pushed/pulled on, or I'm underneath it. Especially with a cheap weenie jack. I don't trust those things as far as I can throw them.

What kingman said, these guys I work with are mechanics by profession, and build racecars as a hobby. They have nothing but the best stuff. Those jacks are stout, takes all of 5 pumps to jack up the truck that high. And they are super wide, thus very stable. The cup on the jack is around 5in wide also.

doesn't really matter to be totally honest with you. just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't or won't. just because guys are professional mechanics doesn't make it less dangerous.

just like someone else said, idiots and/or kids can easily come by and release the jack. i've seen brand new jacks give out for whatever faulty, defective reason.

but, it doesn't really matter. it's your choice to work as safe or unsafe as you like. :)

EDIT: BTW, as far as the Costco tire centers in the Sacramento County area, you won't see a car lifted on a manual jack without two other things in place. those being a wheel chock and a jackstand. not only is it an instilled guideline for us, but an automatic write-up, demotion, removal from department, or even termination. that's us and that's why we're different from other tire shops. not to toot our own horns, but toot. ;)

Edited by esy

The company I used to work for lost there forklift mechanic that way. (He was a professional) He just needed to check something really quick so he didn't use stands. The jack let go while his head was under a tire and squashed it like a grape. He was 21 years old and his wife had just had their first kid three weeks before the accident. I've had a jack let go while I was repositioning it and caught my hand between the bumper and the jack handle, almost took my thumb off. I don't trust jacks!

James

Only thing Ive used a jack on up front was the crossmember. Its quite strong, its not going to bend from a jack.

Mine is bent :(

But seriously man, jack stands. Doesn't matter that you don't intend on being directly under the truck. @!*% happens.

Let's put aside the argument about whether jacks can fail or whether pros need them. I can see how the comments could be interpreted as "You are stupid". They are well-intentioned. Let's look at this anothe way.

Is it that hard to spend a few extra minutes to put a vehicle on stands ? If it isn't hard, why not do it and have the peace of mind and the security ? You don't have to guess whether the jack will give out or not.

I once had to change a tire like this while coming down a washout on a trail; the only thing keeping it from moving was the tow strap on my rear hitch holding it to a tree..... pretty intense and no jackstands sucked...... :deadhorse:

34476_463117696101_607666101_6173627_2357586_n.jpg

Edited by muddfildvaynes

Well, as long as we're all beating the "use a jackstand" dead horse, might as well share the love....

muddfildvaynes: whoever used that hi-lift should be whipped with a wet noodle! When using a hi-lift, the handle should ALWAYS be returned to an upright position, never left in the horizontal position. A failure on the jack could cause that handle to ratchet back to vertical on its own, and if anyone's body parts are in the way, they could be seriously injured.

I once had to change a tire like this while coming down a washout on a trail; the only thing keeping it from moving was the tow strap on my rear hitch holding it to a tree..... pretty intense and no jackstands sucked...... :deadhorse:

34476_463117696101_607666101_6173627_2357586_n.jpg

Holy wow!!!

Haha, thanks for sharing, but you know what I'm gonna say... so I won't even say it :deadhorse:

:itsallgood:

Come on people there has to be atelast another 10 people that have to say the same damn thing...go ahead you know you want to.

I count 7 so far. :D

Look at it this way, it's just people looking out for you. At least you don't have 10 people saying that jackstands are a waste of $ and you should never waste your time... ;)

I do think we should get back to the blown CV and not diff damage though.

B

Get the story right Adam, I was NOT doing ANY grinding that night. I did not get the metal flake in my eye while working under the pathy but instead believe it was washed into my eye from my hair while taking my shower the next morning.....if you are going to say stuff than make sure the facts are straight. So everyone knows i went to the eye doctor and they numbed my eye and took out the flake which was lodged in my corea with tweasers, then air dusted the rust spot off the cornea....took awhile and the doc was getting pissed cause my reflexes would not cooperate....kinda hard not to close your eye when you see a sharp pair of tweasers coming at it.

Glad it wasn't the diff. Still love your pathy think its my favorite r50. On the jack stand thing Guess I am dangerous like you as I only use jack stands when the vehicle is going to be sitting there quite a while. I am like you and jack it up fix it drop it back down done. Although like right now I am using them on my pathfinder but there is nothing under the front like contol arm for it to land on it would drop far and land on the front hanger.

Yeah, and I bet Andrew runs with scissors!!! :tongue:

Anyone think Andrew has had enough of our :nono: ?

Congratulations on all the great :offtopic: comments you've received Andrew (even if it's just us extra "Dad's" giving our gratuitous safety advice said only in your best interest - me included) and for having your topic quite efficiently :jacked:!!!

Now I'm going to go to my user subscriptions and unsubscribe cause I'm :bed: of getting the emails on this...it's driving me a little :crazy: .

Here you go Andrew :hugs: and not in a :gay: way...

• Like 1

Congratulations on all the great :offtopic: comments you've received Andrew (even if it's just us extra "Dad's" giving our gratuitous safety advice said only in your best interest - me included) and for having your topic quite efficiently :jacked:!!!

Now I'm going to go to my user subscriptions and unsubscribe cause I'm :bed: of getting the emails on this...it's driving me a little :crazy: .

Possibly one of the greatest posts in this thread :hugs:

Get the story right Adam, I was NOT doing ANY grinding that night. I did not get the metal flake in my eye while working under the pathy but instead believe it was washed into my eye from my hair while taking my shower the next morning.....if you are going to say stuff than make sure the facts are straight. So everyone knows i went to the eye doctor and they numbed my eye and took out the flake which was lodged in my corea with tweasers, then air dusted the rust spot off the cornea....took awhile and the doc was getting pissed cause my reflexes would not cooperate....kinda hard not to close your eye when you see a sharp pair of tweasers coming at it.

Been there done that twice!

James

:omg: I could not stop laughing when I read this post!!! :rofl:

Definately the funniest thing I have ever read!