VG30i Discontinued Head Gaskets?!?!

So I am rebuilding my 87 2dr 4x4 and i have the TBI 3.0. I ordered a gasket set from my local Nissan dealership and they were able to get the whole set minus the head gaskets!? The parts manager told me that my production date is to early. Mine being manufactured 01/87. I was told that the heads changed in 04/87 to a newer "w" series vg30i. Nissan no longer sells the head gasket to the pre "w" series casting. After some research I did find a few pictures and step by step rebuilds for other people. I found that water jackets are different on the 300zx (vg30e....not i). I also found a chart that tries to list the workable combination of old and new casting numbers.

:clickdalink: The only thing that worries me is being able to find a "pre W" series head. I have a cracked head that needs to be replaced before I can move on in this rebuild. :unsure::(

Is this going to be easier to replace both heads with the new casting and port out some water jackets? Or Do I try just buying one head and hope its correct and possibly have the old casting crack on me again?

How many people have encountered this issue? In 3 months how much did they really change the head? Anyone know from experience?

have u tried rockauto for aftermarket head gaskets?

I haven't tried to purchase any type of head gasket after the ordeal with the Nissan Parts dept. I had a friend suggest a local parts house ordering a generic set and take my old head in and mark any differences. If the gaskets are too diferent then I can send them back. That is always a good last resort I guess. I just want to make sure what I'm slapping in there is going to hold up and I would like to have it for a long time. :)

• 2 years later...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ITM-Engine-Components-09-40542-Head-Gasket-/121273878677?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988|Model%3APathfinder&hash=item1c3c7c8895&vxp=mtr

there's a head gasket by itself for an 88 pathfinder. its listed specifically for 88 and that has the tbi motor. there are quite a few listed that say they are compatible on ebay.

Edited by Nefarious