Changing #3 injector

mhay

Hey guys. I've got an intermittent code 51 so I checked the resistances and #3 had about 70 ohms. I am going to replace it but was wondering if you think it is possible to remove/install with the plenum in place? Thanks in advance, Matt

Well, as you probably know, #3 is the middle cylinder on the passenger side. So it is certainly more accessible than the injectors that are physically under the plenum (2,4,6). For me it wasn't particularly easy to get the injectors out of or in to the fuel rail though, So I'm guessing taking things apart is going to be easier. Be careful installing the new injector that you don't tear the o-rings.... I did even when being somewhat careful and then I had to take everything apart again. You might consider taking all your injectors to a fuel injection shop to have them cleaned and flow tested (probably $200 or so).

i did mine with it being UNDER the intake plenum and didnt remove it completely..but it definitely makes things easier..but, i dont think with it being there you'll have too many problems.. MAKE SURE you grease the O-rings, both of them. i used dielectric grease..and lots of it. if it doesnt go in easily, add more grease.. just, not enough to clog up the fuel passages.. just be gentle and you should be good.

I learned from experience on the injector covers (the little metal caps) arent very tough..so make sure the injector is down all the way and you screw it down evenly..

good luck! any questions feel free to ask. :) also, make sure it matches your other injectors.. (blue dot or black dot.. mine were blue dots..) or else it may fry your ECU.

Yep, middle one on the passenger side and I don't see why you would need/want to pull the plenum. Like was said, match injectors, install new O-rings, grease and go easy and you should not have any issues. Make sure to relieve fuel pressure first and drain the fuel rails so it doesn't all pool in the cylinder...

B

ok, so I've got the retaining cap off but the injector won't budge. Also, the top seems do be falling apart if I tug on it. Any tips to get this thing loose?

ok, so I've got the retaining cap off but the injector won't budge. Also, the top seems do be falling apart if I tug on it. Any tips to get this thing loose?

This was my problem, so, with the fuel rail out, I put a socket on the bottom and hammered, but you don't have that luxury. The thing to do is to try twisting it. I guess if you are replacing it you don't care about breaking it, but don't bend the fuel rail.

Yep, try to get it to rotate, maybe 1/16-1/8 turn either direction while pulling. Once it breaks loose it should twist right out. Try by hand and be gentle yet persistant. Worst case is that you break the injector in 1/2 and have to remove the fuel rail, but the one came out of my wife's R50 with 160k miles pretty easy.

B

Ok, with a lot of muscle and cussing I got it out. Now, I need to get a new one. Anyone suggest a place to get one with the blue dot? Oreilly's autozone and napa only have the black dot ones. Thanks, Matt.

Ok, with a lot of muscle and cussing I got it out. Now, I need to get a new one. Anyone suggest a place to get one with the blue dot? Oreilly's autozone and napa only have the black dot ones. Thanks, Matt.

i got mine from ebay.. this one to be exact:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320632519512&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

really cheap too..i havent had any problems with mine yet..

good luck! :)