Frontier or Xterra

porsche4786

I'm looking to get an Xterra or a Frontier. I would prefer the Xterra but I can only seem to find them with an automatic. Which I've never owned an auto. I can find Frontiers with a manual. Most of them are an extended cab (king cab). But I have seen a couple crew cab with a manual. Which would you get? I rarely have more than 1 passenger (and most driving is alone, to work and such), but when I do have multiple passengers it's usually a longer drive; fishing, skiing, camping type of thing, not just a short drive. I think I would prefer the Xterra more for everyday things like grocery shopping as well. More room to throw the groceries in (I'm a once or twice a month shopper). Would be looking at 1999-2003ish years.

I'm looking to get an Xterra or a Frontier. I would prefer the Xterra but I can only seem to find them with an automatic. Which I've never owned an auto. I can find Frontiers with a manual. Most of them are an extended cab (king cab). But I have seen a couple crew cab with a manual. Which would you get? I rarely have more than 1 passenger (and most driving is alone, to work and such), but when I do have multiple passengers it's usually a longer drive; fishing, skiing, camping type of thing, not just a short drive. I think I would prefer the Xterra more for everyday things like grocery shopping as well. More room to throw the groceries in (I'm a once or twice a month shopper). Would be looking at 1999-2003ish years.

It doesn't actually matter. What do you want - a truck or an SUV ? The Xterra is a crew cab frontier with a bed cap. The frontier is an Xterra with the roof cut off.

if you aren't going take it on any crazy tight, technical trails, I would go for the LWB CC frontier with the larger box. You will appreciate the extra space for long stuff like skis, 1-piece fishing rods, building materials etc.

If you're gonna do technical wheeling get the SWB CC frontier (4-foot box) the shorter wheelbase and length will help you negotiate those cool forest trails you Oregonians are blessed with.

if you aren't going take it on any crazy tight, technical trails, I would go for the LWB CC frontier with the larger box. You will appreciate the extra space for long stuff like skis, 1-piece fishing rods, building materials etc.

If you're gonna do technical wheeling get the SWB CC frontier (4-foot box) the shorter wheelbase and length will help you negotiate those cool forest trails you Oregonians are blessed with.

I'd like the longer bed normally, but it wouldn't fit very well in the garage. So it would have to be the shorter bed. I don't really do much for off roading, since my pathfinder keeps breaking. I went and looked at a 4 door frontier. I was kinda surprised by how little leg room there is with the crew cab. The xterra has much more as far as that goes. I did find a really nice xterra on CL but it's an auto. Probably the nicest one I've seen so far, also one of the closest. I noticed there are a lot more manual transmission nissans up in WA, closer to Seattle. What's with that!

I'd get a Frontier, more versatile, and lower COG. Especially with the CC, you can still carry people or stuff out of the weather like an X, but you have the bed that can be either open or covered cargo area without a saws-all. Not to mention with the bed you can carry dirty stuff and just hose it out afterward.

Hmm... I can't tell you what to get. Only my thought process by contrast since I just acquired a Fronty after spending months looking at Frontiers, Xterras and (of course) Pathfinders

I'd like the longer bed normally, but it wouldn't fit very well in the garage.

I thought the same. Then I thought,"It's a truck. Leave it outside. Who cares ?"

I don't really do much for off roading, since my pathfinder keeps breaking.

Breaking because you're wheeling it hard or breaking because of other issues ? If you're wheeling a '90 hard enough to bust it regularly, neither the Frontier nor the X are gonna cut it. You need a SASed rig with 6+" of lift and chromoly everything...

I was kinda surprised by how little leg room there is with the crew cab. The xterra has much more as far as that goes. I did find a really nice xterra on CL but it's an auto. Probably the nicest one I've seen so far, also one of the closest.

I saw the small amount of legroom in the crew cab, too, and thought,"Oh the heck with it. It's a truck. Just get the bed and use it for all the trees in your backyard and all the crud you're gonna accumulate over the next 10 years. You have an Altima if you want to ferry people."

As far as the distance goes, I drove 300+ miles to New York to get my Fronty.

Basically, I realized I was hardcore motivated for a pickup truck and got the Fronty. Distance, legroom, garage space and stuff didn't matter because I had something with fewer creature comforts (and fewer things to fix for the ridiculous process that is Maryland inspection), more utility (for my purposes) and an even simpler layout.

So, it really comes down to how motivated you are for a pickup truck or an SUV...

If you already have a car or SUV and your next purchase will be an addition, I would get the frontier. If not then the Xterra. I like em both.

Well, my pathfinder is going to get sold. My car is an rx-7, which is a 2 seater (not much for a people hauler), and a GSXR motorcycle. It's a hard choice to me, pickup is nice for hauling stuff. But if I need a pickup for something I can always use my dads 3/4 ton truck. But then again, that involves driving over to get it too. I think my main thing is, I do not like automatics very much. I like my vehicles in my garage so people can't screw with them, and when I'm working on them they can sit in the garage and the door can shut. It's dry and warm, and mostly theft free. Plus my driveway is fairly small. As for off roading, I don't really go seriously. Mostly just snow or fire roads in the mountains for wood/shooting/fishing. Wood is for a friend, and I use a trailer, and they drive a pickup. My pathfinder always being broken is because the person before me didn't take care of it at all. And I'm finding this out one thing at a time, usually right after another. I like the pathfinder when fishing cause I can put my pole inside without taking it down, and my fly pole is 9 foot. Skis can always go on the top, and I've got a basket I can use from the pathfinder. Only problem with the crew cab truck is I'd have to get the short bed to fit in the garage (and being able to get around it) but I would have a harder time hauling 2x4's and fishing poles and stuff with only a 4 foot bed, lots of them around here don't have sliding rear windows also. And if it's raining, then you'd get water inside too. I don't know what I"m trying to talk myself into or out of. Hard finding good shape rigs in this town for some reason. Nobody likes to take care of their vehicles anymore.

damn i just saw a 2002 xterra manual super charged with a body lift, roof basket, grill guard and lights go for 6500 on my z forum! I personally like the xterras more than frontiers but i like suvs vs trucks

P3290035.jpg

P3290039.jpg

Edited by edicer2

damn i just saw a 2002 xterra manual super charged (black 100k miles) with a body lift, roof basket, grill guard and lights go for 6500!

That's pretty cheap. I looked at a supercharged one with an auto, I wasn't sure how the supercharger effects reliability though. Most of these things need timing belt right when you buy them, either they don't realize how important it is to replace, or it's just before 105k miles.

well the tbelt interval is 105-168k according to alldata for a vg33. They should be reliable i have a stock vg33 in my z and im running 12-15psi on a fairly large turbo with no problems so far. I am not sure how well a auto tranny holds up but im sure the manual ones are just fine.

Edited by edicer2

well the tbelt interval is 105-168k according to alldata for a vg33. They should be reliable i have a stock vg33 in my z and im running 12-15psi on a fairly large turbo with no problems so far. I am not sure how well a auto tranny holds up but im sure the manual ones are just fine.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I just keep getting closer and closer to needing a vehicle that I can drive daily and get stuff done. I'm going to need to haul lumber, dirt, water troughs, and all that sorta thing in soon and the rx-7 isn't an option for that. Plus it doesn't tow a trailer. The rx7 isn't fun to drive everyday, and with a racing seat, I'm getting too beat up lol. The dealer told me it's 105k miles. They charge $1050 to do it. I can do it myself though, but it's a bargaining point I guess. Most dealers say "well it runs fine though", I guess their mentality is that if it's not broke it doesn't need fixin?

Thats 105k miles or 168k kilometers

My biggest concern with a supercharged fronty/xterra would be the previous owner. Did they abuse it ? Were they doing burnouts in the parking lot ? The hp and torque upgrade over stock weren't huge, but the very idea of a supercharger leads people to do silly things. Also, while working on my frontier, I noticed the supercharged sometimes requires slightly different parts. Stuff like seals and gaskets (not just in the engine).

My biggest concern with a supercharged fronty/xterra would be the previous owner. Did they abuse it ? Were they doing burnouts in the parking lot ? The hp and torque upgrade over stock weren't huge, but the very idea of a supercharger leads people to do silly things. Also, while working on my frontier, I noticed the supercharged sometimes requires slightly different parts. Stuff like seals and gaskets (not just in the engine).

Right, if they abuse it, it can do more damage. And it's hard to tell what people do with their cars. I feel like nowadays people drive like complete idiots. I looked at an Xterra after work with an...automatic....It's at a dealer that does mostly wholesale, but I guess business is slow for him, so he's selling a few retail. It hasn't been cleaned up (wholesalers don't usually do that, that's up do the retail resellers). It's got 125k miles, needs a timing belt, and rear windows won't go up without use of your hands. He's asking $6950 or something. Not quite sure what to offer him. Small dent in lower passenger side door. It is a one owner car and was traded in at a dealer. Thinkin about doing an auto for a couple years till I get some more money and go for manual then, when it's got low miles. So I can have more fun with it.

As a side note, I thought S/C Xterras only came in auto?

someone add one on a stick truck possibly? :shrug: don't know how hard of a swap it would be.

On the topic though, always having a pickup in my stable (normally a HB) and lacking one now I miss having one. I would personally vote shipping a 4 door HB (deisel !) or go frontie but on the same note if I had to replace WhiteOwl I'd want another SUV. Drive em all and choose one that fits YOUR personal needs best and fits in your pricerange (and garage :lol: )