Dual Battery Setups

SRN

I am beginning to outfit my Pathfinder for some backcountry exploring and with the addition of more communication equipment, off road lights, and generally piece of mind I'd like to set up dual batteries in it. I've done a search for dual battery setups and found some rather old posts covering it so I'm wondering if anyone has more current information. I'm particularly interested in seeing how someone has done a dual setup side by side under the hood. It looks like it could work if you moved the power steering reservoir. Has anyone done this?

Edited by SRN

don't forget to do an alty swap too for some bump in amps. Search the Maxima swap for a basic bolt on and the Quest swap for a more labor intensive job. :aok:

The Quest swap sounds better and a higher amp battery will do the job

• 3 weeks later...

I did a dual battery setup on my pathfinder a few years ago and I ended up building a separate box in the rear cargo area behind the driver side wheel well and recessed it into the interior panel then ran a power cable through the interior trim to the engine bay. I used two continuous duty solenoids to isolate the system so i could run auxiliary things from either battery or both together. I am currently doing a MAJOR project and rebuilding the entire truck so I'm adding some new features to the old system. I should have a new wiring diagram and full write up on the subject with pics in the next few months. Also the quest alty swap is the cheapest easiest way to get some more juice for your electronic toys, I did it and all my power problems went away, only problem i encountered was I the fusible link at the positive battery terminal harness was burning out and when this happens the battery stops charging. Solution was to simply run a new positive 4 gauge cable from the alty to the positive terminal. doing this gives the extra amps a new path to flow through.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I just had a dual battery system installed into my Oz 94 Pathfinder TI VG30E. All this fits under the hood. The summarized version is:

• Redarc battery isolator mounted on driver's side inner skirt forward of cruise unit
  • Deep Cycle battery in original battery position
  • Pirahna battery tray in place of carbon canister mounted on passenger side inner skirt.
  • Standard battery mounted on this battery tray on passenger side.
  • Moved windscreen washer bottle closer to firewall
  • Cable tied carbon canister to rear of new battery tray
  • Two sockets mounted through rear luggage compartment tail light inspection covers
  • Another two sockets mounted either side of the centre console for rear passengers

If anyone needs photos or a referal to the fitter please let me know. This setup is very neat.

• Like 2

I've run my dual battery setup for a long time now and it was fairly easy to do. Removed my stock airbox and used a K&N cone type filter from a kit I bought from Stillen. Then I was able to squeeze a Honda Civic battery where the old airbox was.

• 3 months later...

I have been debating on what to do for more juice, I was thinking of having two 6 volt batteries set up to be 12 volt to run a sound system, or extras for a CB, or if i should get a nice deep cycle 12 volt battery. I have also been debating a second alternator. The battery i figure would be best to be located in the rear of the truck in a box secured to the floor. This is something i have been debating on what to. along with trying to figure out where to mount one of my CB's that i have.

I am contemplating a dual battery set up also, one that I can isolate and use to power an inverter but also use to support winching. I'm looking at one of these to put under the hood where my relocated oil filter currently is, behind the PS reservoir. http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-35ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery-group-u1.html?utm_term=SLA-12V35&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=CPC&gclid=CKzdgIqZsbUCFQ45nAodyUQA4Q

Sealed AGM with 35 amp/hour capacity, sized 8x5x8" for $65.

For comparison, my Optima Yellow Top #75/25 has 48 amp hours, is 9.5x7x8" for $200.

B

• 1 month later...

Hi all again. I have fitted another neat mod to help with fitting all under the hood. I used a Nissan N13 windscreen washer bottle in place of the large factory washer bottle. It still comes with dual squirter motors so I can wash both back and front windscreens. I had to use the N13 wiring connector for the rear motor as the Pathfinder connecter has parallel spades instead of a T configuration. It was easy to crimp male spades on the end of this and plug them into the original socket. I bought some cheap galvanized strap from a local hardware store and made a mounting cradle and self tappered the lot to the inner fender.

At least I can now get cheap after market washer motors when these finally wear out. The N13 washer bottle also doesn't seem to be a brittle as the Pathy's. I have saved several inches of space, but lost a little water capacity.

Evilfinder, any chance you can update the thread with new pics? The others say you deleted them, any member of the Mod Team can update that post for you, if you send us the links :aok:

Would that support a 3 Pill linear? i intend on using the second battery for a CB linear as well as lighting (both not to be used at the same time)

Sorry, just saw this now. I have no idea what a 3 pill linear is so... :shrug:

B

Can we see some pics that aren't 3 pixels by 5 pixels? lol This is pretty interesting!

Daver123 are there any pics of your build? Sounds like a lot of work that many ppl here would like to see!

:thisthreadisworthless:

Edited by enkrypt3d

LOL I have a 50Mbps connection so dont sweat the size the higher res the better! and DAYUM your electrical work is CLEAN! have you seen my nightmare of a jerry rigged battery setup?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35312-tachometer-resistor-and-other-electrical-madness/

:blush02: How in the world am I going to clean this up? I have no idea where to start...