3.5l V6 into wd21

Guest yogi

I'm thinking about trying to swap my vg30 for one of those 3.5l jobs.

Has antone done it yet?

Can it be done?, I don't see why not as they are basicly the same.

the 3.5 Is VERRY Differant.

Size

Shape

engine mounts and locations

electronics

emissions

Bolt pattern for tranny bell housing

Etc...

Now a 3.3 on the other hand is very close, all the above is the same or can easliy swap over.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on the VQ in my Pathy and am working on the VG in my Fronty. The VQ is more "modern", which means it is more complicated, parts are more expensive and there are a lot more things that could go wrong. It will probably be a tight squeeze in the WD21 engine bay, the harnesses will be different and ongoing servicing may be quite difficult because of space issues. There is a chance you may need to swap the entire cooling system (radiator, fan clutch, fan, hoses) to account for the difference in engine size and heat. I'm not sure whether a VG30 cooling system will be enough for a VQ35. The size and layout differences could also create clearance or position issues for the steering box and various other components.

Basically, if you're going to that much trouble (likely a few thousand bucks assuming your time is worth SOMETHING), you might be better off just getting an R50 with a VQ. I've driven both the R50 VQ (GVWR of 4500 lbs with the junk I added) and a D22 VG33 (GVWR 5200 lbs stock) and the D22 never felt sluggish.

Fuel economy is going to be terrible with all 3 engines. If it's fuel economy you're after, look at models with the KA24. That's a zippy little thing, parts are dirt cheap and it will run forever. Still not *great* fuel economy but better than the V6. Besides, the money you'll likely end up spending on a major swap will eat whatever you'd save in fuel economy...

• Like 1

Fuel economy is going to be terrible with all 3 engines. ..... Besides, the money you'll likely end up spending on a major swap will eat whatever you'd save in fuel economy...

LOL Though as gas prices continue to rise gas mileage may eventualy catch up to the cost of an engine swap.

• Like 1