Front Limited Slip Differential

SRN

I'm interested in getting a front Limited Slip to complement the rear. I have searched here as well as other sites and not found much. I have found two interesting bits of information that I was hoping could be extrapolated on. First, apparently in Australia WD21's had a front LSD option. Has anyone tried to bring one of these diffs into the states? Second, I read that someone got an ARB designed for the rear diff in a KA24 powered D21 working in the front of a VG30 powered WD21. Does this suggest that an OEM LSD from such a truck might be able to work as well?

Finally, after market options. I don't see any, am I missing one somewhere?

there is also the Nismo LSD for the front of Fontiers and X's. Calmini and 4x4parts.com sell em too.

Breakaway settings vary from year to year. The most the clutch based 300zx were about 80ft lbs

The Nismo units were a measly 60 and the other 2 still can't tell me what the breakaway is on their product.

For reference the stock wd21 rear is 280

• Like 1

Good thing about LSD is it's progressive as it engages, so it's predictable and easy to control. Just don't put a ratcheting locker in the front, it'll yank the wheel right out of your hands and more than likely stuff you into a tree or bank...or off a cliff. :tongue:

I had always wondered about what I refer to as a momentary locker which would be either electrically controlled or something as simple as a camble activated locker for my front diff. I just basically want something for the odd time when I want to crawl over a log or go up an exceptionally greasy bank/ditch

i bought mine from 4x4.com and luv it but its abitch to steer especially if u wanna daily drive it in the winter

Try locking only one wheel (3 wheel drive) in the winter streets. It will help you combat the under steer issues and still provide you some pull from up front

I just installed a front LSD in my Pathfinder and I wheeled the piss out of it last week. Everything worked great and no CV breakage. It probably helped that I also installed drop bushings in the diff before I put it back in. I was able to climb everything with no slippage and I didn't really notice a huge difference in the steering response. LSD FTW!

So my understanding is that the 300ZX one is the "best" due to its breakaway point. But would the lower breakaway be better with winter street driving? My Pathy will see quite a bit of dirt, but probably not much terribly difficult terrain. I'm currently sourcing a factory rear LSD and my thought was having one up front would help offset the fact that I wouldn't have a full locker in the rear. Perhaps I'm over stressing it because I've had a locker in the rear of my Samurai for the last 12 years and have a hard time imagining going anywhere without one.

Like I said before for winter street driving with LSD you should only lock 1 hub This will eliminate the understeer issues you get with locking both and still provide you some power from the front.

Search my threads for modifying the rear LSD for more grip. Or get a powertrax for your open. I think they run about 300 bucks.

Any LSD up front will be better than open. The 300zx model is hard to find as most of them were open or viscous type.

No, 300ZX clutch LSD is the easiest to find. The were put in from 4/87-'89 - standard on all turbo cars and optional on the NAs. Only '88 Shiro Special editions, which they made 1002 of, had the viscous LSD and it is a heaping pile of garbage. '84-3/87s were all open differentials.

The problem is the price point, 300ZX CLSD differentials are expensive when the seller knows what it is and it's value. A unit in good shape can run upwards of $1,000.

• 2 years later...

I read your post entirely wrong, I thought it had read will an R200 LSD fit the rear (H223b). I was so blunt because that was a very dumb question. My bad man.

Yes of course it will, its an R200. The LSD unit goes inside the Pathfinder housing.

yup CLSD found in 87-89 turbo models and some NAs were equipped. aluminum finned diff cover gives it away.

just started to thread to see if there were any OTHER options ie: C200 LSD etc

Not that likely, they're extremely strong but, abuse is abuse... It would be a good idea to pull it apart and look though, just make sure you follow the book to the T otherwise you will ruin it.

• 2 weeks later...