direct mount roof basket?

hey i was searching really couldnt find anything about direct mounting a roof basket to the roof has anyone ever done it ? if so please say how you secured it from coming off the roof.(rivets,screws,bolts,etc).

or anyway to mount a basket without railings any help would be appreciated thanks and if this has been covered sorry

i was thinking about that cause i like the way it looks but over here the junk yards are kinda whack they have nothing and i found a stock pathy roof rack but he wants 50 bucs so im trying to find ideas of just straight bolting to my roof

I mounted my xterra rack with threaded rivets from harbor freight. You just drill a hole with a unibit so you get a nice round hole then install the rivet, now you have threads. To direct mount a basket it would need to have some flat feet on it that you could bolt down. I think most baskets are made to mount to a rack.

James

james wat about rust protect you go the silicon route. and i guess youll just have to fab up some flat feet for some other rack don't forget to think about how its supported on the roof and possible metal on metal chaffing.

james wat about rust protect you go the silicon route. and i guess youll just have to fab up some flat feet for some other rack don't forget to think about how its supported on the roof and possible metal on metal chaffing.

I used a thread sealant for pipe threads. Silicone can burn through paint and cause rust. A window caulk would work too just read on the tube if it says it's safe for metal.

James

• 9 months later...

I picked up a square body S-10 4dr rack from a local junk yard for 20.00. The way it's built it can be shortend and narrowed to fit the raised rear portion of the roof. Or may see how it looks using it full length, once it stops raining! :tongue: Also found instructions on building my own basket to fit what ever size roof rack I end up with.

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted my xterra rack with threaded rivets from harbor freight. You just drill a hole with a unibit so you get a nice round hole then install the rivet, now you have threads. To direct mount a basket it would need to have some flat feet on it that you could bolt down. I think most baskets are made to mount to a rack.

James

James, your rack looks amazing (wink) No seriously, I like the xterra rack on the wd21. I need to take a day off and go junkyard hopping....

here is one from 4x4parts.com

https://www.4x4parts...nts-p-4490.html

I'm thinking about going with it...they want 365.00 plus shipping.

OUCH! Dude that is spendy... if your handy with a welder, just build you one! To each his own tho...and if you have that kind of green just laying around, more power to you!

I picked up a square body S-10 4dr rack from a local junk yard for 20.00. The way it's built it can be shortend and narrowed to fit the raised rear portion of the roof. Or may see how it looks using it full length, once it stops raining! :tongue: Also found instructions on building my own basket to fit what ever size roof rack I end up with.

What part of TN man?