Wheel backspacing

can someone explain backspacing to me in ENGLISH?????? I want to get my new wheels before I get my larger tires.......I have found what I want, but the backspacing goes from 2.5" to 4.5".....what gets them further away from the truck......the lower numbers or the higher?????? I know this is a noob question, but I am a noob!!!!!!

offsetdiagram1.jpg

negative backspace is the same as negative offset. The number denotes how far the mounting surface is from the center of the wheel

Less backspacing = further out. Negative offset = further out. All of the numbers can get confusing. For example: A 15x8 wheel with 4" backspacing is actually 8.5" wide, that puts the wheel mounting surface (WMS) 0.5" towards the INSIDE of the wheel and that roughly equates to -13mm offset. Confused yet?

- edited because I am dumb sometimes

Edited by KovemaN

Sorry, I fixed it. In that case the WMS is 1/2" towards the inside of the wheel. Less backspacing = sticking out farther and a negative change in offset. Any wheel that doesn't have the WMS in the center has negative offset. Front wheel drive cars generally have a lot of backspacing and positive offset.

3.0-4.25 backspacing is your extreme range for the pathfinder IFS.

• 3" sticking out the most, Hitting your fenders the most and putting moderate stress on your IFS.
  • 4.25" sticking out the least and has a likely hood to rub on your frame

3.5-3.75 Is your happy zone.

• 3.5 is center and good on 15x7 wheels
  • 3.75 is about center and good on 15x8 wheels
  • 15x10 is NOT recomneded on IFS

• Like 2

Thanks so much....I totally understand now............all the explanations were quite confusing!!!!!!!!

I have 4.25" BS on 16x8 wheels, I run 265/75/16 MT tires with no rubbing on my frame, it's pretty damn close though.

I have 4.25" BS on 16x8 wheels, I run 265/75/16 MT tires with no rubbing on my frame, it's pretty damn close though.

experiences do vary, I have my steering stops turned all the way back and my 31's on 15x8 3.75BS have left a few visible marks on the frame.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to jump start a dead thread here but, I got some new 33x12.5R15 bfg muds today to replace the worn out swampers. They came with 15x10 wheels for free. Should I just bolt them on or do a wheel swap? I plan on getting a SL here in about 5 weeks.. Thanks!

if you can trade or afford it, get 15x8" wheels. I think 10" is too wide unless you are running tires wider than 12.5"

I know slick has been running 10 wides for a long time but I have heard that it puts more stress on the wheel bearings, but then again they are extremely tough on these vehicles. I say try them on and see if you like them, and if not swap them to your other wheels.

I lied, I looked over them today and they're 15x8. They seemed to handle fine. I don't know how much back spacing is on it though. I just put in new wheel bearings also along with pretty much everything else, bj's tr's etc. But thanks again guys!

I know slick has been running 10 wides for a long time but I have heard that it puts more stress on the wheel bearings, but then again they are extremely tough on these vehicles. I say try them on and see if you like them, and if not swap them to your other wheels.

I run 15x10s, in the winter only though and only with 31s on em. no problems/ill effects though yet with em. (2 winters on them so far)

• 2 months later...

I have 15x8 cragars with a 3.75" backspacing, and they do not work with 33's.

Just out of curiosity, in what way would this be relevant? The width of the wheel would have nothing to do with the Diameter of the tire. You could put a size 29 or 37 tire on a 15x8 wheel provided the width of the tire wasn't too wide. Perhaps you meant something else, but this didn't sit right to me.

*edit*

Perhaps you're saying this in reference to rubbing on the fender/frame?

Edited by Dowser