Dude chops his top and wants to show off his work and all that comes out is a bunch of pissing and moaning about it. It's not my style, but seriously, get a f-ing life. It's not like the original sheet metal is going to protect you in a serious rollover anyway.

0727081434a.jpg

no belt, walked away unscratched 30+mph

0669c3c7.jpg

highway speed tumble, went to get checked, sore but unscathed

I see airbags do more personal harm than rollovers. I got more if I can find em in my phone (the grand am that drove up a phone pole guide wire then did a flop-drop onto its roof was a good one).

Sorry for stirring the pot B. (Insert justification here)

Nunya - I was making the judgement based on the pictures of Pathfinder rollovers that I could dig up quickly. I have never rolled one and hopefully never will. I would really like to have a well executed exo. I will gladly sacrifice ergonomics and fuel economy for the safety. My family is priceless to me.

So much for this thread being about a unique custom job. :scratchhead:

@Chris: great idea. Love the fact you turned a Pathy into a ragtop beachcruiser rig. Totally badass. The pillars could use a little refinement, that's all.

One favour, though. Please don't hate on this forum because a few people gave their honest opinions forthright. Thanks. :)

Cheers! :beer:

Dude! Ive been lookng everywhere for a passenger side corner marker light! got this guys number? lol

Did you check with anyone parting out trucks or possibly make a WTB thread? A fiew people make frequent j/y runs and/or have supplies consisting of extra parts. Don't forget a zip code for shipping quotes.

• Like 1

Getting back on topic.... I'd be curious to see it without the rag on top. It looks like there are no cross supports but I hope I'm wrong. Don't want the thing to hold a pool of rain and rot through in the middle or be flapping wildly in the wind as you drive. Also, I was surprised that this is coming from Oregon. I thought the only thing out there was rain and trees and a rag-top is less effective than the OE top in both circumstances.

so... any topless pics? :rolleyes:

crash34.jpg

+1 for dead caR50 pic..

Its not my style but jesus, theres a lot of pissing and moaning about what this guy did.

Comes down too two simples things,

Is this your truck that you(the people bs'ing) own and or paid for? No? So whats the point of saying anything other then too prove how big a dick you are.

And number two is this, If you dont like it dont say anything about it (I should take this advice often but I personaly dont)

I've personally ridden in a geo metro with no top,windshield or anything. I've also owned a 59 cj5 with a factory roll bar and buick 6 popper(Ithink 59 I didnt have a title) Where they safe, hell no, did they drive down the road just fine,yep.

Well thats my .02

Getting back on topic.... I'd be curious to see it without the rag on top. It looks like there are no cross supports but I hope I'm wrong. Don't want the thing to hold a pool of rain and rot through in the middle or be flapping wildly in the wind as you drive. Also, I was surprised that this is coming from Oregon. I thought the only thing out there was rain and trees and a rag-top is less effective than the OE top in both circumstances.

so... any topless pics? :rolleyes:

yeah, it has the same 2x4 steel across the top of the front and middle pillars. I dont park it outside, so there wont be rain on it except for when I'm driving it. I drove it a few miles last night, BRRRR! and the think flaps a lil, sounds like a deep fryer as it slaps the tops of the flat cross beams. poppity pop pop pop!

I think some people missed the other thread where I showed the cages progress. I said the cage was "almost done" it's NOT done. theres always room for improvement. even once I think its done, Ill still prolly wanna add to it here and there. the SHAPE is done, thats about it. were adding cross supports to the floor with plates at the frame mounts and side to side supports that will double as grab bars for rear-seat passengers and somewhere to put the 5-point harness.

hope that clears things up. thanks!

funny thing is no one bashed me when it had no roof at all! we posted the video of mud bogging and stuff, during the build, "wow, cool, neat, I want one!" etc... then I START building a cage and every other wanna-be welder comes out of the woodwork telling me what a crappy person I am.lol. go figure.

• Like 1

Theres no need to say if the cage is nearly done or not, the fact is there are premade cages out there that bolt too the floor board of car/trucks. Theres also the whole roll bar thing that are for show.

But the funny thing is, look at 69-75 chevy blazers, they had a roll bar over the rear that could be ordered with the truck, it didnt need to come with it, so the only thing protecting the driver was a topper(in some cases not even that)

Ends rant.

yeah, it has the same 2x4 steel across the top of the front and middle pillars. I dont park it outside, so there wont be rain on it except for when I'm driving it. I drove it a few miles last night, BRRRR! and the think flaps a lil, sounds like a deep fryer as it slaps the tops of the flat cross beams. poppity pop pop pop!

I think some people missed the other thread where I showed the cages progress. I said the cage was "almost done" it's NOT done. theres always room for improvement. even once I think its done, Ill still prolly wanna add to it here and there. the SHAPE is done, thats about it. were adding cross supports to the floor with plates at the frame mounts and side to side supports that will double as grab bars for rear-seat passengers and somewhere to put the 5-point harness.

hope that clears things up. thanks!

funny thing is no one bashed me when it had no roof at all! we posted the video of mud bogging and stuff, during the build, "wow, cool, neat, I want one!" etc... then I START building a cage and every other wanna-be welder comes out of the woodwork telling me what a crappy person I am.lol. go figure.

Wanna be welder :thumbsdown: , homie im a professional welder it is what i do each and every day, i can weld circles around you and your welding. Don't pick a fight you can't win. And i was trying to let you know previously, that the 2x4 metal will not hold up. I hope you take this into consideration, and redo the cage. Like i said, you want a cage to last and hold up it has to be done out of DOM Tubing, anything less like HREW or gas piping will not hold up. I am sorry i sound like an ass, but trust me i know from experience. I have the DOM Cage interior cage done on my pathfinder hidden into the headliner, and pillars. I know it will hold. Please redo the cage.

• Like 1

Dude if you have nothing to say other than emoticons to imply that you don't' agree then don't post at all.

It wasn't implying anything, and I was in no way starting anything. I was pretty much hinting at "Jeebus, let it go already. Be the bigger man and walk away. Internet arguing is beyond pathetic. :thumbsdown:" as tek put it.

The same can be said for the person who feels the need to comment on someone's post needlessly ;)

The only portion that I was commenting on, was;

"funny thing is no one bashed me when it had no roof at all! we posted the video of mud bogging and stuff, during the build, "wow, cool, neat, I want one!" etc... then I START building a cage and every other wanna-be welder comes out of the woodwork telling me what a crappy person I am.lol. go figure."

all I was saying is that its not even worth bringing up, especially when mods had already said to stop the bickering. It was expressing my distaste for the entire situation of arguing.

In my first post on the first page, I wasn't harassing about the cage, or saying anything out of line. I know when I was building my sliders/bumper I was looking for ideas on how to make them better/stronger, and a little criticism among fellow wheelers is anything but bad, I pointed out what I saw as a possible weakness, and a possible way of correcting. What people do with their trucks is their own business, but if someone posts it up on here, they should be ready for people to dislike it, and critique it, that's what forums are all about. I'm not going to bash someone's work, but I will give them another point of view on things, to try and help em to improve, for all I know, the OP just hadn't thought about it that way (so to speak).

I didn't realize that there was an approved way to post on this board, of which does not include emoticons.

:rolleyes:

Edited by OldSlowReliable

someone should call Vsicks to come visit this thread. IF all you people want to do it bitch and fight, take it elsewhere. Personally, I'm not a fan of the build (I still like windows and such to keep the cold/wet out) but I give credit to someone who has the balls to take a sawzall to his pathy and turn it into a project vehicle. I'm an engineer so I tend to look a bit more critically at design etc which is why I asked about cross supports etc. If he had none, I would have a good (in my opinion) suggestion for a design that would be fairly easy to implement and would take care of any pooling or flapping. That's the point of NPORA, to share information and suggestions for the betterment of our pathfinder family. You guys sound like my kids with your bickering. sheesh. [/soapbox]

I adgree, when it first started I was in it for a little bitch fight but now its anoyying.

-My welds are better then your welds

-No there not, I'm a proffesional!

-Oh, yeah, well there still better then yours!!

Well to tell you the truth, my welds are better then all of yours and my Daddy can beat up your Daddy!!

Don't mind Nunya he gets crotchety once in a while,

I've seen a few "convertible" pathfinders since I've been a member on here, everyone does things there own way and has an opinion on how it was done or should be done, it's good to explore new things as you have done. I personally don't like how it looks but I won't bash what you've done or how you did it. As previously has been said to each his own.

not to :deadhorse: but when i was over at fullsize bronco forum their was quite a a bit of back biting,which truely sadden me. and when i got my pathy and started here i was truelly impressed by the way you gentlemen conduct your selves and are invested in helping us newbies even when i put my builds up i expect the whole gambit of opinions. just remember even a counter opininon comes from some one who cared enough to read your words and try and make your rig stronger with their experience :itsallgood: viva la pathy

• Like 1

sorry precise just figured cool things down then get back to help big daddy with his project. interesting design by the way i would have gone a different route like full cage run to winshield then custom rag top but hey props for trying something diff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats so BA man- taking a plan and putting it into action .

Going from cutting the roof off adding tubing and adding rag a top

takes some big gonads . Got to admire the time you put into it :clap:

Hope it handles the way you want it to on the dunes .

Edited by WiredWrong