So, I own a graphics and sign shop here, and an Upholstery guy cam in needing business cards and some other stuff, so I traded his services for mine. SWEET!

I chopped the whole roof off my 95 pathfinder and built a cage in its place, but in oregon it rains a lot, and was tired of getting soaked at speeds under 25mph.

I had steve build me this rag top for the pathy. freaking sweet. i can unsnap it and roll it up to the front and slide it out of the channel or whatever I like. I think it really finishes it off.

now for paint, right?

0301111539-03.jpg

0301111539-02.jpg

0301111539-00.jpg

0301111538-00.jpg

• Like 1

dam dude, coulda taken 10 minutes to remove/tape stuff off instead of overspraying the eff outa stuff. No offence but it looks like your using the term cage loosly...

personally for the top I woulda went for more a over the passanger area roof with a pickup lookin back or maby even go for a notchback look. As long as your happy though

• Like 2

dam dude, coulda taken 10 minutes to remove/tape stuff off instead of overspraying the eff outa stuff. No offence but it looks like your using the term cage loosly...

personally for the top I woulda went for more a over the passanger area roof with a pickup lookin back or maby even go for a notchback look. As long as your happy though

that's why you have your OWN pathfinder to do with as YOU please. lol everythings getting painted, dont worry about it. and PSSSST.... I'm not building a show truck.

• Like 2

I know the whole to each their own thing :aok: I read "cage" I think roll protection, not homemade pillars mounted to the top of the sheetmetal, and my opinions are just that MY opinions. Everyone has em and they ain't all gonna be the same or what everyone wants to hear. As I said, no offense meant and YOU gotta like it, not anyone else. Just keep enjoying your project there bud

• Like 2

if "home made pillars" equals 2x4 .120 wall steel then, ok. the top halo is 2" tube, and across the tops of each "home made pillar" is more of the 2x4 steel.

its "mounted to the sheet metal" via laser cut and formed caps over the pillars, made of 1/4" plate steel and welded all the way around as well as up any seams. I'm pretty confident that it's stronger than the stock roof.

I didn't think a post about the new rag top was going to turn into a pissing match over the roll bar.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. just like everyone has the right to come off to a newbie as a total asshole. that's your right, and you exercised it.

• Like 2

if "home made pillars" equals 2x4 .120 wall steel then, ok. the top halo is 2" tube, and across the tops of each "home made pillar" is more of the 2x4 steel.

its "mounted to the sheet metal" via laser cut and formed caps over the pillars, made of 1/4" plate steel and welded all the way around as well as up any seams. I'm pretty confident that it's stronger than the stock roof.

I didn't think a post about the new rag top was going to turn into a pissing match over the roll bar.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. just like everyone has the right to come off to a newbie as a total asshole. that's your right, and you exercised it.

dude i give you a moderate flop, not even a roll and the "Cage" will be crunched. Do it right, cut all the crap you put on it off, and build it right or don't build it at all. Youo most likely made it out of HREW Tubing and that's not going to hold up. I just finished my interior cage, 2" .250 wall DOM Tubing, like i said do it once and do it right so you can have fun, otherwise, don't do it at all

• Like 2

dude i give you a moderate flop, not even a roll and the "Cage" will be crunched. Do it right, cut all the crap you put on it off, and build it right or don't build it at all. Youo most likely made it out of HREW Tubing and that's not going to hold up. I just finished my interior cage, 2" .250 wall DOM Tubing, like i said do it once and do it right so you can have fun, otherwise, don't do it at all

well, so much for any positive comments. see ya later. other people are right, this board is full of a bunch of assholes.

• Like 3

What should be said is..."To each thier own". I actually like the top. Roll back part of it for just the front seats or all seats(it does tie down doesnt it?). As for the cage, well, as long as you are sure its strong and will protect you, thats all that matters. Its nice to see something different done, thats for sure. You could be running on 20's lowered to the ground. Anyway, it reminds me of a rig exploring Africa or something. What ya going to do for paint?

Oh, not all of us are arseholes. Let a few more people ring in before you get carried away. And Nunya painted his rig pink! No one else has?wants that! :tongue:

• Like 3

What should be said is..."To each thier own". I actually like the top. Roll back part of it for just the front seats or all seats(it does tie down doesnt it?). As for the cage, well, as long as you are sure its strong and will protect you, thats all that matters. Its nice to see something different done, thats for sure. You could be running on 20's lowered to the ground. Anyway, it reminds me of a rig exploring Africa or something. What ya going to do for paint?

Oh, not all of us are arseholes. Let a few more people ring in before you get carried away. And Nunya painted his rig pink! No one else has?wants that! :tongue:

it snaps on, and the front slides into a channel. so you can roll it up and slide it out of the channel if you want it off of there. I was going to have the guy incorporate buckles up front so it could roll up without having to be slid out of the channel, but forgot to mention that. I hadnt really considered just having the front and middle seats just covered n stuff, but its possible, theres snaps every 6 inches along the way, just have to clamp the vinyl top or something.

as for the negative comments, eh, whatever. I dont care. If you can judge these welds, or the structural integrity of this setup through pictures, then you have some serious talent.

dude painted his pathfinder pink and is flicking me @!*%? wow. ok. For someone with some unconventional ideas of his own, I wouldnt got bashing others. lol

• Like 2

it snaps on, and the front slides into a channel. so you can roll it up and slide it out of the channel if you want it off of there. I was going to have the guy incorporate buckles up front so it could roll up without having to be slid out of the channel, but forgot to mention that. I hadnt really considered just having the front and middle seats just covered n stuff, but its possible, theres snaps every 6 inches along the way, just have to clamp the vinyl top or something.

as for the negative comments, eh, whatever. I dont care. If you can judge these welds, or the structural integrity of this setup through pictures, then you have some serious talent.

dude painted his pathfinder pink and is flicking me @!*%? wow. ok. For someone with some unconventional ideas of his own, I wouldnt got bashing others. lol

Dude i do have talent when welding, you will not be safe when you are riding in the vehicle, i have even asked some freinds of mine and all they say is when you do flop it, hopefully the only person in it is you, so no one else gets hurt. You are the tard that welded stright to the A-Pillar of the truck, that has no structural integrity now that there is no roof on the vehicle. you will not last on flop with that so called cage. You did not homework when doing this, you can't weld and you honstly from the looks of it shouldn't be driving... if you make something that is that bad, then you have no business behind the wheel of any vehicle.,

• Like 2

Well, its the internet. Its hard to do just about anything but whine or complain without actually being there. Maybe a few shots of how you supported everthing might help others understand what you did.

Nunya is a good guy, dont judge him by the paint. Judge him by his spelling(unless he is using spellcheck)! :lol:

Have you made a build thread yet? Beats making new threads all the time. Still, what you gonna do for paint?

• Like 1

Diude, please quote me where I was "flicking you shtuff" and was "being an azzhole". I stated my opinion, even said "to each their own", a little constructive criticism (which if you can't handle I suggest never showing ANYONE pictures of ANYTHING your proud of. Especially on the internet) and made some observations. Yes I said "homemade" but YOU assumed I MUST have meant shoddy or half-azzed. Where did I say that? Plenty of stuff around here is homemade and pretty badazz at that. If I wanted to pick your truck apart, trust me it would have shown. Yes I DID say something about the quick and dirty primer job and my apologies since it seems to have really hurt your feelings.

Yes I painted stuff pink on my truck too, and welcome ANY comments good or bad to ANYTHING I ever do to my truck, hence the reason I made a build thread and share my truck with this fine community as do many others here.

Once again though my apologies for being a big meanie.

• Like 2

*Yawn* who wants to get a cup full of piss? I mean awsome yellow necture, its good, I will ship...

In other thoughts whats up with the sheet metal/maybe plywood door trim panels? I see the one in the back with a speaker in it. Is that one attached or just propped in place?

Edited by nismothunder

Two things.

1) Big words coming from a guy with .com in his username ;)

2) Noone's bashing, I too am a little concerned with your cage design, specifically because I remembered you having small children riding in the vehicle on a vid you posted (atleast I think that was you)

3) The cage isn't bad, and with a little triangulation it would be fairly good, but the way you have them welded to the existing body metal is not a safe way of doing it, that metal/roof was INTENDED to crumple in a fashion that would serve to satisfy regulations. The second you change that design, the way it crumples is going to be altered, so now if you roll, that nicely built cage is just going to be squashed down to the framerails...

4) Although the only final way to identify a good weld is to get an xray/ultrasound of the weld, the general image of the bead is a decent method of evaluating the integrity. A good weld almost always looks good, and a bad weld almost always looks bad ;)

Edited by OldSlowReliable
  • Like 1

Where did the guy get the channel for your top? I've been looking for some for mt 88 chop top plan, and can't find anything.

I dunno where The upholsterer got it. He does a lot of boat tops, might check with those supply houses. Ill show a close up of the parts.

theres two parts, a long channel thats riveted to the roof, and a long bead that the fabric is sewn to. the bead slides into the channel. pretty sweet application.

• Like 1

What ya going to do for paint?

Still, what you gonna do for paint?

Dunno yet. nothing fancy, might bust out the airbrush and just play around. I'm obviously not trying to win any car shows, or trying to impress anyone. so just something I'll have fun doing.

*Yawn* who wants to get a cup full of piss? I mean awsome yellow necture, its good, I will ship...

In other thoughts whats up with the sheet metal/maybe plywood door trim panels? I see the one in the back with a speaker in it. Is that one attached or just propped in place?

the interior panels are a material called Alupanel. it's a sandwich of aluminum, with expanded PVC in the middle. Its used as a rigid substrate for signs. I used the stock door panels to get the shape for those panels. the rear panels arent as easy. they arent flat like the doors, and its all weird shapes. the bottoms of the rear panels are ok, but the tops still need trimmed up to be even with the side rails. I made a cardboard template and it was close enough to quit for the day, then I never got back to it. I need to draw new lines and trim the panels up. then again I might start over once I get them cut to the right shape, cuz the speaker holes are a little off too.

• Like 1

I dunno where The upholsterer got it. He does a lot of boat tops, might check with those supply houses. Ill show a close up of the parts.

theres two parts, a long channel thats riveted to the roof, and a long bead that the fabric is sewn to. the bead slides into the channel. pretty sweet application.

I know how it works, same as an old Jeep soft top. The piping (bead) is easy to find, I just can't find the channel.

Dude chops his top and wants to show off his work and all that comes out is a bunch of pissing and moaning about it. It's not my style, but seriously, get a f-ing life. It's not like the original sheet metal is going to protect you in a serious rollover anyway.

crash34.jpg

pathfinder001.jpg