Adding a turbo/intercooler to my '95 Pathfinder

2milehi

I recieved a lot of criticism and bad advice when I first started working on my turbo project. A lot of people said it was not physically even possible to install vg30dett. Now after a lot of hard work I am pretty close to being done. Everything is bolted in and I am running the wiring right now.

Not to get off-topic here, but the comments about people who said something like this cant be done, are a bit misunderstood. As with modifing anythign on our rigs, or other rigs for that matter, some things are just flat out not a "bolt on" item. There are a lot of members here who may not have the mechanical skill to perform such tasks. Some believe engine swaps, turbo add-ons, SAS jobs are simple bolt-on upgrades, when they are not. If you have the time, money and skill, anything can be done.

Not to get off-topic here, but the comments about people who said something like this cant be done, are a bit misunderstood. As with modifing anythign on our rigs, or other rigs for that matter, some things are just flat out not a "bolt on" item. There are a lot of members here who may not have the mechanical skill to perform such tasks. Some believe engine swaps, turbo add-ons, SAS jobs are simple bolt-on upgrades, when they are not. If you have the time, money and skill, anything can be done.

Then those people shouldn't be so quick to state "It can't be done". I have heard the same thing over at the Subaru community. There are a small number of us who added a WRX turbo/intercooler to a stock Subie, but there are many who bag on the new guys asking turbo install questions with a "You need to swap a WRX engine, not just the turbo, it won't work". And they don't expand upon it.

This pic ususlly shuts the non-believers up.

DSCN1309.jpg

This is for the new ECU. I am added a MegaSquirt to replace the factory ECU. The MS will allow me to tune the fuel maps with a laptop, control ignition, and add a boost controller. This will allow me to use a Ford's Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS). The EDIS can be controlled by the MS to give variable timing advance. There is even a fail-safe built into the EDIS. All the module needs is the VR signal and the EDIS will work giving you 10 º BTDC timing.

This is essentially what I am addign in.

EDIS_system.gif

Added the 36-1 trigger wheel and VR pick-up. Trigger wheel welded to the bigger pulleys. Every third tooth is tack welded.

IMGP2454.jpg

Looking up at pick-up and trigger wheel

IMGP2457.jpg

Close-up of pick-up looking down

IMGP2458.jpg

Edited by 2milehi

Added the 36-1 trigger wheel and VR pick-up.

Trigger wheel welded to the bigger pulleys. Every third tooth is tack welded.

IMGP2454.jpg

Looking up at pick-up and trigger wheel

IMGP2457.jpg

Close-up of pick-up looking down

IMGP2458.jpg

for those of us who are drooling at this project but not all that familiar with turbos what is this for?

Looked at one of your other posts. Is this for replacing your distributor with a coil pack and edis module? I am assuming it makes it easier to use with a megasquirt? Am I correct?

Edited by ejin4499

for those of us who are drooling at this project but not all that familiar with turbos what is this for?

Looked at one of your other posts. Is this for replacing your distributor with a coil pack and edis module? I am assuming it makes it easier to use with a megasquirt? Am I correct?

Exactly and I should have clarified that. I wanted to post a separate topic with my MegaSquirt build but I was asked to keep all of my "improvements" in a single topic. So I treat this like a build journal.

I will distinguish what I am doing in future posts.

Exactly and I should have clarified that. I wanted to post a separate topic with my MegaSquirt build but I was asked to keep all of my "improvements" in a single topic. So I treat this like a build journal.

I will distinguish what I am doing in future posts.

So you must not have a visual smog inspection way up there in colorado??

There is emissions testing in the metro Denver area. I live 70 miles from Denver and there is no emissions test.

More progress - I welded some mounting tabs onto the EDIS coil pack.

IMGP2463.jpg

HOT DAMN! So I wired up the EDIS to the cam sensor plug, landed the spark plugs wires to the correct ignition terminal, gave 12 volts and a ground to the EDIS, plugged in my MS/ECU interface, and it started on the first try. I am wearing a grin ear to ear.

Ignition advance works like it should and it is pig rich right now. I will straighten out the wiring, add a GM IAT sensor, calibrate the CTS. The hard part is over! On to tuning...

icon_yay.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Some updated pics. I added the MAT sensor, the BOV, and air intake/filter.

IMGP2475.jpg

The wiring is mostly complete as well as intercooler ducting

IMGP2471.jpg

IMGP2472.jpg

IMGP2474.jpg

And the brains behind the whole operation. Once done tuning I will remove the wires for the wide band controller and install the rest of the covers over the ECU.

IMGP2476.jpg

Edited by 2milehi
  • Like 1

So did some tuning and my injectors are at 80% duty cycle at 5500 RPM and 7 PSI boost. No point to tune for higher boost until I get bigger injectors and a Walbro pump installed.

So did some tuning and my injectors are at 80% duty cycle at 5500 RPM and 7 PSI boost. No point to tune for higher boost until I get bigger injectors and a Walbro pump installed.

can you briefly explain how you find these numbers (80%) ??

can you briefly explain how you find these numbers (80%) ??

The tuning software that come with MegaSquirt can log data. So I go to a captured log and look for a max value and find that my duty cycle for the injectors is at 80%. I will post a screen shot later.

It is a pretty cool program.

Nissan.png

Edited by 2milehi

I was wondering. Since your trying to make so much power with boost and you obviuously know your way around a engine have you considered building up a vg33 to replace your vg30? I just got done with that swap along with the auto to manual. It makes a huge difference in how much power the beasty has. I'm running around at sea level so I have now idea how well it would work as high up as you are but its a way to start off with a lot more umph. just a curious.

regards