New From SLC, UT

SRN

Greetings all!

I just picked up a 1995 WD21 today and thought that I would introduce myself. My name is Stephen and I'm from Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm new to Nissan (sorta, I have a Datsun 510 project) and Pathfinders, but not to the 4-wheeling world. I've owned a 1986 Suzuki Samurai for 12 years and love it. But thats not what I'm here for. ;)

My desire to go on longer camping/overland/expedition style trips with greater comfort and ease and my wife's even stronger desire to not ride in the Samurai whenever possible led us to start looking at larger SUV's. I've always been fond of Nissan and the Pathfinder in particular but figured that my wife would not be interested in older WD21 Pathy's, so I never even brought them up and just focused on R50's. Imagine my surprise when my wife told me she preferred the look of WD21!

So the hunt was on and this is what we found:

A 1995 XE

threequarter.jpg

Passanger.jpg

Back.jpg

The best thing about this vehicle is how clean it is. Only 102,000 miles! No rust anywhere on the body or frame and immaculate interior!

The future will not bring much for it. Ditching the brush guard and chrome wheels ASAP. Probably try to find some older Pathfinder 15" "Lego" wheels and throw some 31" MT's on them. I'd like to find a factory Limited Slip for the rear. But I'm not going to hold out any real hope for that so probably an ARB one day. And thats about it.

This is the biggest vehicle I've ever owned (Samurai, Rabbit, Jetta, Camry, 510, Miata), so it's going to take a little getting used to both on and off the trail. But I cannot wait to get it on the dirt!

NPORA has been a great help to me while I've been searching for Pathfinders, and I'm glad to be finally 'part' of the community!

Welcome Stephen, that's a good looking truck!! Same color as mine and 3000 miles less on the clock... ;)

Yep, the 'brush guard' is generally known as a damage amplifier so the best bet it to reinforce the stock bumper or go aftermarket. Factory LSD is more common that you think, check your local wrecker. Remember though, you need an open diff to install a locker, so if that is your ultimate plan, keep the old one... ;)

As for big, Ha!! These are just the right sized!! :D

B

Welcome Stephen, that's a good looking truck!! Same color as mine and 3000 miles less on the clock... ;)

Yep, the 'brush guard' is generally known as a damage amplifier so the best bet it to reinforce the stock bumper or go aftermarket. Factory LSD is more common that you think, check your local wrecker. Remember though, you need an open diff to install a locker, so if that is your ultimate plan, keep the old one... ;)

As for big, Ha!! These are just the right sized!! :D

B

Thanks! I definitely need to hit up the self service yards around here to look for an LSD then. I understand there is a sticker on them, is that correct.

Big is relative I suppose. Still, super stoked!

hello and welcome! you should have no problem finding an LSD..... its the open diffs some of us are after and having trouble finding. all 4 of my Pathy's had LSD :huh: (and i wanted OPEN for my wheeler)

if your pathy is an auto, i recommend an aftermarket trans cooler install be your first install.

yes, the factory steelies are kinda fugly. If you can't find a set of leggo's local, you can get a set of black rock crawler rims for under $200 from places like 4 wheel parts or hit our member steveO up at his company rugged rocks off road & communication, he can help you too.

there is a review thread with all kinds of different tire reviews in it, so that may help you decide on what type of tires your pathy will excel with.

enjoy!!! :beer:

hello and welcome! you should have no problem finding an LSD..... its the open diffs some of us are after and having trouble finding. all 4 of my Pathy's had LSD :huh: (and i wanted OPEN for my wheeler)

if your pathy is an auto, i recommend an aftermarket trans cooler install be your first install.

yes, the factory steelies are kinda fugly. If you can't find a set of leggo's local, you can get a set of black rock crawler rims for under $200 from places like 4 wheel parts or hit our member steveO up at his company rugged rocks off road & communication, he can help you too.

there is a review thread with all kinds of different tire reviews in it, so that may help you decide on what type of tires your pathy will excel with.

enjoy!!! :beer:

Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot about the transmission cooler and have been digging around on NPORA to find info about that. But I suppose I can just ask here as well. Got a recommendation about what type/brand of aftermarket cooler I should be looking at and where to get it?

Edited by SRN

Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot about the transmission cooler and have been digging around on NPORA to find info about that. But I suppose I can just ask here as well. Got a recommendation about what type/brand of aftermarket cooler I should be looking at and where to get it?

i used to work for u haul, so i got my 18000gvw cooler... uhm...free..... but, like i said in the other newcomers thread, they can be had almost anywhere.... summit racing, local parts stores, most 4 wheel drive shops, etc.

Thanks for all the warm greetings guys! I stripped brush guard and rack off this week and it looks 100% better. Today or tomorrow I'm going to be replacing all the fluids except the ATF, which will wait until next weekend when I install the new tranny fluid cooler. Will also be checking the height of everything and probably leveling out the front end. NPORA is a wealth of information! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the warm greetings guys! I stripped brush guard and rack off this week and it looks 100% better. Today or tomorrow I'm going to be replacing all the fluids except the ATF, which will wait until next weekend when I install the new tranny fluid cooler. Will also be checking the height of everything and probably leveling out the front end. NPORA is a wealth of information! Keep up the good work!

:aok: sounds like you're all over it! good job!

Greetings all!

I just picked up a 1995 WD21 today and thought that I would introduce myself. My name is Stephen and I'm from Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm new to Nissan (sorta, I have a Datsun 510 project) and Pathfinders, but not to the 4-wheeling world. I've owned a 1986 Suzuki Samurai for 12 years and love it. But thats not what I'm here for. ;)

My desire to go on longer camping/overland/expedition style trips with greater comfort and ease and my wife's even stronger desire to not ride in the Samurai whenever possible led us to start looking at larger SUV's. I've always been fond of Nissan and the Pathfinder in particular but figured that my wife would not be interested in older WD21 Pathy's, so I never even brought them up and just focused on R50's. Imagine my surprise when my wife told me she preferred the look of WD21!

So the hunt was on and this is what we found:

A 1995 XE

threequarter.jpg

Passanger.jpg

Back.jpg

The best thing about this vehicle is how clean it is. Only 102,000 miles! No rust anywhere on the body or frame and immaculate interior!

The future will not bring much for it. Ditching the brush guard and chrome wheels ASAP. Probably try to find some older Pathfinder 15" "Lego" wheels and throw some 31" MT's on them. I'd like to find a factory Limited Slip for the rear. But I'm not going to hold out any real hope for that so probably an ARB one day. And thats about it.

This is the biggest vehicle I've ever owned (Samurai, Rabbit, Jetta, Camry, 510, Miata), so it's going to take a little getting used to both on and off the trail. But I cannot wait to get it on the dirt!

NPORA has been a great help to me while I've been searching for Pathfinders, and I'm glad to be finally 'part' of the community!

[/quote

Hey nice looking pathy man! Finally people from utah are popping up! where in sl are you located at?

Hey nice looking pathy man! Finally people from utah are popping up! where in sl are you located at?

I'm in the Foothill area of SLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, found them on KSL. I'd like to find one more to put on the spare. I fear I'll pay just as much for one as I did for all fou of these though. Oh well.

They are in great shape, now I just need some tires to put on them.

Yep, found them on KSL. I'd like to find one more to put on the spare. I fear I'll pay just as much for one as I did for all fou of these though. Oh well.

They are in great shape, now I just need some tires to put on them.

Haha nice! You gotta love ksl! You could try the JY, I go to TearApart auto on 652s on redwood. You can try there I know they usually have a lot of nissans laying there. If not, just keep on ksl, you will find one eventually.

Yeah, I usually make the junkyard rounds. Tear A Part, Pull and Save, Pick N Pull. Haven't seen any legos out there recently though.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah seriously! It goes from 60 back to snow, to more snow, and rain, then more snow.. :suicide:

But looks like fun with all the new stuff!

The weather is driving me crazy! Nice weather during the week when I don't have much time after I get home. Then crap for the weekends. ARGH!!!

I can't wait to get them on, but all the free time I've had thus far has been going into getting my Miata prepped for a cross country road trip in a few weeks, so the Pathy probably won't get anything down to it until I get back. Both good and bad I suppose.