RPM, Engine check, Lose power

Luchios

Running a 95 Pathy LE, after driving for a couple kms, the truck will jolt (like stalling the car) and the engine check light will come on, RPMs idle at 1500, and noticeably great power is lost. Problem started the other day when -35 C, now it happens intermittently. The other day it actually stalled while driving down the road (from perfectly fine running conditions), had to pull over turn it off and on a couple of times until back to normal.

I also ran a ECU check and found code 55, no malfunction

Anybody have any ideas?

Possibly fuel injectors or frozen fuel line?

Edited by Luchios

When you first start up the engine ignores all the sensor readings from the engine etc. After warming up it starts using those to control fuel mixture etc. So perhaps you have a dead sensor. Ideas that come to mind: O2 sensor, MAF, coolant temp (not the one for the gauge on the dash), knock sensor...

When you first start up the engine ignores all the sensor readings from the engine etc. After warming up it starts using those to control fuel mixture etc. So perhaps you have a dead sensor. Ideas that come to mind: O2 sensor, MAF, coolant temp (not the one for the gauge on the dash), knock sensor...

I let it run for a bit, no read out again. How warm should it be? Its pretty cold outside I don't want to leave it running forever, today the engine check light is now blinking but idling at normal.

I'm no expert with the check engine light and trouble codes, but unfortunately it seems that sometimes despite bad sensor readings you don't get a trouble code. Maybe someone else will have more info on this. It does sound somewhat annoying and against the point of the whole trouble code system.

Though, now that I think about it, I thought that the check engine light essentially meant that you had a trouble code, so I'm confused :)

Edited by sewebster

Update on Pathy.

I did check the trouble codes after warming the car, I don't think I am doing anything wrong when I check them but code 55 is still showing.

One new problem now is that the car's battery gets drained every day and I have to boost it anytime I turn the car off.

Is it possible that the battery and/or the alternator have stopped working? Maybe linked to and the source of the first problem?

I have yet to test them, I will do tomorrow and post update

Edited by Luchios

I am literally going through this right now. Garage told me it was my 02 sensor and are fixing that for me since my truck isn't in the same city as me right now. I was losing power then the cel would turn off and I would have power back. The problem sounds very similar to yours; however the dead battery does not. Possible there are two issues, but I will let you know when I get the truck back this weekend if my problem is fixed, hopefully that helps?

• Like 1

I am literally going through this right now. Garage told me it was my 02 sensor and are fixing that for me since my truck isn't in the same city as me right now. I was losing power then the cel would turn off and I would have power back. The problem sounds very similar to yours; however the dead battery does not. Possible there are two issues, but I will let you know when I get the truck back this weekend if my problem is fixed, hopefully that helps?

I was suspecting the o2 sensor as well but now that the battery is going I'm not sure if they are linked or not, maybe one causing the other? I have to check my battery issues and I will post back. Thanks for the input, glad someone else is having the same problems haha

Replaced the battery, actually starts now. However, the same problem occurs, I just havn't had it happen as frequently. I think it may be temperature factored because now it is +5 outside and I have had it happen only once.