Gun laws and Sons of guns?

Channel595

Why does it seem like every gun law is a "grey" area? After watching sons of guns on discovery and seeing them making silencers and using tracer rounds, which i thought were illegal in all 50 states... and then i found this site and read the first paragraph in big red letters, now im all confused.

Gun laws are mostly dictated by state law. Make sure you know those of your own state. Read the legislation yourself (both state and federal) so that you have a clear understanding of how your rights are affected. I.E.: taking a gun across state lines is not a federal crime and the federal government requires no FFL paperwork (for most guns) but you may be going to a state that does require FFL transfers. Be educated, know your rights and shoot safe.

Tracer rounds are legal. I can't see a non military purpose for them other than a light show at night unless you are a really bad aim. Tracers were designed for machine guns so that the operator didn't have to aim. Every fifth round loaded is a tracer. Building your own silencer is illegal in any state.

James

Yeah its all down to permits and state regs. In AZ for example you can buy real silencers if you have the correct license and want to pay about 3 grand to buy it. Thereafter I believe you have to pay a hefty fee (in the thousands I have heard) per year to keep your permits up to date.

Red Jacket Firearms is a fully licensed Gunshop. They can build suppressors and firearms. They have been doing so for many years. They were very well know for building AKs from parts kits. Plus down in the south I can't see the gun laws being as tight as the rest of the country :)

Also, as long as you have the required $200 tax stamp you can build your own suppressor(read 1/$200 stamp). You just have to put a serial number on it, which is usually the stamp you get.

Edited by SilverPath

A person used to be able to build his own suppressor before they changed the laws in 1986. You could build your own machine gun too as long as you file the correct paper work, got approval and paid the $200 tax. The tax was set at $200 back in the 1930s when no one could afford that price. Now the price isn't bad its just the waiting on the ATF thats a pain in the butt. Also you are giving ATF permission to come search you home anytime they want to make sure you are storing it properly. It would be cool to have a suppressor or machine gun, but I'll just stick to bump firing instead of dealing with ATF.

Just think, before the law was passed in the 1930s anyone could walk into a store and buy a machine gun just like buying a can of pees. I wonder why the country was a lot safer place to live back then?

A individual can still build his own firearm as long as it is legal for him to own the type of gun he is building. You are advised to add a serial number to it but are not required. The only stipulation is that this firearm is for personal use only it can not be sold and must be destroyed if you want to get rid of it. It legally can't be passed on to your kids when you die. To build and sell you need a manufactures license.

James

Just think, before the law was passed in the 1930s anyone could walk into a store and buy a machine gun just like buying a can of pees. I wonder why the country was a lot safer place to live back then?

Yeah, what is safer than a society whose police is corrupted and mostly absent of the streets and where anyone

can walk into a store buying a mass killing weapon. Seriuosly these permits they ask for makes for a safer society

in my view

Yeah, what is safer than a society whose police is corrupted and mostly absent of the streets and where anyone

can walk into a store buying a mass killing weapon. Seriuosly these permits they ask for makes for a safer society

in my view

Not to start any problems but,

I fail to see how these permits make us safe?

These permits are only there for people who follow the rules and are responsible gun owners. Plus after you have the permit anyway you are looking at a bill from 5k-100+k just for the dang gun.

Convicts don't follow these laws and never will, you know how easy it is to convert most any gun to FA and for dirt cheap?

A little filling in certain areas or adding a little material and bam A Full auto. That is untraceable. Plus you have the black market where buying heavy weapons is just as easy. Even if they take away our guns criminals will always find them. Gun laws only make sense to gun haters and politicians.

Anyone who passes the background check and can cough up $200 can own a suppressor. It's the same for a machine gun, but you must buy a pre-1986 gun that is transferable. Those will run you anywhere from $5000 for a beat up UZI, to $16,000 for a normal wear-and-tear MP5.

To own a machine gun built after 1986 requires a TON of paper work and can only be legally owned by police, govt agency, military or Class II manufacturer.

I plan on getting a suppressor for my AK to make coyote control at my cousin's farm a little less noisy for the animals and neighbors.

I plan on getting a suppressor for my AK to make coyote control at my cousin's farm a little less noisy for the animals and neighbors.

If you plan on snipping coyotes quietly you need a AR in 300 fireball. They are tack drivers with the right loads and can be silenced to where the shooter can hear the firing pin strike the cartridge. I really want a 300 fireball to add to my collection! One problem is no factory ammo, you would have to load your own.

James

If you plan on snipping coyotes quietly you need a AR in 300 fireball. They are tack drivers with the right loads and can be silenced to where the shooter can hear the firing pin strike the cartridge. I really want a 300 fireball to add to my collection! One problem is no factory ammo, you would have to load your own.

James

I loved my 243 Remington 700 and 80 grain FMGs hand loaded in 7.62 NATO match rounds necked down to 243 very little damage to the pelts

Edited by vagabond

news tonight in SC...removing the requirement for a CCW in general public...that's almost like texas

Uhhhh...what? That is nothing like Texas. Open carry is illegal and you must have a license to carry concealed.

I don't watch TV much. I just found out what "sons of guns" is about. It's a guy right here in Baton Rouge, La. He has a manufactures license so he can legally make silencers and machine guns. I need to watch this, does it play on Discovery or history channel? Now that I know he is that close I'm going to want to bring him my Saiga 12 and let him trick it out.

James

As someone said up there^^

Its mainly suppressor vs silencer....and the fact that they have all the licenses and such

Tracers are legal in alot of places AFAIK...there's a couple videos on youtube I saw a while ago of some guys shooting mini-propane tanks with them...interesting, dangerous, but pretty much the only purpose I can think of ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it seem like every gun law is a "grey" area? After watching sons of guns on discovery and seeing them making silencers and using tracer rounds, which i thought were illegal in all 50 states... and then i found this site and read the first paragraph in big red letters, now im all confused.

To answer the first question, probably because laws vary widely from state to state, and even county to county and city to city in states that do not have preemption. FWIW: Preemption is when a state does not allow localities to make their own gun laws, thus insuring all such laws are consistent throughout the state. The media is also very much to blame, more below. The paragraph in red you linked is pretty much a warning to go by the letter of the law when dealing in firearms as the BATFE agents' interpretation of said laws varies. As far as I know, the courts pretty much get it right.

In regards to "i thought were illegal in all 50 states"

I think a lot of people believe this, and that many things relating to guns are illegal that are, in fact, legal. This is why I think so many people are misinformed: There is a very strong anti-gun media bias in the United States. The mainstream media demonizes guns, their owners, and their use at every possible opportunity. They always report any incident of a criminal using a gun to hurt someone but never report when the good guys (other than cops) use one to save someone's life. Most Americans are spoon-fed this BS their entire lives so why would they think otherwise? The media also invents problems to bolster their ratings and push their anti-gun agenda. A great example is the term "Gun Show Loophole". There is no Gun Show Loophole and there has never been one. In most states individuals can buy and sell privately owned firearms without background checks or any paperwork at all. It's been this way since the first settlers landed in the New World. Why does it matter if you sell your rifle in your driveway or at a Gun Show? It doesn't. All firearms dealers have to do NICS checks on all sales regardless of where the sale takes place... but the media doesn't tell you that part. :rant2:

<rant off>

Something interesting I found about my own state;

We have legalized machine guns and what the feds consider machine guns, BUT for some reason this does NOT include suppressors, even though in the machine gun allowance suppressors are included. So we have one regulation that says they ARE legal, and one that says they are NOT, which infact makes them illegal to own in the long run. However, last I heard our congressman was working out just how to interpret everything, but never got back to anyone about it :deadhorse: