Winch ratings

sewebster

So presumably when I see a winch rated to 10000 lbs, what it means is it can exert 10000 lbs force when there is no cable on the spool, i.e. minimum spool diameter. As you pull more cable in, the force is going to go down linearly with spool radius right? So how much can you pull when you've got most of the cable wound up?

Does anyone do these calculations? Can't you build a winch that sound like it has a lot of power just by using a narrow spool? I find it hard to know what kind of winch or cable puller etc. that I might want by looking at these rating numbers...

Thats a pretty simple calculation you just need the measurement of the drum and of the spool when full. You would just use this equation: Drum Diameter/Full spool diameter X rating. So if you have a 3 in drum that goes to 4 in full spool your ending up with 7500 lb final pull on a 10000 lb rating. Easiest way to kick up your pull is use a snatch block and bring thcable back to your truck it doubles the pull but reduces the speed it pulls you out by half.

Edited by Desert89

Yup, some companies do post them. We just bought a winch here for use on pulling vehicles onto a goose-neck trailer. The company puts lots of info on specs on their website. Here is one for the winch we bought (a 9500lbs winch).

9500xssp.jpg

I would recommend hitting up the manufacturers website like Redpath88 suggested. You can likely download a manual on the winch you are interested in. The manual should list that info.

Edited by Northernpathy

Alright, thanks guys, it seems that I was thinking about it in the right way, and it's nice to know that decent manufacturers publish the info. I'm more just thinking about it right now. At the moment I don't have anywhere decent to mount a winch and don't want to spend much money doing it. I wonder if I should buy some hand operated device in case I get stuck alone some time... they seem to be rated in a similar way. Probably you can buy a half decent winch for the cost of a half decent puller, but then you need a half-decent bumper :)

You could use a hi-lift (aka a manual winch) to pull you out. It won't be fast, but better slow and steady then staying stuck somewhere. A hi-lift is reasonably cheap too at about $100.

Not pulling a pathy in this video, but it is at least a Nissan ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldBPnzohtI

Here is someone using something similar, but a hi-lift will do the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UzX3F4Oygw

I will tell you that the M8000 Warn winch that I added to my Pathfinder last year has really disappointed me more than once. In November it completely stalled while pulling a smaller new Mercedes out of a muddy yard. There was an incline, but I had to use the Pathfinder to get the car up most of that. I even doubled the line back that should have supposedly given me 16000 pounds of pulling power, but there was no way that car weighed that much and the winch stalled. It is installed correctly and I even upgraded the battery just for the winch when I bought the winch.

Just keep this in mind when you consider a M8000 for your Pathfinder. Next time, I will get something with much more guts to it.

I will tell you that the M8000 Warn winch that I added to my Pathfinder last year has really disappointed me more than once. In November it completely stalled while pulling a smaller new Mercedes out of a muddy yard. There was an incline, but I had to use the Pathfinder to get the car up most of that. I even doubled the line back that should have supposedly given me 16000 pounds of pulling power, but there was no way that car weighed that much and the winch stalled. It is installed correctly and I even upgraded the battery just for the winch when I bought the winch.

Just keep this in mind when you consider a M8000 for your Pathfinder. Next time, I will get something with much more guts to it.

Would a stronger alternator with a higher amp keep it from stalling.....I was warned I would have that issue with all the new lighting and winch(m8000) ....It pretty much snows everyday here...I've been pulling cars out of the snow here, and have had no issues.

Would a stronger alternator with a higher amp keep it from stalling.....I was warned I would have that issue with all the new lighting and winch(m8000) ....It pretty much snows everyday here...I've been pulling cars out of the snow here, and have had no issues.

I don't really think so. My engine didn't stall. Just the winch did. So its not like it took all of the amps to zero or anything. The winch just slowed down and stalled completely. and it did it more than once. The Warn winch that I had years ago was a 9000 or 9500 lb capacity and it never failed me once. As far as I know, this is the same alternator and even a better battery so it shouldn't have stalled out pulling a small Mercedes up a hill in 6" deep mud.

From what I've read the M8000 is a Chinese built winch that warn sells to compete with all the other cheap Chinese built winches on the market. There is no comparison to the US made warns that are at least twice the price. The problem is when they put their name on it they ask too much for it. Thats why I got the smittybilt XRC8 for $299 shipped. Its probably the same winch but much cheaper.

I still have the 60 amp alt on my truck and when I bog down the winch it will kill the motor. But at least I know it's running out of juice and not just stalling out. I also found out that it doesn't take much pulling with the motor off before I'm screwed with a dead battery!

James

From what I've read the M8000 is a Chinese built winch that warn sells to compete with all the other cheap Chinese built winches on the market. There is no comparison to the US made warns that are at least twice the price. The problem is when they put their name on it they ask too much for it. Thats why I got the smittybilt XRC8 for $299 shipped. Its probably the same winch but much cheaper.

I still have the 60 amp alt on my truck and when I bog down the winch it will kill the motor. But at least I know it's running out of juice and not just stalling out. I also found out that it doesn't take much pulling with the motor off before I'm screwed with a dead battery!

James

Yeah, I paid way too much for this one too. I got it at Les Schwab and paid a huge markup on it. It was easier at the time because they just added it to my account.

Like you said, if it was just a lack battery power, it should have killed my engine too, but it didn't. Its pretty crappy. Its mostly for looks now. It might get me out of a slight jam or keep me from sliding off a ridge, but overall it really sucks.

Pezzy's got a Warn M8000 and has had no problems with it whatsoever, through some hard pulls. She even bought hers used. I'm not sure why others are having issues with theirs.

Maybe the changed manufacturing sites/specs/vendors? :shrug:

I know of 3 different versions of the M8000 winch. The old one is the best, The differences I know of is the gears differ not in size or in gear count but in the quality of the material used, and quality of wires and sobered vs crimped wire ends, The early ones have better quality selinoids like you see in there higher end winch's now. The newer ones have the cheep ones that don't seem to last long at all. On average Warn is a great company, but the M5000 and M8000 are now made elsewhere and bagged warn so they can compete with cheaper company's.

I know of 3 different versions of the M8000 winch. The old one is the best, The differences I know of is the gears differ not in size or in gear count but in the quality of the material used, and quality of wires and sobered vs crimped wire ends, The early ones have better quality selinoids like you see in there higher end winch's now. The newer ones have the cheep ones that don't seem to last long at all. On average Warn is a great company, but the M5000 and M8000 are now made elsewhere and bagged warn so they can compete with cheaper company's.

That all sounds about right. I do have nice snatch block and tree straps too. Its just a piece of crap winch. Warn shouldn't have put their name on this batch. An 8000 cap winch ought to work really well with our rigs. I would guarantee that this winch does not pull anywhere near that much weight before it bogs down and stalls. I have even respooled the winch a couple of times, thinking that maybe the cable was binding up or something. I would like to try one of those synthetic rope winch lines. That looks like a no brainer to me if they are as strong as they claim to be. No cable splinters in your hands, no awkward tangling in the spool, or at least not as much.

I've search the Internet and have not found ANY NEGATIVE REVIEWS....except for minor tweaks or suggestions, most people love this winch. Here's a link to some specs, also claims it's made in the USA! Warn M8000

Its possible that I just got a lemon. All I know is that this winch is really weak.

Can you return it as defective?

Its been on there too long now. I got it in like Oct of 09. Unfortunately, I didn't really put it to the test until last November when I needed it and it was an epic failure. It works some, but its not pulling 8000 lbs. Not even close.

Can you return it as defective?

I didn't really read the fineprint with my warranty but the link in one of the post above said LIFETIME WARRANTY, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here's that link....Warn M8000

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Its been on there too long now. I got it in like Oct of 09. Unfortunately, I didn't really put it to the test until last November when I needed it and it was an epic failure. It works some, but its not pulling 8000 lbs. Not even close.

HERE is a link to the warranty info on WARN's site, might be worth contacting them about.

I didn't really read the fineprint with my warranty but the link in one of the post above said LIFETIME WARRANTY, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here's that link....Warn M8000

Hmm, I just assumed it was like a 1 yr warranty. Les Schwab here sucks at warranty stuff that was special order. They just try to stay out of it. I am sure I have paperwork for the winch in my glove box. I will pull it out this weekend and take a look.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.