locknut torque?

RoDy

basically i dont really need a locknut socket I was planning on getting 1 just to put the right torque on the locknut checking for play is the key to it!

The FSM procedure involves a step where you put a large torque on the locknut in order to seat everything correctly, then you back it off. You basically need the socket if you want to do this step. When I most recently did mine (without the socket) I found that after driving a bit one side had loosened up and I had to tighten it again. I bet if I'd had the socket I wouldn't have needed to do that.

It's also a bit of a pain to actually tighten the locknut at all without the socket... I mean, I was putting a screwdriver into the hole and tapping the shaft with a hammer...

The FSM procedure involves a step where you put a large torque on the locknut in order to seat everything correctly, then you back it off. You basically need the socket if you want to do this step. When I most recently did mine (without the socket) I found that after driving a bit one side had loosened up and I had to tighten it again. I bet if I'd had the socket I wouldn't have needed to do that.

It's also a bit of a pain to actually tighten the locknut at all without the socket... I mean, I was putting a screwdriver into the hole and tapping the shaft with a hammer...

yeah that is basically what I was planing on doing to it... I might just get the socket to save me some trouble thanks guys great info!...

Get the socket if you want to do it 100% right. I could never get the bearings set properly without it they kept coming loose.

http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_4170.htm

Doesn't cost very much and makes the job a lot easier. Tapping the nut with a screwdriver damages the holes, well at least it started to on mine.

I recently did mine and the socket definitely makes life easier. Of course I could not find the one I bought years ago and went to the parts store thinking they've have one. Not so much but there's one for GM's that works, it has 4 prongs though so I just took off 2 with a grinder.