Building a Center Console

Terrano757

.:: Center Console ::.

Any WD21 or R3M owner will know just how stupid the stock Center console is... admittedly some models did come with a lid, but the design was still rubbish. anyway, a few weeks ago i got fed up with mine and ripped it out:

When i did this i realized that it was using a quite simple mounting system, 1 screw was screwing in from either side of the unit, and 2 screws were holding it down (just under where your handbrake goes down - under the plastic trap door you will have to pop out with a screwdriver) Once removed the console simply slides off (leaving you with a treasure chest of lost change in my case) You are then left with a very blank canvas for starting your console. I will list in steps how i made mine, and i apologize for the limited photos of the process..

1:. I layed the old console onto a large piece of thin (5mm) MDF craftwood and traced the shape of the bottom of the console (this is important!)

2:. I then cut two matching peices far larger than i needed but using the traced bottom line from the console.

3:. i took these peices out to the car and marked the side mounting screw holes (lay your chairs forward to do this)

4:. I then drilled out 2 holes where the mounting screws would then go.

5:. I then marked out the height i wanted the console to be and chopped the two peices accordingly.

6:. then i measured the width across the back of the console (between the 2 pieces of wood we have cut and screwed on)

7:. then i cut a piece for the back using the measurements i just took.

8:. Once the back had been screwed on i measured how far forward i could come before i came to the handbrake assembly.

9:. i marked out where the handbrake started and finished on the wood and i cut a peice to slot in the middle (remembering to cut out a slit for the handbrake)

10:. with that piece screwed on i screwed a long piece on the front bottom of the console (where the handbrake lever goes down to)

11:. now carefully measure where the anchor screws are underneith and cut 2 holes accordingly.

12:. Now you have a blank canvas that is securely mounted to your car and you can now customize as you wish.

13:. i then measured how low i could put the floor in my console without it being in the way of the hand brake assembly.

14:. do the same for when the handbrake is upright and cut the 2 pieces out.

15:. screw the pieces in place.

16:. now using the left over 5mm MDF cut 3 strips to border your front piece (where the hand brake goes down)

17:. Screw these 3 pieces into place, this adds a nice effect and storage too (phones ect)

18:. now cover in paint or carpet, which ever takes your liking and design up a lid.

19:. i just attached my lid using some medium priced hinges from a hardware store.

20:. once thats all done you can add switches or 12v sockets as you please!

.::Pictures of the Process::.

Basic Wooden Frame:

2nlhbt1.jpg

Top View of my Internals (notice the anchor points)

10pzyah.jpg

My Handy Carpeting Skills...

nb90z8.jpg

Comparison Between The Old vs The New Console

5b2onm.jpg

Here it is in the car with the lid on

2vbt2j8.jpg

Shot of all the new storage inside

fdejog.jpg

Made to fit my iPhone+wallet+camera :)

300xszk.jpg

I thought the hinges would look better on the outside ;D

2m2fi2c.jpg

Edited by Terrano757

looks nice and i'm in need of another console mine broke but like crazyhayseed said i don't dig the wood in the car maybe if it was dressed differently but i guess its a step up from having half cracked plastic

Looks good. Very well done. Would have been better to have found red carpeting to make it fit in with the rest of the interior, but it still looks good and works!

Only one problem....where is the button for the ejection seat?! :rofl:

I built mine out of steel, but woods works too. Much more user friendly ;)

Edited by Northernpathy

What happened to all the buttons on the old consul? Did you move them somewhere... Also, A cup holder would be nice..

Buttons did nothing.

I feel weird about putting wood in my car/truck. :wacko:

Doesn't look bad though. A for effort... But, can you better explain what you gained here?

storage obviously.

looks nice and i'm in need of another console mine broke but like crazyhayseed said i don't dig the wood in the car maybe if it was dressed differently but i guess its a step up from having half cracked plastic

why dont you "dig" wood. and how would you prefer it be dressed?

Looks good. Very well done. Would have been better to have found red carpeting to make it fit in with the rest of the interior, but it still looks good and works!

Only one problem....where is the button for the ejection seat?! :rofl:

I built mine out of steel, but woods works too. Much more user friendly ;)

Yeah i was contemplating the red, however i hate the purply red of the interior and im going to see if i can eventually change it all over :)

#1 complaint, and really only complaint of any substance, about my console is no cup holders... shrug.gif

Cup holders are to come, what i plan to do is attach Velcro to the bottom of cup holders and stick them to the top of the console when needed (Velcro sticks incredibly to marine carpet - amazingly.) and i don't have to have them in the way hen im not using them.

it just reminds me of those dj coffins or homemade subwoofer boxes but don't take me wrong the i apprecitate the work put into it . it looks better than mine. mine is the stock box and the cupholder broke off and its cracked and it rattles.

Why not just find a newer console, they are larger than both your original and the one you made? I swapped the one in my 88 out for one from a 94.

0303081447a.jpg

Mines manual and those are automatic.

i dont like how the storage box in the console obscures the handbrake lever

and the lid on those is so s**t i mean side hinges, really??

Edited by Terrano757

Mines manual and those are automatic.

i dont like how the storage box in the console obscures the handbrake lever

and the lid on those is so s**t i mean side hinges, really??

Was same for me. Making one was easier (manual ones in decent shape are almost impossible to find here) and the one I made is setup exactly the way I want it.

Plus it is fun to build stuff and say that you built it ;)

the one I made is setup exactly the way I want it.

Plus it is fun to build stuff and say that you built it ;)

2 good points there :aok: .

But, then there are people who do that and end up with things like this:

car-photo-funny-wood-body-kit-homemade-diy.jpg

:togo:

Obviously.... :rolleyes:

sorry for the sarcasm, was just a little fed up with all the unconstructive comments that day :mellow:

2 good points there :aok: .

But, then there are people who do that and end up with things like this:

car-photo-funny-wood-body-kit-homemade-diy.jpg

:togo:

How did you get a picture of my other car....? :scratchhead: