Pathfinder rim size please clarify

bro_die

Just picked up a used 2001 pathfinder. Im thinking of changin my wheels to something a little

larger tahn stock. Ive been hearing about this 31's or 33's but the only thing is taht I dont even

know what size rim to get. I know the stock are 16's but why is taht running bigger tires they run 15's?

Im also intersted in lifting this badboy. Does anybody have a suggestion to waht lift can i get out

there but wont require so much mods. Please help a fella out just need to get this project started to I can

outrun those Toyotas.

First off, start surfing this site and reading. There are literally a metric-ton of threads about everything you are asking about. Asking about tires and lift kits is the most commonly asked questions by people who come here, and it has been answered many times before. I would also recommend looking at the Members Rides section to see what other people have done with their trucks.

16inch rims have become the standard on newer trucks. Tons of people run bigger tires with 16inch rims. But a lot of people with the older trucks run with 15's as that is what size came on the truck. You can easily run bigger tires on the larger rims. I run 31's on my stock 16inch rims.

Lift kits are available, but they still require work. 4x4parts.com sells the most commonly used lift kit which generally gives you about 3inches: https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-19962004-pathfinder-c-435_437_341_8.html Takes around a full day to install with a friend helping.

Edited by Northernpathy

Outrun a Toyota? You can outrun a 3.0 Toyota on foot!

haha nice! Well ive been eying on this lift kit http://www.krfabs.com/product_detail.php?productID=2 and I really want to

try this whole new offroad thing. Im not a hardcore offroader so minor mods is fine with me as long as I can trail and

do stuffs those other rigs can do Im fine with it, but as always you will never be satisfied and will keep

on modifying parts. So input on this lift kit would be greatly appreciated.

If there are some easier trails in your area I really recommend getting out there and enjoying your truck while it is stock. Stock 4x4s will do a lot given a chance and some common sense. This also lets you learn the ropes like: finding out what you forgot to pack, picking lines through tougher terrain, extraction, etc. when you are not in over your head. Plus you can enjoy your vehicle without spending reams of cash on mods right away - it will help you decide which mods you need first depending on your wheeling area: maybe armor is more important than tires, maybe not. One other thing is you can spend a liitle money if needed on maintenance - don't wheel with something on the verge of break down. HTH. :)

haha nice! Well ive been eying on this lift kit http://www.krfabs.com/product_detail.php?productID=2 and I really want to

try this whole new offroad thing. Im not a hardcore offroader so minor mods is fine with me as long as I can trail and

do stuffs those other rigs can do Im fine with it, but as always you will never be satisfied and will keep

on modifying parts. So input on this lift kit would be greatly appreciated.

That kit is called a SFD (Sub Frame Drop). Not sure if anyone has installed that particular kit, but a few people have installed SFD's. Though it is not an easy "minor" install as you are asking for in a lift.

To be honest, if you aren't looking to do any major off roading or modifications to your truck, you are better off not installing a lift kit just yet. I have run 31inch tires on my truck without a lift in stock condition and went everywhere the other trucks with lift kits went when off-roading. These trucks are very off-road capable with little to no modifications.

If you are new to off-roading, then don't jump in spending money here and there when you don't need to. Learn how your truck handles as it is off-road then go from there.

Edit: I see BowTied beat me to saying it ;)

Edited by Northernpathy

Kool! I will be neeeding tires our trails here are muddy. Our weather is not like the ones you guys have and everything is is muddy when it rains.

Any recomendations on tires that are perfect for mud? Also the siz I would want to make it look bigger than stock so waht tire size can compare to

31's I would want to try that out. Has to be good on mud though because rain here is crazy and the palce just gets filled up with mud.

Okay thanks for the help all found me tires will do some pics while im adding some touch on this path.

I think ill be getting some mud terrain tires thatll equal to 32's and its been clarified when I went to

the tire shop.

I think ill be getting some mud terrain tires thatll equal to 32's and its been clarified when I went to

the tire shop.

I hope the guy at the tire shop knows what he's talking about..... Those 32's will rub , even with a 2" AC lift, make sue your willing to deal with rubbing issues! 31's definitely NO rubbing issues.

I hope the guy at the tire shop knows what he's talking about..... Those 32's will rub , even with a 2" AC lift, make sue your willing to deal with rubbing issues! 31's definitely NO rubbing issues.

He knows whats hes talking about hes the one asking me if im ready to deal with the rub but I wasnt too sure if

itll rub or not. Oh well shrink down the size to 31's.