Why does my windshield have vertical lines?

RedRider3141

2001.5 FSM says it's an antenna, too:

windshieldantenna.png

I remember reading somewhere that the fender mounted antenna is only for AM band, but I'm uncertain about that.

Oh, on page EL-188 it says this about troubleshooting radio:

fmam.png

Edited by Towncivilian

The older pathfinders also have the windshield antenna. Some antennas are better for picking up certain signals, so basically both antennas receive all the time, i wouldn't say one is better than the other, but I think it's cool that they have both! My moms hyundai just has a window antenna, and sometimes it just doesn't do the job right.

I have heard of it mentioned as a booster antenna as well.

You don't really need your motorized antenna working (going up and down) for it to pick up stations, but it does help. Though with the weather we are having in Ottawa right now, the antenna does get frozen in place a lot (either up or down).

I don't listen to local radio either. Only thing I use the radio for is picking up my FM transmitter for my satellite radio or ipod. When you get sat radio, listening to regular local radio will drive you insane. Is nice to listen to the radio without commercials (except for a few specialty channels on sat radio) and also be able to listen to your favorite channels anywhere in North America.

One thing I would like to know is how to stop the motorized antenna from coming up when you turn on the radio. There is no fuse or relay that I can find to stop it. One person said the only way is to cut the power wire to the motor and install a switch in-line to stop it :scratchhead:

I would like to be able to stop it from going up when on the trail so it doesn't get banged up and bend by branches. I can turn off the radio to keep it down, but I would still like to listen to the radio while on a long trip on the trails :shrug:

One thing I would like to know is how to stop the motorized antenna from coming up when you turn on the radio. There is no fuse or relay that I can find to stop it. One person said the only way is to cut the power wire to the motor and install a switch in-line to stop it :scratchhead:

I would like to be able to stop it from going up when on the trail so it doesn't get banged up and bend by branches. I can turn off the radio to keep it down, but I would still like to listen to the radio while on a long trip on the trails :shrug:

k9sar wired a cut-off switch to do this very thing.

Aftermarket stereos are wired so that when the radio is on, it provides power to the antenna, and when you switch to aux or cd, it cuts power to the antenna so it retracts.

I bought a small black plastic switch, installed it next to the rear wiper switch and used it to turn off the retractable antenna. I also have my amps hooked up to another switch next to that one if I need to turn them off as well. works great.

I cant remember if you have a stock radio or an aftermarket...but when you install an aftermarket radio, there is ALWAYS a BLUE lead called "power antenna"..traditionally used as a +12 volt when unit is powered up to give +12 signal to an amplifier to turn on...I havent looked at mine, but if you did an install properly, you wouldve bought a wiring harness to attach to your new head-unit, and interupting the feed from the power antennae might do the trick....It wont be the 12 volt power source...but the +12 volt "switch" so to speak.

Its TOO cold for me to rip my dash open right now...or id go do it right now too!

Tye

Speaking from recent experience: I just removed the Alpine HU that came in my Pathfinder to put in my Kenwood (I just liked the one I was familiar with better). Both Stereos had the power antennae wire. I left it N/C on my car since I have a stationary mount. I noticed alot of other weird/ unfamiliar stuff in the dash that I'll post in another topic.

I cant remember if you have a stock radio or an aftermarket...but when you install an aftermarket radio, there is ALWAYS a BLUE lead called "power antenna"..traditionally used as a +12 volt when unit is powered up to give +12 signal to an amplifier to turn on...I havent looked at mine, but if you did an install properly, you wouldve bought a wiring harness to attach to your new head-unit, and interupting the feed from the power antennae might do the trick....It wont be the 12 volt power source...but the +12 volt "switch" so to speak.

Its TOO cold for me to rip my dash open right now...or id go do it right now too!

Tye

If you don't want the antenna to go up - ever - just disable the antenna motor. Then you can just manually extend the antenna and leave it that way. They have a tendency to fail anyhow, the gears get stripped so it will whir away trying to raise or lower the antenna.

Mine has been disabled since before I bought it, probably because either the motor had failed or the gears had gone and it was just easier to permanently leave it up. My antenna is kind of hooped however, I whacked it with a couple trees and then dropped a canoe on it last summer so it's got a nice permanent kink and a bit of a "speed angle". Eventually I guess I'll just replace it with a metal whip.