Help! Por Favor.

synthetic

Passenger front axle - i can wiggle and when i do it replicates the noise i hear goin down the road - my autohub screwed up on that side(ie - stopped rotating mid-spin), just replaced with warn manuals.. but i had it show it's head on the freeway a few nights back - i was cornering and it sounded horrific like the axle was vibrating itself retarded in there.. loudly. It happpens a LOT on choppy streets out here and half the time when i find myself slightly on the gas in a high gear but traveling slowly..

so very lost, lost my mechanics.. now 4whl parts is my only option buuut they're pricy.. and if this can help pinpoint it i can probably do it myself.

any help is appreciated.

I had a noise similar to that once a while ago. It was Awful sounding. I had the hardest time pinpointing the cause because it was pretty random when it would happen. For me it was the auto hub same as you but it turned out it was because it wasn't fully unengaging,(if that's a word) after I would take it out of 4x4. To get it to go away for me I would always have to take it out of 4x4, then back the vehicle up about 4-5 feet to be sure then go about my business. It would happen 90% of the time if i did not do this. I never went to a Manual Hub as you did, but what Nunya asked is what my thoughts were too. Perhaps the Manual hubs are still locked?

The hubs are unlocked.. double and triple checked that a while ago.

edit for potentially related info - i also cannot access 4lo w/o turning the truck off and starting it in 4lo. I reversed into a pole a while back, when i hit the pole my shift lever for t/case threw me somewhere in there in limbo (i didnt realize then but i was trotting around with 4 partially engaged..) now i can access 4hi and go into neutral on the tcase but cannot come out of neutral back to 4hi > 2 or even 4lo while running and tranny in neutral.

have to shut truck off to get out of tcase neutral or into 4low.

from 4hi back to 2hi i have no issue though..

Edited by synthetic

it wasn't fully unengaging,(if that's a word)

It's not. Try this instead:

Disengaging ie: dis·en·gage (dsn-gj)

v. dis·en·gaged, dis·en·gag·ing, dis·en·gag·es

v.tr.

1. To release from something that holds fast, connects, or entangles. See Synonyms at extricate.

2. To release (oneself) from an engagement, pledge, or obligation.

v.intr.

To free or detach oneself; withdraw.

500px-Grammar_Nazi_Icon_Text.svg.png

Heil!

:ar15::owned: LMAO nice call man. I sat here for a while staring at the screen before I hit the POST button and was thinking.... "Dowser.... I think you're still high from the Tylenol 3's you've been taking because I'm pretty sure unengaging is not a word. Hmmmmmmm what the *my "vocabulary" is so small* is the word I'm looking for. Screw it... whats the chance someones gonna call ya on it. And besides I'll just put a little Bracket in there that shows people you are intelligent enough that you know." :takebow: At any rate, I couldn't for the life of me remember DISengaging. :suicide: Edited by Dowser

Since you say your having transfer case issues, I must ask... Are you sure your getting it completly into 2hi?

And Dowser, don't feel bad... I thought unengaging was right and got the point across enough for me. (and my spellcheck actually corrected me having letters backwards! :lol: )